Defensive Carry banner

Inside Waistband Question, M&P Too Thick?

4K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  TexasDuck 
#1 ·
Getting a M&P9c and was wondering if it is too thick for in wasteband carry. Iv never carried iwb but this seems to be the best method for me and was wondering if the gun is too thick

Any tips for a first time carrier, especially iwb.

#2 ·
No, with a good holster you will be fine. A good holster is the key!!
I carry a USPc in a VM II without a problem.

No go find your M&P a home:smile:

#4 ·
I just held (more like fondled amd drooled over) an M&P 9mm today for the first time... very very nice.....

...One of my carry guns is a Glock 30 (double stack 45), I only carry IWB, no real issues at all... the only slight issue is weight of the pistol (what I seem to notice the most when carrying the glock)

ReaperVelle

#5 ·
That is exactly what I have on my hip right now in a crossbreed supertuck:banana: And this is my first gun, and obviously first gun to carry. It shoots good, has a good reputation so far and is extremely comfortable. Let me know about any other questions you have about it or holsters for it.:urla9ub:

#6 ·
Not a problem. In a K&D Dakota Defender, and good to go.

#8 ·
It's kind of a personal choice... I had a Glock 23 and carried it in a VM-II and didn't find it too thick but I know folks that think a 1911 is too thick! :blink:

#9 ·
agreed, the holster makes all the difference.
I too have ogled/fondled/dreamed about the M&Pc. After holding my XDm and the M&P, there isn't too much difference in width (slide or grip). Put it in a good holster that will distribute the weight. Something that has a large leather backing. Doesn't have to look great, just feel great......................Oh wait, did i just describe a CB Supertuck? Why yes, yes i did.
(btw, i just started carrying IWB Dec '08. Love it! pants were an issue for a while, but i just went 1 size larger.)
pierce

#11 ·
I carry an xdm IWB in a comp-tac minatour. The xdm is certainly no small gun in any dimension and with a t-shirt tucked in over it, it disappears to the point that when I went to try on another holster at a gun show and pulled my rig off first the guy said he had no idea I had that on me. (yes it was unloaded and zip tied, per show rules.) If an xdm can disappear, the M&P should do jsut fine.

#14 ·
Thanks for the feedback all. I am picking my MP up tonight after work and will look at the holster selection there. I am planning a high noon or a K and D, but do not want to wait to start carrying, and surely do not want to carry Mexican style, LOL. This has been a very long day coming.

#15 ·
I carry a 5" XD .45 in a CompTac minataur. Great holster, no problem conceling.

#16 ·
Depends on your body shape, your clothing's thickness, your belt's quality and thickness, and your gun's shape and size.

I'm not exactly of the tubeless design, myself, so I've got some curves for a holstered gun to contend with. I've adjusted by having pants a bit larger than I require, having an exceptional (and wide) belt meant for carrying firearms, and an excellent holster. At 1.28" wide, the CZ P-01 isn't exactly svelte like the Kahr line. But with the right combination of gear, it's easily concealed even with the challenges of size/curves.

You might find a buddy with a Kahr K9/P9/CW9 and evaluate the difference as compared to yours. The Kahr setup will be about as thin as you can get. If even that doesn't seem perfect, then really focus in on your belt and clothing, since it might well not be designed to handle it. Pants of strong, but thinner, material works well, oversized a bit to accommodate the size of the holstered gun. Belts of the double-thickness variety that are at least 1.5" wide seem to work best for me.

YMMV. Everyone's situation is very different. Won't know until you play around with combinations. In short, this is why long-time carriers often have drawers full of old holsters. (If you need a spare, let me know.) :biggrin2:

#17 ·
I carry a Kimber pro elite in a Comptac minotaur day in and day out. Often times I like to change carry gun mostly my favorite substitute is my Glock 21 carried in a Comptac minotuar. The best advice I can give you is to buy a real carry belt to go with whatever you decide to holster your carry gun in.

#18 ·
I hope it's not too thick, I just ordered my M&P 9c last week and will be using a CB SuperTuck when my permit arrives. If it is too thick for a t-shirt, then my LCP will have to do in warmer weather...

#22 ·
I have a XD 4" I have been carrying it for about 3 years. I am going to trade it in on a PPS I think. The XD just seems to be to chubby for me to carry IWB. By the time I put it in a holster seems like it is 2" thick. The leingth I dont have a problem with but the handle is a little harder to conceal sometimes. I may consider a M&P if ya'll say its not as chunky as the XD.

#23 ·
probably not to thick, I carry an XD .40. I think it is about as thick as the M&P at 1.5" or so. I think it is a little wide for me personally because I wear tucked in polos a lot and kinda want something not so...blocky. But I think the M&P is a little less chunky in some areas. Would probably be ok in the right holster and belt set up.

#24 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I carry it in a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB holster for now and find it carries very well. I am going to get a OWB holster I think for summer time since I dont normally wear undershirts (I started for winter carry, but it will be to hot in the summer) and find it uncomfortable to wear w/o one.

#25 ·
The thicker the gun, the bigger the tumor will look. Yes it does matter on the gun thickness and size. Most holsters fit snuggly around the gun. So it is not usually a holster's fault when you have a huge bulging tumor. If you are going to use a bigger shirt to conceal it - why not just go OWB? Sure people conceal with bigger guns - but they are usually covering it up with a over sized shirt that screams gun. If you are desiring to go tucked - then the smaller the gun, the better.

#26 ·
But do your research before you buy. After I bought the Kahr I read all the bad boogy stories about them. Self fulfiling prophesy, my P40 went back to the factory yesterday after 3 weeks and 200 rounds. Slim ain't sexy if it doesn't function properly every time. All will agree, CC has many trade offs but don't make concessions on the #1 just for comfort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.