A holster thought for you

This is a discussion on A holster thought for you within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've pretty much settled on OWB as well. I also adjusted the cant on my holsters from the "FBI" cant (15°) to 10° - that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A holster thought for you

Senior Moderator
    I've pretty much settled on OWB as well. I also adjusted the cant on my holsters from the "FBI" cant (15°) to 10° - that just seems to be a better compromise between concealment and less "wrist bending" to grip the gun.

I can wear IWBs reasonably successful, but they always seem slower to draw from. Seated in a vehicle, the IWBs seem to be kinda awkward to draw from; strong side OWBs aren't great when seated, especially with straight drops, but they seem better for me than IWBs.

2. Remove Ads

For my OWB, I have a Blackhawk Serpa and for IWB I have the Comp-Tac for my XD40. Even though NV is an Open Carry State, I feel uncomfortable about carrying, so normally carry IWB.

John

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I almost never carry IWB. With a shirt tail out, and a well fitted pancake type holster my wife can't see it and I cannot either even knowing that it is there. I do wear loose fitting shirts, and it would not work with a tee shirt. I assist in a CHL training class sometimes, and we always ask the class if they can see a gun on me. The answer is always no unless they mistake my cell phone for a gun. Sometimes I do wear IWB, and have seen orders for the Sparks ExC as they want one that will conceal a 1911 compact so well. I have concealed as many as four on my person without being noticed. That is around the chest, ankle, pocket and either IWB or OWB.

When I do IWB I use mostly a Sparks ExC, and it is comfortable. The biggest problem for me is when I gain a few pounds my pants are too tight to be comfortable IWB. However, I just feel more comfortable with OWB. I am 5-10 and 173, and do not ever carry a full size 1911. I carry 1911 SA LW compact, a G 26, a Kahr P 9, or a Smith J-frame. NO not all at once. :) I won't mention a Kel Tech P32.

The secret for me is a pancake holster. Other OWB models do not hold as tight against the body. I consider holsters such as Kevin's Laredo Defender essentially a pancake and it stays as tight.

I continue to think that if one will carry a midsize or small gun, use a good pancake holster, wear a good double gun belt, and wear loose fitting shirts with reasonably long tails he will find that OWB works well.

Jerry

XD40 Holster

Nev John, I too carry an XD mine is the XD40 with the 3'' barrel and am trying to find a good leather hoslter. I have never carried IWB as it seems to be a comfort problem. I've looked at a Haugen Defender pancake which can be used strongside OR cross- draw. Also the Speed Scabbard III which is a high rider also by Haugen. I'm trying to decide on one or the other. Any experience with these? Thanks

Joromu---- no, never have had any opportunity to use any other holster except for the 2 mentioned, the Serpa and the Comp-Tac. Just looking at all the holsters available for the XD's, there is alot. Have you checked into the XDTalk forum?? If you havent, they have alot of info there. Companies like Andrews, AKJ, Del Fatti, Don Hume, Galco, Garrity, High Noon, KD Holsters, etc are numerous ones available.

John

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    jor,
    Be very choosey when looking for an IWB for your little SC XD. The short muzzle and thick cross section will make it feel like a brick if you get the wrong holster.........keep the loops seperate and some length below the muzzle....it will benefit you greatly.
    It will keep the pressure of the muzzle from putting your butt to sleep every 20 minutes.........
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links