IWB Gun

IWB Gun

This is a discussion on IWB Gun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to carrying and would like some advice. I use to carry a Kimber Pro Carry in a Galco Miami Vice holster, didn't like ...

Thread: IWB Gun

IWB Gun

I'm new to carrying and would like some advice. I use to carry a Kimber Pro Carry in a Galco Miami Vice holster, didn't like it. I want to carry IWB and am looking at gun/holster options. I have narrowed it down to a Kimber CDP, but don't know if I should get the 4" or 5". How is the 5" to carry IWB, and will there be much of a difference in the two? I also want to use the gun to start shooting in some local USPSA matches.

I carry the 4" and 5" not much difference if you have the right holster. You might want to check out the crossbreed holsters. They make it a lot easier to carry either. They will fit the 4 or 5" gun....
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

JD
    Administrator
    There's not much real difference in the 5" Kimber and the 4" Pro, the only real advantage the 4" has is that it will clear leather a bit quicker than the 5". For most people the grip is the hardest part to conceal and both the 5" and 4" Pro have the same grip dimensions, there is a 4" Compact, which has the small frame but I think you're referring to the Pro and not the compact.

There are many fine IWB holsters for either, my one recommendation is to choose on with widely spaced, offset loops to better distribute the weight of the gun.

Some good choices are:

Comp-Tac (Various Models)
    CrossBreed Holsters (Super Tuck)
    Desibens Gunleather (#2 and #3)
    FIST (Various Models)
    HBE (COM III)
    Milt Sparks (VMII)
    UBG (Canute)
    Tucker Gunleather (Various Models)

There are a wide variety of attachment options, I prefer leather snap loops, but that's just a personal preference, there are several threads discussing the merits of each method.

Check out this thread for more on attachment options: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ns-merged.html.

Lead Moderator
    I personally like a 4" gun due to when I sit a 5" would hit the seat before my rear. Also I prefer the Light Weight models , since recoil isn't much different between models.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I personally like a 4" gun due to when I sit a 5" would hit the seat before my rear. Also I prefer the Light Weight models , since recoil isn't much different between models.
    I'm with Rocky.

Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    There's not much real difference in the 5" Kimber and the 4" Pro, the only real advantage the 4" has is that it will clear leather a bit quicker than the 5". For most people the grip is the hardest part to conceal and both the 5" and 4" Pro have the same grip dimensions, there is a 4" Compact, which has the small frame but I think you're referring to the Pro and not the compact.
    JD, had already mentioned about the 4" Compact but I would like to talk more about this. I'm fairly new to 1911s and have to admit that I was not aware of this option till recently.

akblackfoot, if your not aware of the 4" Compact, it's basically a 4" barrel on a Compact/Officers frame. Which I think is important to know since the grip length is more the issue than barrel length when determining the best CCW (concealed carry weapon). Personally I like the 4" Compact, it's like having the best of both worlds - A longer barrel with the shorter grip. I do not own a 4" Compact but instead a 4 1/4" (commander) size barrel with the compact frame which is also an option. Confused yet?

Here's a pictures that shows the difference of the two.
    The first one is a full size 5" 1911 (RIA Tactical).
    The second one is a 4 1/4" barrel with the Compact frame/grip (Sig Revolution C3). See the difference?
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinCarry View Post
    JD, had already mentioned about the 4" Compact but I would like to talk more about this. I'm fairly new to 1911s and have to admit that I was not aware of this option till recently.

akblackfoot, if your not aware of the 4" Compact, it's basically a 4" barrel on a Compact/Officers frame. Which I think is important to know since the grip length is more the issue than barrel length when determining the best CCW (concealed carry weapon). Personally I like the 4" Compact, it's like having the best of both worlds - A longer barrel with the shorter grip. I do not own a 4" Compact but instead a 4 1/4" (commander) size barrel with the compact frame which is also an option. Confused yet?
    Az Husker makes a good point on this, although in most cases it's an aftermarket mod unless you're looking at a few specific guns, but a full frame with bobtail is about as concealable as a compact frame gun.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...alability.html

Bobtail

I'd really like to stay away from the smaller grip frame. I was aware of the compact, but wanted a full size grip. Can a Kimber Pro CDP be bobtailed? Who does it and how much would it cost?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by akblackfoot View Post
    I'd really like to stay away from the smaller grip frame. I was aware of the compact, but wanted a bull size grip. Can a Kimber Pro CDP be bobtailed? Who does it and how much would it cost?
    Any full frame single stack 1911 can be bobtailed (I don't think I've ever seen a double stack get the treatment)

Any 1911 smith should be able to do it, prices vary.

Had a Kimber Compact Stainless (4"), and it use to ride in a Milt Sparks "Executives Companion" IWB holster. Very comfy, though expensive. Never had a problem with the barrel poking me when sitting down.

Sponsored Links