Inside Waistband Question, M&P Too Thick?

This is a discussion on Inside Waistband Question, M&P Too Thick? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Depends on your body shape, your clothing's thickness, your belt's quality and thickness, and your gun's shape and size. I'm not exactly of the tubeless ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inside Waistband Question, M&P Too Thick?

Depends on your body shape, your clothing's thickness, your belt's quality and thickness, and your gun's shape and size.

I'm not exactly of the tubeless design, myself, so I've got some curves for a holstered gun to contend with. I've adjusted by having pants a bit larger than I require, having an exceptional (and wide) belt meant for carrying firearms, and an excellent holster. At 1.28" wide, the CZ P-01 isn't exactly svelte like the Kahr line. But with the right combination of gear, it's easily concealed even with the challenges of size/curves.

You might find a buddy with a Kahr K9/P9/CW9 and evaluate the difference as compared to yours. The Kahr setup will be about as thin as you can get. If even that doesn't seem perfect, then really focus in on your belt and clothing, since it might well not be designed to handle it. Pants of strong, but thinner, material works well, oversized a bit to accommodate the size of the holstered gun. Belts of the double-thickness variety that are at least 1.5" wide seem to work best for me.

YMMV. Everyone's situation is very different. Won't know until you play around with combinations. In short, this is why long-time carriers often have drawers full of old holsters. (If you need a spare, let me know.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a Kimber pro elite in a Comptac minotaur day in and day out. Often times I like to change carry gun mostly my favorite substitute is my Glock 21 carried in a Comptac minotuar. The best advice I can give you is to buy a real carry belt to go with whatever you decide to holster your carry gun in.

I hope it's not too thick, I just ordered my M&P 9c last week and will be using a CB SuperTuck when my permit arrives. If it is too thick for a t-shirt, then my LCP will have to do in warmer weather...
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

I actually at times carry my full sized M&P9. I prefer either the MTAC or the Raven Concealment. Both are comfortable...probably lean towards the Raven personally. It's bigger in design, but made that way for comfort and overall concealability.

They are only too thick if your pants are too tight. ;)

I carry my Glock 19 IWB with no trouble.

I have a XD 4" I have been carrying it for about 3 years. I am going to trade it in on a PPS I think. The XD just seems to be to chubby for me to carry IWB. By the time I put it in a holster seems like it is 2" thick. The leingth I dont have a problem with but the handle is a little harder to conceal sometimes. I may consider a M&P if ya'll say its not as chunky as the XD.

probably not to thick, I carry an XD .40. I think it is about as thick as the M&P at 1.5" or so. I think it is a little wide for me personally because I wear tucked in polos a lot and kinda want something not so...blocky. But I think the M&P is a little less chunky in some areas. Would probably be ok in the right holster and belt set up.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies guys. I carry it in a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB holster for now and find it carries very well. I am going to get a OWB holster I think for summer time since I dont normally wear undershirts (I started for winter carry, but it will be to hot in the summer) and find it uncomfortable to wear w/o one.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

The thicker the gun, the bigger the tumor will look. Yes it does matter on the gun thickness and size. Most holsters fit snuggly around the gun. So it is not usually a holster's fault when you have a huge bulging tumor. If you are going to use a bigger shirt to conceal it - why not just go OWB? Sure people conceal with bigger guns - but they are usually covering it up with a over sized shirt that screams gun. If you are desiring to go tucked - then the smaller the gun, the better.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    But do your research before you buy. After I bought the Kahr I read all the bad boogy stories about them. Self fulfiling prophesy, my P40 went back to the factory yesterday after 3 weeks and 200 rounds. Slim ain't sexy if it doesn't function properly every time. All will agree, CC has many trade offs but don't make concessions on the #1 just for comfort.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Carry my full size m&p all day in an M-TAC, no problems.
    "We make a living by what we get,
    we make a life by what we give."
    Winston Churchill

I carry a Glock 21 IWB, so no, a M&P would not be too thick.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Glock & M&P are both too thick. Especially IWB. Get a Walther PPS for all day carry comfort. Kahrs are pretty thin too.

I'm carrying a m&p9c in a supertuck, no issues. But I buy all my pants big anyway so plenty of room and the supertuck is comfy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links