tuckable IWB - best to have gun high or low?

This is a discussion on tuckable IWB - best to have gun high or low? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a MTAC Minotaur for my XDsc40 and a Crossbreed Supertuck for my Walther PPK. The Walther fits really well and is fairly slim ...

I have a MTAC Minotaur for my XDsc40 and a Crossbreed Supertuck for my Walther PPK. The Walther fits really well and is fairly slim so no issues there, but I've been fussing a little with the MTAC, moving it around, etc. I am a new CHL holder, so still experimenting.

I've been carrying at home for a few weeks to get the holsters broken in, and to find the best spot to put them. Both are adjustable up and down, as well as cant, by changing the holes that the screws go in.

So here's the question. I found that raising the gun up in the holster makes it more comfortable to wear, but the Kydex part of the holster is up above the belt about an inch. Are there any issues with carrying it this way, or is it better to find a setting where the gun is further down in my pants? When I do that, there is a noticeable bulge in my beltline, but there's more of a chance of printing when it's higher, I presume.

Your thoughts? Any safety issues with either high or low?

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
    I have a MTAC Minotaur for my XDsc40 and a Crossbreed Supertuck for my Walther PPK. The Walther fits really well and is fairly slim so no issues there, but I've been fussing a little with the MTAC, moving it around, etc. I am a new CHL holder, so still experimenting.

I've been carrying at home for a few weeks to get the holsters broken in, and to find the best spot to put them. Both are adjustable up and down, as well as cant, by changing the holes that the screws go in.

So here's the question. I found that raising the gun up in the holster makes it more comfortable to wear, but the Kydex part of the holster is up above the belt about an inch. Are there any issues with carrying it this way, or is it better to find a setting where the gun is further down in my pants? When I do that, there is a noticeable bulge in my beltline, but there's more of a chance of printing when it's higher, I presume.

Your thoughts? Any safety issues with either high or low?

Here's my rule of thumb. Adjust the height high enough to get that "PERFECT" grip when withdrawing your xdsc, regardless of how much kydex is exposed. Make sure the pistol is not to high where there is too much space between your grip and the top for your belt. And of course not to low where you cannot grab and withdraw your pistol in a timely manner. Especially in a high stressful situation.

I've seen pictures where the pistol is buried so far down that my guess is that the person would not be able to acheive a solid grip while performing a fast draw. As we all know, in a highly stress situation, EVERY SECOND COUNTS!

Besides, why have an adjustable height/cant holster if you won't adjust it with precision based on the size of your hands, type of pistol etc.

Your xdsc in a MTAC holster is a great choice for concealed carry.

BTW as far as I know, there are no safety issues based on the height of your pistol.
    Last edited by TwinCarry; February 4th, 2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: typo
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

I like the Kydex to follow the pantline. Its actually even with the top of my jeans.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

A lot depends on your body shape..how much of a "hollow" you have and exactly what clock position you put it.

- OS

Yep. One person's washboards effect carrying differently than the next's spare tire, and so on for the variations in build.
    God, country, family.

Listen to these folks and just go with what works for you. TwinCarry is spot on about wearing too low to get a good grip on the gun. As far as too high, I think the problems you'd run into with too high is if it's too high to easily clear the holster or too high where the gun flops outwards away from the body making it harder to conceal.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I think when I talked to Comp-Tac they said they designed the M-Tac/Spartan so the trigger guard should be covered by your belt. Give them a call - very helpful.

Links