IWB Straps vs Clips? Leather vs Kydex?

This is a discussion on IWB Straps vs Clips? Leather vs Kydex? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking around and I think I'm going to grab the Comptac MTAC. My question is, some companies like Milt Sparks use straps instead of ...

Thread: IWB Straps vs Clips? Leather vs Kydex?

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania

IWB Straps vs Clips? Leather vs Kydex?

I'm looking around and I think I'm going to grab the Comptac MTAC.

My question is, some companies like Milt Sparks use straps instead of the plastic clips to attach the holster to the belt. Which one is more reliable? It would seem the straps would be but then you've got a somewhat obnoxious sight on the side of your belt. How sturdy are the plastic clips? I mean if I got in a physical fight with someone or was thrown down to the ground on my strong side, would they just snap letting my holster slide down into my pants leg?

Next question, is the kydex going to keep shape once I draw my weapon so I can easily holster it, or will it collapse and have me playing around? I imagine once again, that the leather might win in this scenario, keeping its shape due to its rigidity so holstering wont be an issue. As my new carry holster, I want to practice drawing and holstering.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    I'm looking around and I think I'm going to grab the Comptac MTAC.
    I cant comment on this as I dont have the Comp Tac.

My question is, some companies like Milt Sparks use straps instead of the plastic clips to attach the holster to the belt. Which one is more reliable?
    For IWB Im quite sure the leather straps are more durable. My IWB's have both plastic clips and metal J clips. Certainly the metal ones will be durable but I wear the holster with the plastic clips the most.
    It would seem the straps would be but then you've got a somewhat obnoxious sight on the side of your belt. How sturdy are the plastic clips?
    No they are not unsightly. In fact, sheep will more than likely not notice them.

I mean if I got in a physical fight with someone or was thrown down to the ground on my strong side, would they just snap letting my holster slide down into my pants leg?
    I doubt if you get thrown down the gun will slide down your pants. The plastic clips are sturdy and work just fine for me. I prefer them actually.

Next question, is the kydex going to keep shape once I draw my weapon so I can easily holster it, or will it collapse and have me playing around?
    The kydex is pretty ridgid. Probably moreso than the leather. It holds it sahpe just fine for reholstering.

I imagine once again, that the leather might win in this scenario, keeping its shape due to its rigidity so holstering wont be an issue. As my new carry holster, I want to practice drawing and holstering.
    I dont think you'll have a problem either way. You might have an issue if your pants are super dee duper tight and your belt is as well if you use leather with no reinforcement. The kydex wont budge.

FWIW, I dont tuck as a normal rule but if I had to tuck I can do that with the kydex/leather holster I have. Crossbreed Super Tuck is your answer there I guess. I have the Kholster which works good.

Since I dont usually tuck, Im finding that OWB works just fine and conceals just as well.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Sponsor
    I Have both the crossbreed suppertuck and the Comptac MTAC,they are both great holsters and very comfortable after you wear either one for a couple weeks you don't even notice them

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    I'm looking around and I think I'm going to

Next question, is the kydex going to keep shape once I draw my weapon so I can easily holster it, or will it collapse and have me playing around? I imagine once again, that the leather might win in this scenario, keeping its shape due to its rigidity so holstering wont be an issue. As my new carry holster, I want to practice drawing and holstering.
    I don't understand your thinking here. My kydex holsters are far more rigid than my leather ones and that's why I like them for IWB carry.

Links