Disappointed...no Sparks holster for this gun

This is a discussion on Disappointed...no Sparks holster for this gun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to purchase a SIG RCS (alloy Officer's frame / Commander top end / totally dehorned) to become my primary carry gun. I ...

I am going to purchase a SIG RCS (alloy Officer's frame / Commander top end / totally dehorned) to become my primary carry gun. I just got off the phone with Graham at Milt Sparks and was disappointed to learn they do not have the form for the RCS, thus do not make a holster that fits. SIG has to make their 1911's resemble a SIG and to that end the lower part of the slide is "stepped", which precludes a normal Commander holster from fitting. I know that SIG 1911's aren't the most popular ones out there, but there is nothing else that fills the bill. Any 4.25" 1911 out there is either built on a full size frame or a steel one. Any Officer's size frame comes only as a 3" (which I definitely DO NOT want), plus the SIG takes down like a normal 1911 - none of that unecessary full-length guide rod crap, or bull barrel - a 1911 the way John Browning designed it (with the exception of the external extractor and firing pin safety). One mold/form would accommodate three different SIG models - The Compact 1911 - which is as described but with a steel frame and no dehorning; The C3, which is the RCS without the dehorning and the, desired, RCS. Don't know what I expect of this post - just venting I guess. To me there are NO substitutes for a Spark's VMII (I have three now), but I really don't want to entrust a new gun to the vagaries of UPS or FedEx, plus pay the exorbitant freight and insurance to send Sparks the actual gun. Quandry - thanks for listening.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I understand your frustration, and would not send the weapon either. Do you know if the mold gun even exists? Another possible option is to purchase the mold yourself and send that to Milt Sparks, Just a thought!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Bob,

I understand your loyalty to Milt Sparks & their high quality products but you might consider

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters .

I tried getting a MS for my P2000 and they [MS] didn't have a mold for it either. A guy on another forum clued me into TT Gunleather. I called Tim there and he got the mold and I had a real great IWB holster (it was a copy of the VMII) in about 8 weeks at 3/4th's of the price of the MS.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I've got zero experience to offer, but if he is willing to offer a discount on a holster purchase for offering up your gun to make the molds (and you can convince yourself to trust the delivery companies) the price to ship may end up a wash.

Or maybe you can work that out ahead of time anyway.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    I've got zero experience to offer, but if he is willing to offer a discount on a holster purchase for offering up your gun to make the molds (and you can convince yourself to trust the delivery companies) the price to ship may end up a wash.

Or maybe you can work that out ahead of time anyway.
    Welcome to the Forum!

Unfortunately, they don't work that way. The holster makers don't make a mold for the gun, they purchase a mold gun from a company that makes them. It was a great thought though!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Ken:
    Fired off an e-mail to Tim. Thanks for the heads-up. His product looks high-quality - but Sparks sets the bar pretty high.

Palmer:
    Nice thought, but the price of shipping and insurance with one of the reliable services (UPS or FedEx - which require overnight) would exceed the cost of the holster, and I doubt that they'll give their work away, but thanks for the suggestion.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Member Array Detachment_Charlie's Avatar

Thumbs up

+1 for TT
    I have VMIIs for my 1911s & Sig 220 & 226, but when I got my Sig P6, there was no Milt Sparks available. Looked at TT and talked with Tim. Now have a TT for my P6 and can compare to MS products. Even up for all intents. Have Tim stitch one up for you, I think you'll be happy (and not have a six month wait). YMMV
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    I am going to purchase a SIG RCS (alloy Officer's frame / Commander top end / totally dehorned) to become my primary carry gun. I just got off the phone with Graham at Milt Sparks and was disappointed to learn they do not have the form for the RCS, thus do not make a holster that fits. SIG has to make their 1911's resemble a SIG and to that end the lower part of the slide is "stepped", which precludes a normal Commander holster from fitting. I know that SIG 1911's aren't the most popular ones out there, but there is nothing else that fills the bill. Any 4.25" 1911 out there is either built on a full size frame or a steel one. Any Officer's size frame comes only as a 3" (which I definitely DO NOT want), plus the SIG takes down like a normal 1911 - none of that unecessary full-length guide rod crap, or bull barrel - a 1911 the way John Browning designed it (with the exception of the external extractor and firing pin safety). One mold/form would accommodate three different SIG models - The Compact 1911 - which is as described but with a steel frame and no dehorning; The C3, which is the RCS without the dehorning and the, desired, RCS. Don't know what I expect of this post - just venting I guess. To me there are NO substitutes for a Spark's VMII (I have three now), but I really don't want to entrust a new gun to the vagaries of UPS or FedEx, plus pay the exorbitant freight and insurance to send Sparks the actual gun. Quandry - thanks for listening.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sir, we have a lot in common as far as searching for the perfect 1911based on our requirements. Every single requirement you describe above was also my needs. And that's how I ended up with the Sig GSR C3. And after 300+ rounds from this fine pistol without 1 single issue, I knew I had found the perfect CCW (my opinion of course).

