True width of 1.5 inch belts

This is a discussion on True width of 1.5 inch belts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did not want to hijack any threads so started a new one. I have several RafterS sharkskin belts, including both 1.25 and 1.5 inch. ...

Thread: True width of 1.5 inch belts

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar

True width of 1.5 inch belts

I did not want to hijack any threads so started a new one.

I have several RafterS sharkskin belts, including both 1.25 and 1.5 inch. The 1.25 inch belts do not create a problem. However, the 1.5 inch belts are a little oversize and will not fit the belt loops in some holsters, for example Sparks and Brommeland to name two.

I just measured a 1.5 belt and found it to be 1.577" wide, and 1.29" thick.

Beltman is one belt always recommended in threads asking for advice. Would someone measure a 1.5" Beltman belt, and post it?

If you are inclined I would appreciate the same from HBE, Sparks, and any others who want to provide such info.
    I have found it frustrating that some of my favorite holsters will not accept the RafterS 1.5" belts.

I have been using their 1.25" belts, and must admit that they work well, in spite of conventional wisdom to the contrary, and the holsters do not sag or move. Since I do not carry heavy guns like 1911 steel 5" guns I do not really need a 1.5" belt, but I just want one.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I just checked all of my Sparks and the Sparks slots are dead on the money at 1.5"

My DelFatti rig slots are about 1/16" over.

JUST FYI - You can always wrap some sandpaper around an appropiate width of wooden dowel rod and lengthen your holster slots a bit by carefully sanding them until they are a bit longer.
    Just lengthen your holster slots until your desired belt slips through.

Even a round pen or pencil will work.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Measured a Wilderness 5 stitch Instructor Belt and a brand new (arrived today!) D.M. Bullard double thick gun belt, both nominally 1.5 inch.

No calipers here, but with a standard tape (I read these for a living) they both measure just a hair shy of 1.5 inch. When I say a hair, we're talking less than a 32nd of an inch (the tape I use measures to 16ths, the belts were more than halfway past 1 7/16ths inches). Thickness was right at 1/4 inch for the Bullard, a hair (same hair) over 1/8th for the Instructor Belt.

Tried belt loops from 4 Milt Sparks Holsters (ranging from well broken in to nearly new), both sliding onto the (Bullard) belt and snapping over the belt. All fit nicely, and snug (loops all also nominally 1.5 inch), with the most broken in being the loosest (but still snug).

Liking the Bullard Belt much so far, price is good and shipped fast (standard tan color, ordered January 22nd, arrived today).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I just checked all of my Sparks and the Sparks slots are dead on the money at 1.5"

My DelFatti rig slots are about 1/16" over.

JUST FYI - You can always wrap some sandpaper around an appropiate width of wooden dowel rod and lengthen your holster slots a bit by carefully sanding them until they are a bit longer.
    Just lengthen your holster slots until your desired belt slips through.

Even a round pen or pencil will work.
    Thanks for that. I never thought of it, and did not want to do any cutting on the slots.

I appreciate each input. Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

Administrator
    If you use a coarse sandpaper to lengthen the slots it will start raising raggedy burrs on the leather.

You'll probably go OMG! What did I just do? That looks terrible now!

Pay no attention to that.

Just switch to a really fine Wet Or Dry paper like 600 grit as your final step and that fine abrasive will burnish that raggedy leather right off and leave you with a really professional looking smoothly polished and slightly longer slot.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you use a coarse sandpaper to lengthen the slots it will start raising raggedy burrs on the leather.

You'll probably go OMG! What did I just do? That looks terrible now!

Pay no attention to that.

Just switch to a really fine Wet Or Dry paper like 600 grit as your final step and that fine abrasive will burnish that raggedy leather right off and leave you with a really professional looking smoothly polished and slightly longer slot.
    Many thanks. I am going to do that. You must be a genius.

I do wish someone who has a 1.5 Wilderness belt and a HBE would give the measurements of those belts.

Best,
    Jerry

Links