Method to make a nylon holster fit better

This is a discussion on Method to make a nylon holster fit better within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried this last night and it worked great. I have an inexpensive shoulder holster that is made for snub nose revolvers. The gun rides ...

I tried this last night and it worked great. I have an inexpensive shoulder holster that is made for snub nose revolvers. The gun rides horizontally in the holster and there is a retainer strap with a thumb break tab that goes around the hammer.The problem is the gun does not fit tight in the holster. The nylon sleeve of the holster lets the gun move up and down to much and if I adjust the retainer strap so it nice and tight to the hammer I have to run the snap of the thumb break down the side so far the end of the tab does not stick out past the gun to allow the snap to be opened by popping it with your thumb. Looking at the gun in the holster it occured to me that if I could keep the gun from going into the holster to far, and also keep it up to tthe top of the holster it would work better.

The solution, I took some black thread and a needle and sewed a line of stitches under and in front of the trigger guard of the gun. I placed the UNLOADED gun into the holster, and attempted to get the needle thru the wall of the holster below the trigger guard. I started in the middle of the trigger guard. The first attempt actually hit the trigger guard so I moved down a little, sewed a line of stitches across the bottom working my way around the middle of the trigger guard, toward the barrel. I followed the curve of the trigger guard up towards the cylinder and then stiched back to where I started.

The gun now sits high in the holster, and does not go in to far so the retainer strap stays tight against the hammer and I don't have to worry about the strap slipping over the end of the hammer, letting the gun fall out.

Give this a try, if you mess up you should be able to easily snip the thread on the outside and remove the stitches and try again.

Good for you! I've done similar things just using a well placed chicago screw and a hole punch.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    Good for you! I've done similar things just using a well placed chicago screw and a hole punch.
    I think this would be a better option , because most likely the thread used isn't going to be very strong. For example , what if the thread becomes stressed, or unravels? thge gun may be loose enough to let the gun fall out.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Nice work and well done! Thanks for the idea.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I would also be wary of hand stitching it. Most likely you used cotton thread also, which isn't very durable. A sewing machine using nylon thread and overstitching will make it secure though. I've made a few nylon holsters, mag pouches, and other tactical gear. So I agree with rocky, if you don't have access to a sewing machine and nylon thread, go with a chicago screw.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I think this would be a better option , because most likely the thread used isn't going to be very strong. For example , what if the thread becomes stressed, or unravels? thge gun may be loose enough to let the gun fall out.
    Good point Rocky, guess I need to stop at my mothers, she has lots of leather working gear, so hopefully I can borrow a punch and a screw. I may even ask if I can borrow the gear to make a leather holster. See what I can do on the cheap.

Ted

Lead Moderator
    Another hint. Heat up a punch or screwdriver to red hot , then punch through the nylon. It will melt the edge of the hole and will "weld" the nylon together.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You might try using thread from leather shops. You can get it wax coated and it is extremely strong.

Links