And now you're trying to find the perfect holster for your new baby. I will agree with you that VMII is one of the best. I have others to show you as well.

So the good news is - The Milt Sparks Versa Max II for commander size WILL FIT your Sig 1911. I promise you, and I have proof to show you.

First, here's one of my favorite CCW....My C3:

My Mitch Rosen ARG-DL was the only holster, were I had to loosen it up a little by wrapping 2 plastic grocery bags and leaving it in for about 5 hrs. After that, it fit like a glove.

As far as the VMII and Uncle Lou goes, they both fit WITHOUT FORCING them in. I'm hoping my pictures can justify my conclusion.

I gain nothing to try to convince you to go with the VMII. I just thought I could help out based on my experience. It's up to you - Good Luck! And CONGRATULATIONS on your new RCS!!!

Here's a couple one more:

/
    Last edited by TwinCarry; February 3rd, 2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: edit picture
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Go with TT Gunleather. You will NOT be disappointed!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I will add that the comment I have seen on a number of boards is that the SIG 1911s will generally fit in leather holsters designed for the same sized standard 1911 (with rails), but not in kydex. I think TwinCarry's pictures above (and they are gorgeus, TC! ) lend some credence to that line of reasoning.

Good luck. My g/f has a 5" stainless GSR and I think it is a fantastic shooting pistol.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Actually, Bob, Graham should have told you that at the very worst you would only have to send us your slide. We have actual working guns out in the shop that we use for molds, as well as probably 30 or more personal 1911's in various configurations owned between myself and the rest of the crew. I'm sure we could find a bottom end to attach it to. Sending a slide doesn't require next day air.

Anyway, since we don't have a C3 with the stepped slide, it would be conjecture on our part to assume that it would fit in a standard Commander length holster without actually being able to try it ourselves. Twin Carry says it fits and I'll trust his judgement, however because the slide millings are different, the fit will not be aesthetically perfect. (at least what we consider perfect), but that might not matter to most folks.

Sorry for the miscommunication. It was a very busy day on the phone yesterday. Practically non-stop.
    T
    Second Best is not an option

Quote Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
    Actually, Bob, Graham should have told you that at the very worst you would only have to send us your slide. We have actual working guns out in the shop that we use for molds, as well as probably 30 or more personal 1911's in various configurations owned between myself and the rest of the crew. I'm sure we could find a bottom end to attach it to. Sending a slide doesn't require next day air.

Anyway, since we don't have a C3 with the stepped slide, it would be conjecture on our part to assume that it would fit in a standard Commander length holster without actually being able to try it ourselves. Twin Carry says it fits and I'll trust his judgement, however because the slide millings are different, the fit will not be aesthetically perfect. (at least what we consider perfect), but that might not matter to most folks.

Sorry for the miscommunication. It was a very busy day on the phone yesterday. Practically non-stop.
    T

I like and agree with Tony's statement:
    "the fit will not be aesthetically perfect. (at least what we consider perfect), but that might not matter to most folks"

Never really thought about it that way until I read this. Makes sense. Yes, it may not matter to most folks - Like me. If it fits - I'm happy!

Not to say if Sparks had the actual C3 gun, would it turn out to be a better and perfect fit?. Probably so, but again to most folks it wouldn't matter.

One more thing I forgot to mention. The black VMII (picture above) is brand new and came straight out of it's package. Which in my opinion proves that it does fit. If I had bought the VMII used then thats a different story, since I wouldn't know the holster's history and the possibilty of someone strectching it.

/
    Last edited by TwinCarry; February 3rd, 2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Links