concealed carry holsters for GLOCK 26,27

This is a discussion on concealed carry holsters for GLOCK 26,27 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi has anyone used thunder wear or smart carry ? Was wondering what your thoughts were. thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concealed carry holsters for GLOCK 26,27

Hi has anyone used thunder wear or smart carry ? Was wondering what your thoughts were. thanks

I use a SmartCarry daily in warm weather to carry either my G27 or my J frame. I think it is an excellent product. Check out the videos on youtube and search older forum threads to help you figure out if it is for you. It does take a little practice to get proficient at drawing your gun.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Smart Carry works great for shorts. I carry even when in gym shorts and nothing else. Neighbors do not even notice....

Crossbreed Supertuck when dressed up. Was a little stiff at first, but one the leather softened, and I fine tuned the positioning on myself, it has been fantastic. Can be quickly converted to OC, leaving grip very visible, which is helpful in the state of VA when going into restaurants serving alcohol.....

i use the galco inside the pants holster for my g27. also got the glock tuckable holster for the g27. both work well.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Smart Carry seems preferred about 5 to 1. If you do a search on Smart Carry here you'll find lots of threads. I'll end up with one eventually I'm sure...
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I bought a Thunder Wear (At a gun show in Tampa) in size Med. for my Glock 27. I use it all the time, and take trips where I drive for hours on end.. It's very comfortable. It's the same as a Smart Carry, and some say that one took the idea from the other.. It serves the function/purpose for me.. The sizing is the same for both companies also. Hope this helps ya' out.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

VIP Member
    When I had a G-27 I used a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Your choice of holster is a complex series of compromises driven by the those parameters that are most important to you. By example, I sacrificed time-to-draw for the deepest (most undetectable) conceal. My family and social circles are mostly liberal and either not supportive or vocally against owning let alone carrying guns. My wife barely tolerates what she know with denial.

How effective is the SmartCarry? I've used it as EDC for nearly 10 months now. I roughhouse with the grandkids without detection. As a deep carry method I know of no equal. Is the draw slower? You bet. As an amelioration to the draw issue I also EDC an LCP as a BUG. In some situations the BUG may be my first goto.

How hard is it to use the SmartCarry? It took me nearly 3 weeks to work out solutions to comfortably carry in all modes and in transitions between them. Now I can sit, stand, stoop, drive, be a couch potato and use the convenience facilities without a second thought and without discomfort. There are many whose body types may not be conducive to this carry method and I've noticed remarks of many that were unwilling to dedicate the time necessary to work out comfort solutions.

Can the SmartCarry accommodate a large frame pistol? I carry an M&P 45fs with a Crimson Trace LaserGrips and an Insight XTI Procyon light. Next to it is a 14-round extended magazine. (pictures at end of post) My answer is yes. I carry with jeans, slacks, dockers and suit pants. I don't know about shorts or cargo pants because I don't wear them.

Is the SmartCarry identical to Thunderwear? Here is a quote from a user who contacted both companies. You be the judge. BTW, Charlie at SmartCarry gives you 60 days to decide to keep it if you bought it from him and not a distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaetos from TheHighRoad.org
    I sent off an email to Smartcarry asking them what the difference was between them and Thunderwear .. this is what I got back.

I suggest you read through some of the 522 customer comments we have on our website to see what our customers have to say about our holster, and below is the basic differences between SC & TW. SmartCarry® is the first and only under garment concealed carry holster that is snag free and has a 100% waterproof (sweat proof) rear panel.

The basic differences are that Thunderwear has a downward facing seam at the inside top front of the firearm pocket which can (and does) snag on any forward facing projection, such as the rear of cylinders of revolvers, the top front corner of the ejection port on any Glock for right handed people, etc. You can go to their website and see the seam in the photos of the Thunderwear holsters. SmartCarry® has a patented construction method (U.S. Utility Patent 9,505,834) which eliminates all downward facing seams in the firearm and tactical reload pockets. You can see a photo of our snag free construction @ Concealed carry holsters by SmartCarry with snag free construction.

TW also uses diaper cloth as a moisture barrier, which absorbs perspiration and passes it right on to your gun, and nothing rusts metal faster than salty, acidic perspiration. The rear of all SmartCarry® holsters includes a piece of Cushmax®, a material which allows air to pass through, but not water, so they're 100% "sweat proof" with a completely waterproof rear panel. And we use a heavier duty denim which not only means longer holster life, but the heavier denim is much less likely to form to the contours of the gun, making drawing faster and smoother. And when you add in TW's S&H charges, you get a much better holster with SmartCarry® , and at a lower price, than with TW. If you dig through the customer comments on our website ( SmartCarry concealed carry gun holster customer comments page 1), you'll find some from former TW owners and their comments on the differences in the holsters. Thank you for your interest in SmartCarry®!

Regards,

Charlie

This is what I got from Thunderwear after I asked them the same thing.

We have many competitors. They all are excellent holsters.

Thunderwear is the only holster that's custom made for your handgun. For a more perfect fit. Thunderwear was first, all the others are copies of our product.

Thunderwear Holsters were developed in the late 80's with over 600,000 sold. If you want to buy the original than you'll not be disappointed with thunderwear.

Thunderwear Customer Service

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Hi all thanks for the info and pics I just ordered my smartcarry holster yesterday.

I wanted a way to carry around the house in shorts/sweats but never thought of this. Thanks to this post my wallet is lighter and my holster collection is +1.

It has a good following, but I cannot imagine how uncomfortable such a "holster" as Thunderwear would be, and it appears that it would be worn where I would not want to wear a gun.

I guess if I were determined to wear shorts and muscle shirts I would have to consider such a holster, but I don't.

To each his own.

Regards,
    Jerry

not uncomfortable at all

takes a bit of adjusting to find the most comfortable place/fit for your body type. My Smart Carry has the optional pocket behind the holster that enables me to discretely and securely carry folding money, credit cards and maybe a passport if necessary. No pickpocket worry. Granted, presentation will be a bit slow, but compared to not carrying, it's a no brainer. With a 60 day return policy, how can you go wrong? And no, I do not have any ties/affiliations with the company.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    It has a good following, but I cannot imagine how uncomfortable such a "holster" as Thunderwear would be, and it appears that it would be worn where I would not want to wear a gun.

I guess if I were determined to wear shorts and muscle shirts I would have to consider such a holster, but I don't.

To each his own.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Don't let your lack of imagination inhibit you from giving it a try. If you have the interest and the dedication to work out wearability solutions, the 60 return policy SmartCarry offers sufficient time to evaluate it in real life. To save repeating myself, you might want to read an earlier post in this thread. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...104-post8.html
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Don't let your lack of imagination inhibit you from giving it a try. If you have the interest and the dedication to work out wearability solutions, the 60 return policy SmartCarry offers sufficient time to evaluate it in real life. To save repeating myself, you might want to read an earlier post in this thread. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...104-post8.html
    Thanks, Howard. Obviously there is a following who like it. As for me, I am very pleased with carrying OWB almost 100% of the time. I do sometime carry IWB in a Sparks ExC.

I appreciate the comment, however.

Regards,
    Jerry

I'm another believer in the SmartCarry system. I have even worn mine with my PT-111 in the gym and no one knew. It really does work, but it is NOT a fast draw rig. But better to have it and have a slower draw than to not have it at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links