IWB dilemma for G26

IWB dilemma for G26

This is a discussion on IWB dilemma for G26 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having just completed Massad Ayoob's book on Concealed Carry (by Gun Digest), I've come to the conclusion that I need to bite the bullet - ...

IWB dilemma for G26

Having just completed Massad Ayoob's book on Concealed Carry (by Gun Digest), I've come to the conclusion that I need to bite the bullet - figuratively speaking - and purchase an IWB holster for my G26.

However, I just swapped out the sights and put a Heinie Slant Pro on the rear and a Dawson fiber optic on the front, which hangs up on my cheapo pocket holster and IWB nylon rig during the draw. I've got a Galco tuckable, which has a sight channel so it's not an issue on that front, but Ayoob made a strong case for NOT going with abdomen carry due to where the muzzle points worn at 12:30 (groin and femoral artery).

So, as I search all the websites for advice and also look at the manufacturer's sites, I'm considering High Noon's Bare Asset, Blade Tech's Ultimate Concealment, the Raven system and SideArmor's Glock IWB rig. I find myself leaning towards Kydex because I use a Blade Tech for IDPA shoots and I can't imagine the front sight ever hanging up on that material (compared to leather, where I think it might).

I don't care for the double clamps or loops where you have to thread your belt through them. I'd prefer to get dressed first, then push the gun and holster down behind the belt and into my pants at about the 3:30 position with a cant of some kind so it will be comfortable while working at a computer all day or long drives. A Single 'c' clamp or hook is preferred to a double.

Suggestions and experience would be greatly appreciated.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm10mmamen View Post
    Having just completed Massad Ayoob's book on Concealed Carry (by Gun Digest), I've come to the conclusion that I need to bite the bullet - figuratively speaking - and purchase an IWB holster for my G26.

However, I just swapped out the sights and put a Heinie Slant Pro on the rear and a Dawson fiber optic on the front, which hangs up on my cheapo pocket holster and IWB nylon rig during the draw. I've got a Galco tuckable, which has a sight channel so it's not an issue on that front, but Ayoob made a strong case for NOT going with abdomen carry due to where the muzzle points worn at 12:30 (groin and femoral artery).

So, as I search all the websites for advice and also look at the manufacturer's sites, I'm considering High Noon's Bare Asset, Blade Tech's Ultimate Concealment, the Raven system and SideArmor's Glock IWB rig. I find myself leaning towards Kydex because I use a Blade Tech for IDPA shoots and I can't imagine the front sight ever hanging up on that material (compared to leather, where I think it might).

I don't care for the double clamps or loops where you have to thread your belt through them. I'd prefer to get dressed first, then push the gun and holster down behind the belt and into my pants at about the 3:30 position with a cant of some kind so it will be comfortable while working at a computer all day or long drives. A Single 'c' clamp or hook is preferred to a double.

Suggestions and experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Raven Concealment. I have one for my G19 and love it a whole lot. Double loops help keep the gun from flopping around and shifting. A single point attachment is less durable and doesn't hold the weight as well. A dual loop system distributes the weight across a larger area.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Since you seem to find yourself leading toward kydex for an IWB holster for your Glock, I'll tell you two things.....#1 they will not loose their shape or collapse....#2 retention will always remain the same, and sweat isn't a problem and for the most part, the kydex are lower profile than leather. Your draw should always be the same with the kydex holster once you learn the snatch and grab from positive open-top retention. Best holster I've ever found for carrying my Glocks IWB is the Scorpion by DeSantis.
    Commerce Storefront B2C
    Here's my DeSantis Scorpion with G19. I originally bought it for my G27, but both work well in it. I could even carry my G17 or G22 in it if I wanted to. I'm talking summer time, under t-shirt concealable with this holster with my body type (6'1"@200lbs)

Wink

I suggest you look at FIST #1 kydex ultra thin holster.
    If you go to the fist website, go down to holsters, then to kydex you will find the use the G26 as their model gun.

