A little disappointed with Comp-Tac - Page 3

A little disappointed with Comp-Tac

This is a discussion on A little disappointed with Comp-Tac within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So you're saying that the OP has no responsponsibility and MTAC should give him a lifetime supply of screws every time he calls in and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little disappointed with Comp-Tac

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    So you're saying that the OP has no responsponsibility and MTAC should give him a lifetime supply of screws every time he calls in and says he lost one?

An affect of their design may be that the screws come loose. Most of us able bodied and capeable people throw a drop of non permenant locktite on the threads and are plenty happy with it because we like the design.

As I said earlier; If you know the lug nuts have a habit of working themselves loose, are you absolved of responsibility to do something about it before the wheel falls off? Take it back to the dealer!

So again, my question is; when did it become the company's responsibility to give away free stuff when the customer failed to take personal responsiblity and remedy a known problem (i.e. he knew it works it's way loose but waited until they fell out)? In my opinion there are completely different issues here or maybe we're just splitting screws?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    So you're saying that the OP has no responsponsibility and MTAC should give him a lifetime supply of screws every time he calls in and says he lost one?

An affect of their design may be that the screws come loose. Most of us able bodied and capeable people throw a drop of non permenant locktite on the threads and are plenty happy with it because we like the design.

So again, my question is; when did it become the company's responsibility to give away free stuff when the customer failed to take personal responsiblity and remedy a known problem (i.e. he knew it works it's way loose but waited until they fell out)? In my opinion there are completely different issues here or maybe we're just splitting screws?
    I do see what you are saying, I really do. And I agree to a point. It's not necessarily the company's responsibility to give him the parts. But it's not his responsibility to continue doing business with them if he feels unhappy with the product or service, regardless of what his reason is.

Now to tell you where I would have been on the issue. I might have informed them of my problems with their holster screws loosening up and then asked if they can help me out in some way. If they didn't I would have not bought anymore products from them. But that is just me.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Well if all 394 views of this thread asked for free screws and shipping, things would get mighty expensive for them. They throw in the wrench for you, and cannot be responsible for how tight folks put the screws in after changing them around. OMO of course.
    They did give me some free clips when they changed them out, just for the asking, with no issues with mine other than the older style.

I'd bet a phone call would get you the lone part you are seeking. Human to human contact works better than an impersonal electronic message.

VIP Member
    I'm wondering how many others have had this problem with the MTAC? I've seen several people refer to this problem in this thread, but after I don't recall hearing of this before. I've had an MTAC for over a year and use it daily. The screws have never come loose, or come out. I do however, occasionally check the screws, clips, etc... on every holster I own and have had to retighten, or adjust, all of them at some time or another.

Yes, if he had called he probably would have gotten the problem resolved free of charge, instead of an electronic reply.

But I also agree, that he has to take personal responsibility for maintenance of not only his gun, but also the related equipment.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I do see what you are saying, I really do. And I agree to a point. It's not necessarily the company's responsibility to give him the parts. But it's not his responsibility to continue doing business with them if he feels unhappy with the product or service, regardless of what his reason is.
    Agreed. I have no problem with the OP having an issue with the design or function of the product and I agree the OP can take his money anywhere he likes in the future. I'm only saying it seems a bit shallow to bash the customer service in this instance. I completely agree MTAC would likely have "bought" themselves a reference had they gave stuff away for free but I don't think anyone has a right to bash customer service for not doing so.

Pleasure discussing the issue!
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Pleasure discussing the issue!
    yes I believe we have come to a mutual understanding on the issue. And thank you for the helpful little breaks to discuss this in between studying, it relieves the stress somehow.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Rip off!! I refuse to pay shipping if I can avoid it in any way! I recently bought a fire safe from Amazon.com. 100lbs and still free shipping. I feel bad for the UPS guy who had to haul it up our apartment stairs though. It shook the building when he put it down.

I've bit my tongue most of the day, but I will try one more time. After two decades in the aerospace and automotive industries, I have high expectations for fasteners. I expect fasteners to stay fastened.

If a manufacturer uses a fastener, and has repeated failures, he has a design flaw. In essence, "it's his fault". He is selling a product that does not perform as advertised.

As for customer service, that is his choice. If he wants to go above and beyond, great. If he tells me to grab a piece of fat, and slide off, so be it.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    After two decades in the aerospace and automotive industries, I have high expectations for fasteners. I expect fasteners to stay fastened.
    Hey, all in fun, but I have to say when I worked on the F-15 in Saudi Arabia during the 1st Gulf War, I seem to remember doing a lot of safety wiring of fasteners so they wouldn't come loose. And fasteners on the eight engine bay panels along the belly of the plane were notorious for vibrating loose.

Who is John Galt?

I am sorry to hear that Comp-Tac treated you that way. I've always heard that they are a great company. And I am considering ordering one, but that was most rude of them. Minus one on their part.
    Mykel

more later...

I have 4 Comptac holsters and have never had a problem getting replacement parts. Once I broke a first generation kydex clip on my minotuar, I called to order another holster and mentioned it to the lovely lady and told her to add them to my order at my cost she sent them at no charge with my order. Maybe since I was ordering another minotaur they sent it but I thought it was nice of them anyway.

Wow I'm really suprised at the give Me take care of Me additude.
    Put some locktite on it.
    Take care of your stuff.
    Stop whining!

Since the screws do not bottom out because of the rubber bushing, I consider the checking of the screws normal maintenance. After I got the holster adjusted to my preferred height and cant, I put a drop of blue Loctite on the threads. I still check them on occasion, but they have stayed in place.

If I do happen to lose a screw or bushing, I'll just improvise something that I have laying around or use some of the suggestions here.

I've never had any problem with Comp-Tac squaring me away on any issues I've had.
    Then again, we didn't read your part of the email either....it could have sounded more like a request to purchase to them...dunno'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links