A little disappointed with Comp-Tac

This is a discussion on A little disappointed with Comp-Tac within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff It isn't like it was their fault the screw comes loose. I see a lot of you use Loctite, or home ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little disappointed with Comp-Tac

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    It isn't like it was their fault the screw comes loose.

I see a lot of you use Loctite, or home made repair parts. Unless the Holster maker says to Loctite the screws once you get set up, I would say it is their fault.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I see a lot of you use Loctite, or home made repair parts. Unless the Holster maker says to Loctite the screws once you get set up, I would say it is their fault.
    Are you kidding me?

If my package of under pants doesn't tell me to wipe regularly then it's the manufacturer's fault when they get stained right?

We laugh when the manual for our new gun says to make sure it's unloaded before cleaning and say it should be common sense but you want the holster maker to write a whole instruction manual or we'll blame them for every little thing that might or could go wrong.

Always trying to blame someone. The OP says that he/she knew that the screws worked loose regularly and forgot to tighten them up. Just like I know mine works itself loose. At this point, it becomes personal responsibility to remedy the problem not the manufacturer's fault I waited until the screws got lost and expect them to replace them at no charge.

Can you tell I'm planning on buying another MTAC? My dad's birthday is coming up and I'm hoping they'll see I'm sticking up for them and give me a real good deal!!
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Can you tell I'm planning on buying another MTAC? My dad's birthday is coming up and I'm hoping they'll see I'm sticking up for them and give me a real good deal!!
    have you tried a supertuck, I've never heard of the screws loosening up on them. I have one and I love it. Been wearing it for several weeks now with no issues whatsoever, other than I almost went somewhere with it I wasn't supposed to because I forgot I had it on
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Yes, I am serious. Stained underwear is missuse of the product, they're clothing, not toilet paper.

If he is using his holster as a wheel chock and it comes apart, shame on him. If he is using it as a holster, and the maker uses a screw to hold the clip on, and it falls out, that's a problem. A problem it seems like quite a few people have had to deal with on this forum.

I would no more tolerate a holster that had to be constantly tweaked with, than I would a car that had to have the lug nuts tightened every few days to keep the wheels on it.

Are you kidding me?

If my package of under pants doesn't tell me to wipe regularly then it's the manufacturer's fault when they get stained right?

We laugh when the manual for our new gun says to make sure it's unloaded before cleaning and say it should be common sense but you want the holster maker to write a whole instruction manual or we'll blame them for every little thing that might or could go wrong.

Always trying to blame someone. The OP says that he/she knew that the screws worked loose regularly and forgot to tighten them up. Just like I know mine works itself loose. At this point, it becomes personal responsibility to remedy the problem not the manufacturer's fault I waited until the screws got lost and expect them to replace them at no charge.

I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I would no more tolerate a holster that had to be constantly tweaked with, than I would a car that had to have the lug nuts tightened every few days to keep the wheels on it.
    Difference being, once you notice the lug nuts keep coming loose, you are now responsible to take it in for repairs. You don't get to keep running it until the lug nuts dissappear and the wheel falls off.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

The cost of an employee probably averages about $35/hr by the time you pay their hourly wage, benifits, taxes, insurance etc... If it takes that employee 5 minutes to grab your envelope, address it, grab the grommett and screw, seal it up and drop it in the outgoing mail then you are at $7.00 Don't forget the person who took the call and has to call out to shipping and relay the request.

A simple request, while the materials may be inexpensive, still costs a business the same from a processing standpoint as an expensive request. Frequently I could sell a six figure machine for less incurred costs and time than I can a $100 tool. I'm just saying there's a lot more to it than a lot of people realize and you should cut them some slack. Life and business is a lot more complicated than it used to be.

Your business compass is way off the map! Take it from someone who owns a business. What you don't realize it is VERY expensive to find a new customer and KEEP them. Something like a $.10 part is not WORTH charging for in the BIG picture
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    What you don't realize it is VERY expensive to find a new customer and KEEP them. Something like a $.10 part is not WORTH charging for in the BIG picture
    Agreed. And I would guess that we can also agree that the part might cost .10 but the "cost" is a lot more. Now my point is that the business may "choose" to go the extra mile and do something for free but what gives the consumer the right to "expect" and "require" it? Why is the fact that an employee choose to follow what is likely a company policy a point for us to redicule them?

I once crashed and burned on one of my horses causing me to tear off a part of the saddle. I called up Colorado Saddlery and it just so happened that the president of the company picked up the phone. I explained that I lost this part because I crashed and couldn't find a replacement. He said no problem and shipped me one for free. Now does this give me the right to require this from everyone I do business with? Do you think that everyone below him on the organizational chart had the authority to ship stuff out the door for free? It was a nice gesture which I greatly appreciated and may get him some repeat business some day along with me repeating the story. But now is it OK for me to critisize everyone else who doesn't give me free stuff?

Who is John Galt?

Agreed. And I would guess that we can also agree that the part might cost .10 but the "cost" is a lot more. Now my point is that the business may "choose" to go the extra mile and do something for free but what gives the consumer the right to "expect" and "require" it? Why is the fact that an employee choose to follow what is likely a company policy a point for us to redicule them?

