A little disappointed with Comp-Tac

This is a discussion on A little disappointed with Comp-Tac within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As you might know, I have a M-Tac I have been very satisfied with for a few months. The screws holding the J-hooks have a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little disappointed with Comp-Tac

A little disappointed with Comp-Tac

As you might know, I have a M-Tac I have been very satisfied with for a few months.
    The screws holding the J-hooks have a tendency to work loose and need to be tightened every few days.
    I forgot to do it and the J-hook came loose and I lst the little rubber grommet.
    I sent an e-mail inquiring about the price of the grommet and this is the answer:

JF,

We can send you an assortment of hardware for your M-TAC for $2, plus $4.50 S&H. If you go to Mounting Options, you will see a listing for Spare Hardware. Put that in your shopping cart, and then leave a note in the Comments box what holster you need it for.

Josh
    Inside Sales
    Comp-Tac Victory Gear, LLC

So the grommet would cost me $6.50 if I ordered it ... which I am not. I think they could have thrown a grommet in an envelope put a stamp on it and send it to me.
    Some other holster makers such as FIST and others did it for me for small parts.
    I am always annoyed when a business forgets that customer satisfaction is the most important factor to success and they screwed up for less than a dollar.

{Rant Mode Off}
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I would just go to a hardware store and buy a piece of rubber hose and cut to length. You'll by a foot of the stuff for less than .50cent and have it immediatly. Additionally, you could buy extra screws for less than .10 a piece.

I guess the other difference is that they aren't sitting around waiting for people to call in with orders. I'm sure they are busier than can be imagined. I guess I appreciate when someone goes the extra 3 miles, but in this case, I'd cut them some slack. It isn't like it was their fault the screw comes loose. I have the same problem with mine. Sooner or later, I'll put some locktite on the screw. (but probably not before I lose one like you did and have to go thru the hassle to replace it)
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I'd call and b*tch.... but that's just me :-) They should take care of you on that one.
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I would just go to a hardware store and buy a piece of rubber hose and cut to length. You'll by a foot of the stuff for less than .50cent and have it immediatly. Additionally, you could buy extra screws for less than .10 a piece.
    )
    +1. It's not hard to find something to replace the grommets with at the hardware store for about .20 cents. With all due respect it seems a small matter to get down on Comp-Tac for.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    +1. It's not hard to find something to replace the grommets with at the hardware store for about .20 cents.
    I'm with these guys on this one. Matter of fact, I probably have some rubber fuel line or vacuum lines laying around the toolbox in the garage that would work. Use some blue loc-tite on the screws next time you get the adjustments correct and the way you want.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    In general

I too am annoyed with inflated shipping costs. Especially with things that fit in envelopes via us postal mail. I am happy to pay reasonable shipping and packaging costs, but i have seen inflated cost time and time again. I always empty my cart when I see a lame shipping charge.

UPS retail shipping costs are a scam. Shippers with large accounts pay less then half the retail cost. Fedex gives airline employees a discount of around half as well. Fuel surcharge?
    Amazon is the best. Shipping for pickup at a local store is great too (but then there is sales tax...)

On a related note, I received a Shooting Missology DVD that was scratched up. I emailed Tactical Response Gear and they sent a replacement one at their own cost AND they paid for shipping! I appreciate it when a company stands behind its products.

BTW I agree with Ram Rod - you should put some blue loctite on those screws one you get it back together to prevent them loosening in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    In general

I too am annoyed with inflated shipping costs. Especially with things that fit in envelopes via us postal mail.
    I agree $4.50 for something they can toss in an envelope in less than two minutes. Now, I suppose if it was happening to them a lot, I could understand their position.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

It's not just as simple as someone throwing something in an envelope people. There is a cost to doing business. The envelope costs money, the postage costs money, the material costs money, the time for an employee to go get the parts and put them in the envelope, log them out of enventory so the business' tax statements are correct at the end of the year. Now there's the cost of the building, the bin the material sits in.