I use this holster for a Walther P99 compact which is about the same size as the G26. Wearing this holster is akin to mexican carry, but with the safety of a covered trigger. The cost is appx $35 and you can pick your cant. Add a body shield for only $5 more. Waiting time is fairly short. I appenix carry, but I can move it to 3 O'clock and it works fine. Hope this helps.

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Some good suggestions here. I'll add a few more .

Have a look at the Tucker Silent Thunder. It is leather lined Kydex. Still very thin, and only one clip attachment. I have one for a 1911, like it a lot. They've recently come up with a new mounting for the clip that allows adjustable height of ride and adjustable cant, while being able to securely lock the clip (last system allowed a little rotation of the clip, which many actually like).

I've heard great things about the Raven Concealment Phantom, and want one for my G19. But it does have double clips, so might not be for you (though you should still be able to don it without threading the belt through it, depending on which mount you choose).

Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, what can I say? One of the most popular holsters in the world. Yes it has two snap loops. But you can slide them under your belt, and snap them in place, no problem. Optional Kydex Clips go behind the belt for better concealment, and allow tucking. Long wait, but you know what they say about all good things...

Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. Snap loops again, two and close together. Available in stock, no waiting, for your gun from Brownells, at the same price as from Milt Sparks. No waiting and Milt Sparks quality and price? Hard to beat THAT combination!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Highnoon Holsters Split Decision

I carry a CZ2075 in a Highnoon Split Decision. It's about the same size as the G26. It's a tuckable but I haven't tried that yet. I just wanted to have the option if needed. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics!

Much appreciated advice everyone. Thanks. I'll watch for more input over the weekend and then make a choice.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm10mmamen View Post
    Much appreciated advice everyone. Thanks. I'll watch for more input over the weekend and then make a choice.
    Try it you will like it.

Links
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I just had a DC Special made by Eric at HBE for my G26. If you want a fine custom piece of leather, I would contact him. He would be more then willing to work with you on the sight channel.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I use a Comp-tac CTAC for my glock 26 & 19.

I have also used a sidearmor IWB and a Milt Sparks Watch Six.

I personally prefer IWB holsters that are kydex and are designed with two attachment points/clips on the ends of the holster. The holster is much more stable and streamlined.

I am going to order a Comp-Tac MTAC, hopefully I will get the best of both worlds of the CTAC and the Milt Sparks Watch Six.

If you want a quality low-riding iwb holster that won't break the bank available for immediate shipment , I would hop on this...
    Southern Holsters, LLC
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

I know you talked about a single clamp but I feel that a double loop system results in less bulge on your side. Here's what I ordered for my Kahr PM9. The loops are snaps and you can slip it on after your pants are on and just snap the loops shut.

slimP7.jpg

You can find it HERE.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Don't turn your back on a quality leather holster. It feels so much nicer against your skin than kydex. I use a Dakota Defender from K&D K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories
    Talk with Kevin about your concerns with the sights, I bet he can take of your needs.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Since you seem to find yourself leading toward kydex for an IWB holster for your Glock, I'll tell you two things.....#1 they will not loose their shape or collapse....#2 retention will always remain the same, and sweat isn't a problem and for the most part, the kydex are lower profile than leather. Your draw should always be the same with the kydex holster once you learn the snatch and grab from positive open-top retention. Best holster I've ever found for carrying my Glocks IWB is the Scorpion by DeSantis.
    Commerce Storefront B2C
    Here's my DeSantis Scorpion with G19. I originally bought it for my G27, but both work well in it. I could even carry my G17 or G22 in it if I wanted to. I'm talking summer time, under t-shirt concealable with this holster with my body type (6'1"@200lbs)
    Hi Ram Rod,

Doesn't the gun dig in so far that it hurts? Boy! You are a lot tougher than me if you can wear the gun digging in so far.

Regards,
    Jerry

Links