I once crashed and burned on one of my horses causing me to tear off a part of the saddle. I called up Colorado Saddlery and it just so happened that the president of the company picked up the phone. I explained that I lost this part because I crashed and couldn't find a replacement. He said no problem and shipped me one for free. Now does this give me the right to require this from everyone I do business with? Do you think that everyone below him on the organizational chart had the authority to ship stuff out the door for free? It was a nice gesture which I greatly appreciated and may get him some repeat business some day along with me repeating the story. But now is it OK for me to critisize everyone else who doesn't give me free stuff?
    I will try one more time and then I am done. Doesn't matter if the customer expects it or not. Business is tough and customers are hard to find and keep. In the BIG (there is that word again) picture it is NOT worth charging for. Companies that do little things for customers go a long long way in repeat business and build a stellar reputation. You are too focused on COST to see it COSTS too much to charge for in cases like this. Again this is what sets the BEST from the rest.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    I will try one more time and then I am done. Doesn't matter if the customer expects it or not. Business is tough and customers are hard to find and keep. In the BIG (there is that word again) picture it is NOT worth charging for. Companies that do little things for customers go a long long way in repeat business and build a stellar reputation. You are too focused on COST to see it COSTS too much to charge for in cases like this. Again this is what sets the BEST from the rest.
    That's what I was trying to say!

My wife used to own an Interior Design business and the cost of getting new clients was several hundred dollars (advertising, mailing, seminars, etc.); sometimes, things didn't go right, but we found out that when you fix it fast and free, you have a client for a very long time, and the relationship is better than when everything is perfect the first time !!!

In today's business world it is the SERVICE that makes the difference.

At this point, 394 members of this forum have read this thread and they are all potential clients that will have to choose between several brands ...

See, after reading your posts, I will try super-tuck next time I want this kind of holster.

BTW, thanks for the suggestions ! I have already installed a faucet type rubber washer that I had laying around.

Locktite, even "blue" I don't know ... If I want to change the cant or the height, I'll have to remove these screws and I don't know how the nuts embedded in the leather are fastened...

Don't get me wrong, the M-Tac is really a good holster, but the "devil is in the details". I will not be as enthusiastic to recommend it as I was before.
    For a few dollars
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Some of the best comments I've heard about Crossbreed, is their customer service is exceptional. I haven't had to actually deal with any issues with them (only had the holster for a few weeks but it shows absolutely no signs of problems). But, one thing that led to me going with them was I had heard so many good things about the good business it was, it just pushed me over the edge and I went with them.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    Some of the best comments I've heard about Crossbreed, is their customer service is exceptional. I haven't had to actually deal with any issues with them (only had the holster for a few weeks but it shows absolutely no signs of problems). But, one thing that led to me going with them was I had heard so many good things about the good business it was, it just pushed me over the edge and I went with them.
    Thanks for the info.
    Another operation that understands customer service is FIST.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I was trying to let it go but maybe we are debating two different points here. If I can paraphrase the OP:

1) I know my stuff comes apart
    2) I let my stuff come apart and did nothing about it
    3) The manufacturer won't give me free stuff when I let my crap fall apart and I'm mad about it.

I read this and go, "where's the personal responsibility?" Could the manufacturer have thrown some stuff in an envelope? Certianly. Would it have been in their best interest? Very possibly. Are they required to do so? Absolutely not.

Here we are as proponents of taking responsibility for our own safety and saying no to the nanny state but there isn't anyone here that wants to apply that when doing business with eachother as well? There is no doubt in my mind that if someone called them up and said the kydex developed a crack or said the leather had a tear in it that they'd be all over fixing it and making it right. That's "customer service." Giving away free stuff is "marketing." And admitting personal responsibility is being a "stand up guy"

Who is John Galt?

I read this and go, "where's the personal responsibility?" Could the manufacturer have thrown some stuff in an envelope? Certianly. Would it have been in their best interest? Very possibly. Are they required to do so? Absolutely not.
    See, I'm pretty sure no one has said that they should be required to do so. The OP and others are just stating that it might have been a good decision from a customer service standpoint. Sounds like the OP won't be buying from them again, nor recommending them again. This means they have lost at least 1 customer, and who knows how many more.

But of course the company is not "required" to do this. I don't think anyone ever made that gesture.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    See, I'm pretty sure no one has said that they should be required to do so. The OP and others are just stating that it might have been a good decision from a customer service standpoint. Sounds like the OP won't be buying from them again, nor recommending them again. This means they have lost at least 1 customer, and who knows how many more.

But of course the company is not "required" to do this. I don't think anyone ever made that gesture.
    You are "requiring" them to do so as a condition of ever doing business with them again and refusing to admit that "it was my fault I let my crap fall apart. And because I'm mad I let my crap fall apart and they won't give me free stuff, I'm never doing business with them again." Personal responsibility, nanny state way of thinking, and total BS in my book.

Who is John Galt?

You are "requiring" them to do so as a condition of ever doing business with them again and refusing to admit that "it was my fault I let my crap fall apart. And because I'm mad I let my crap fall apart and they won't give me free stuff, I'm never doing business with them again." Personal responsibility, nanny state way of thinking, and total BS in my book.
    wow, ummm...well, coming from several other comments on here, the screws on this particular holster loosen up quite frequently. Now, my supertuck has absolutely no problems, nor have I ever read of any problems with them. And I did a TON of reviews before I purchased. So it actually sounds like the loosening of screws is the holster manufacturer's problem to begin with, this is what is leading the OP to his viewpoint (if I am correct??)

Back to someone else's lug nut example...if you buy a truck from Ford, due to their rotor & wheel design, the lug nuts loosen up after about a month. Would you buy a Ford again, or would you save your having to fix their product and buy something else?

Odds are because of the annoying screw loosening, the OP is not 100% satisfied with the product to begin with. But perhaps if comp-tac had gone that extra mile to help him out, he might have stayed with them or tried another product, now it doesn't look like it.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links