Defensive Carry banner

Opinions: Kahr PM9 IWB and pocket holsters

17K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Banzai Jimmy 
#1 ·
I still have not carried my new PM9 becuase I have nothing to carry it in. I could use some opinions because all of my carry experience is with OWB.

After reading reviews, I was thinking of a Sideguard IWB (I've PM'ed and emailed Eric and am waiting to hear back - I guess the holster makers are busy with all of the recent gun purchases :) I like the single clip offset designs with the clip on the tail since it seems that it would provide the slimest package with easy on/off. Any thoughts on whether or not this will be sufficiently stable or whether I should go for a two clip design?

For pocket carry I was thinking of a FIST pocket holster (I like the idea of the thumb push off). Any thought on Kydex over leather? It seems that leather would be most comfortable for a pocket holster but that the trade off is that it would be thicker than kydex

#4 ·
I've got a pretty good horsehide pocket holster from Galco, but there's one jacket that has pockets I can carry it in and pull the PM9 out of easily. And light as it is, and with extra magazines on the other side, it's still weighted down too much on one side. I've decided I don't like pocket holsters.

My favorites are the Galco UDC or USA IWB holsters. They're about the same, but one of them has a steel band in the top to keep it open for reholstering. I also like the "stinger" model belt holster. Pretty inconspicuous.

I also got an IWB "ambicover" from Shado.com, but it's too bulky and I seldom use it. Also, because it's usable on either side, both sides of the holster have screw holes in the top that dig into my skin.

#6 ·
I carried my PM9 in a Wild Bill's pocket holster when I first got it and then went back to carrying my Taurus M85 Ti. I found that the Taurus was quicker out of the pocket than was the PM9 and seem to me to print less. Also it is amazing the difference that 4 ozs make. I currently carry the PM9 in a IWB that Jim Speidal (The Beltman) made for me.

#8 ·
You might want to check out this related thread as well.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988581

I also recommend Little Bear Holsters. Dave created a custom IWB and mag holder for me in elephant skin. Turned out really nice! He also spent time with me going over designs, materials, etc. Very positive experience, and I got a custom holster in two weeks. Give Dave a call.

Here's a picture of my Little Bear Holster:

Part of the design requirements were an offset clip to minimize thickness, tuckable, room to grab the grip completely and the ability to adjust the cant. The clip is replacable, if you prefer the standard clip (as shown on the mag holder) or a velcro clip (my intent as soon as I get an appropriate belt).

I rotated the clip on the mag holder so you can see that Dave even put the elephant on that! Very nice work.

#11 ·
I just bought a Nemises on ebay so I have something to use for the time being and will talk to the folks at Little Bear later today based on the fact that a number of you like their work and alnitak's holster design is exactly what I was looking for

#12 ·
Was just writing how a Nemesis is a must (lost post/browser restart) and saw your last post. Good call, bought mine on eBay too. I use it a lot (goes well with the bathrobe and in jacket pockets). I also have a Milt Sparks PCH I use a lot (jeans, slacks etc). Works great now that I've blocked it out to loosen it a bit.

Also planning to get a Fist pocket holster, and am thinking Kydex for thinness.

Still shopping for IWB myself, and speaking of thin, I'm considering a Milt Sparks Watch Six for IWB (their thinnest IWB holster). After talking to them last week, they suggested a Summer Special 2. And seeing Twin Carry's nice example with a Walther (?) or some other small gun, where he says it's one of his favorites (in his 250 holster thread), I am considering that too. I may get both. :yup:

#13 ·
Yesterday I ordered an IWB from Dave at Little Bear. After reading the thread in Glocktalk that Alnitak pointed me to, I decided to get a two clip version just to be sure it was stable enough (especially since I plan to try it with jeans or sweats without a belt).

Dave was great to work with. The rig he is making will have a set of both clips and straps as well as adjustable ride and will be made 'extra' thin with a reinforced opening. Price is $89 shipped and he told me I should have it in three weeks. I'll post pictures when I get it

Thanks for the advice guys

#14 ·
I just got a used Mika pocket holster from a member and wore it all day today in well fitting (not baggie) jeans front pocket. Did numerous trips in the car and walked around also. Completely forgettable in the pocket 99% of the time.

Also played around with draw methods when I got it and it is simple. Heck, I drew out of pocket with my wife standing there and she asked where that gun came from.

Can't ask for more than that.

#16 ·
How do you like the Armalaser?

I'm a gadget hound so I can't help myself from accesorizing. I have already added a Handall Jr. to my PM9 and tried but ended up not using the Pierce grip extenders. I've been thinking of trying the new Crimson Trace for the PM9 when they become available later this year.

#17 ·
I just received my Milt Sparks VM11 for my PM9 and it was worth the wait. I can not believe how comfortable that holster is. I have worn it every day now, three in a row and it is awesome. The fit is a little snug but getting better. I waited 25 weeks and it was like Christmas when it came.....Very nice holster for a very nice weapon.

#19 ·
I'm also looking at the FIST kydex pocket holster for my PM9. Does anyone have any experience with the hybrids that FIST offers? I'm wondering how much it will add to the thickness and defeat the purpose of the ultra thin kydex? Specifically, I was thinking of a suede exterior/kydex interior combo that may help the holster stay in the pocket when drawn.

#20 ·
Hey bklynboy... Me too. Bay Ridge. Anyway...

I've got a Fist Ultra Thin Kydex holster for my PM9. Unusually comfortable for a kydex IWB holster. I haven't had any problem with it staying put, even without a belt, considering it only has a steel clip.
As for a pocket holster, I've been using a cheapo Uncle Mikes. Tried a DeSantis "Nemesis". Well made, but was a bit too bulky for me (compared to the UM).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.