I work in sales and I try to take care of my customers as good as I can but sometimes you just can't be everywhere bending over backwards for everyone. I've been known to tell my customers, "sure, I'd be happy to find that part for you but you can call this person and they'll sell it to you direct for about 30% less than having me be your middle man."
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

It's not just as simple as someone throwing something in an envelope people. There is a cost to doing business. The envelope costs money, the postage costs money, the material costs money, the time for an employee to go get the parts and put them in the envelope, log them out of enventory so the business' tax statements are correct at the end of the year. Now there's the cost of the building, the bin the material sits in.

I work in sales and I try to take care of my customers as good as I can but sometimes you just can't be everywhere bending over backwards for everyone. I've been known to tell my customers, "sure, I'd be happy to find that part for you but you can call this person and they'll sell it to you direct for about 30% less than having me be your middle man."
    I still find it hard to believe that a gromet or whatever and the costs to send one to someone is $6.50. Now, I'm all for businesses making money, I hope the business I work for gets filthy rich. But coming from a customer service standpoint, it seems slightly off.

A .005 piece of material, .43 stamp, .02 envelope, and "maybe" 5 minutes of labor don't come close to $6.50. You can't lump other costs in, only incremental costs because they would have incurred building and bin costs either way. And I doubt they have an inventory log of gromets, probably just lumped in misc. Perhaps they could have asked for maybe $2 via paypal.

I'm assuming that comp-tac is a smaller company though. Like I said, if they get a bunch of requests like this then I completely understand. Of course if they are getting a bunch of requests like this, it questions their product. Is this not under their warranty if they have one?
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

jim
    I ordered extra hardware from them a little while ago and if it's the rubber, barrel shaped bushing you need, I've got an extra one. PM me with your name and address and I'll mail it to you.

Jim

The cost of an employee probably averages about $35/hr by the time you pay their hourly wage, benifits, taxes, insurance etc... If it takes that employee 5 minutes to grab your envelope, address it, grab the grommett and screw, seal it up and drop it in the outgoing mail then you are at $7.00 Don't forget the person who took the call and has to call out to shipping and relay the request.

A simple request, while the materials may be inexpensive, still costs a business the same from a processing standpoint as an expensive request. Frequently I could sell a six figure machine for less incurred costs and time than I can a $100 tool. I'm just saying there's a lot more to it than a lot of people realize and you should cut them some slack. Life and business is a lot more complicated than it used to be.

Who is John Galt?

I don't have a comp-tac but would one of the little rubber washers from a faucet repair kit work? These are cheap and can be found at Home Depot for only a few bucks a set.

Whisky19

The cost of an employee probably averages about $35/hr by the time you pay their hourly wage, benifits, taxes, insurance etc... If it takes that employee 5 minutes to grab your envelope, address it, grab the grommett and screw, seal it up and drop it in the outgoing mail then you are at $7.00 Don't forget the person who took the call and has to call out to shipping and relay the request.

A simple request, while the materials may be inexpensive, still costs a business the same from a processing standpoint as an expensive request. Frequently I could sell a six figure machine for less incurred costs and time than I can a $100 tool. I'm just saying there's a lot more to it than a lot of people realize and you should cut them some slack. Life and business is a lot more complicated than it used to be.
    well, I'll concede to you on this one. I'll admit I hadn't thought it through thoroughly. I suppose coming from business myself I should have known better, but...oops. They feel as though it takes more costs and they obviously do it in their own best interest. Anywho, I do agree with others, check out a hardware store, I'm sure they can hook you up.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Get some window washer tubing to replace the lost piece. Then tighten the little bolts up until the tubing is compressed to about 1/4 inch high give or take. That is what the tubing is for, to be compressed so nothing works loose. I have carried my MTAC for a month and have never needed to re tighten anything. I use this same idea on stuff I make and never have anything work loose.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links