Any comments on the "ClipDraw" ??? - Page 2

Any comments on the "ClipDraw" ???

This is a discussion on Any comments on the "ClipDraw" ??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my EDC: M&P 45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Insight XTI Procyon weapon light and a ClipDraw This is primarily carried in a SmartCarry holster, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any comments on the "ClipDraw" ???

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    This is my EDC: M&P 45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Insight XTI Procyon weapon light and a ClipDraw

This is primarily carried in a SmartCarry holster, however access is less than desirable while driving. The ClipDraw allows me to carry at 10:00 for a cross draw while also keeping it away from passengers, friendly or otherwise.

I am completely befuddled by all the comments about the trigger not being covered. When using the ClipDraw, the trigger is completely covered by my belt and pants permitting no intrusion through covering to engage the trigger.

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Administrator
    The OP is asking about using a ClipDraw for a 1911.
    The engaged Thumb Safety on a 1911 physically blocks the the hammer from moving forward and the grip safety physically blocks the trigger from moving back so really a "covered trigger guard" is not so necessary for a 1911 pattern firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by community View Post
    it does not cover the trigger, therefore I will not use it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I tried a Clipdraw on my 1911, long, long ago. I didn't like it.
    1. First of all, there were no—repeat, no—safety issues with using it. The pistol's trigger was covered, and very safely too, by my own pants. There was absolutely no way that any "foreign" thing was going to find its way into the trigger guard—not even my shirt.
    2. Second, the problem that I did have with it was that the clip was not optimally placed, and the 1911-model clip was not modifiable. The center-of-gravity of the loaded pistol is kept high, which causes it to rotate somewhat around the fulcrum of the clip. It wasn't unsafe or dangerous, it wouldn't fall out of my pants, but the pistol's grip wasn't always where I expected it to be.
    3. But, third, my wife and I later (much later) tested the version made for attachment to non-1911 semi-autos for a review in Concealed Carry Magazine, and found it a better idea. The so-called Universal Model attaches with adhesive, so you can put it wherever you prefer it on your gun. Thus, you can easily adjust the way your weapon sits, and stays, inside your waistband. The Universal Model's prong is a little too tight, but that's easy to fix. The adhesive supplied with it really grips permanently, although it comes off easily when you know the trick. The S&W semi-auto in the previous-but-one post is sporting the Universal Model Clipdraw.
    4. Last, we also found that the S&W-snubbie model Clipdraw was a very well designed, very useful carry method. We recommend it, if you own the appropriate gun.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    M1911A1,

Thanks for your post. It reminded me that I should identify the Universal version as it is the only one I use. Choosing my own mounting location for balance and trigger coverage was essential to me. I even have one for my LCP but have not mounted it yet.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

to me it is the best thing around. i got one one a s&w model 60. makes for easy carry, the gun hides better than any holster. i got the kel tec clip on a p11 and p3at. now you are going to have people that gets upset about not having a holster and the trigger cover. but,,,,if you come to think about it the trigger is covered,,your paints cover it. been on the job for over 30 years and i have never seen a gun go off from someone paints pulling the trigger,,, only seen guns going off when someone has put their fringer on the trigger and pulled it. so bottom line is i would try it,,,you might like it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I appreciate the commentary. I like the idea of it on my revolver too. Some of the larger guns are really bulky in an IWB holster and it's just not comfortable while driving. I do a ton of in and out of my car while working and the IWB holster makes it outright awkward. I am still interested in the product but only for certain guns for the obvious safety concerns.
    2A is not negotiable

Senior Moderator
    I've used one on my .45. While I wouldn't recommend jumping fences, jogging with it or bull wrestling with it on, it'll do for the other 99 % of applications that you use it for. Like anything else, some will love it and some will despise it and its use is as personal as the brand of holster we use or the car we drive. You'll just have to try it out to see if you like it.

The way I see it, if its use means that you'll slip it in the waistband anytime you go somewhere, then its a good thing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    I saw an advertisement the other day and was wondering if anyone has used it and what they think about the product. I have seen similar products for KelTec, etc and thought is was a great fit for my 1911. Any comments?
    Although I have never used one, I like the idea for several reasons. With the clip draw you eliminate the threading of your belt through a holster when getting dressed. There is no need to re-thread when changing pants. Just clip it on, or take it off. Like you I think that a lot of leather with a heavy gun just adds to the weight that I have to carry. My only problem with the Clip Draw is that I don't like having the gun in my pants, it's just uncomfortable to me. Even with an under shirt on. Other than that I think the Clip Draw is great idea. They are not expensive, so by one, and try it. If you don't like it, you haven't wasted that much. My personal likes tend more to the Yacqui (spelling?) style holster in belt slide.
    Attached Images
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

I do like that version. I am a minimalist by nature and less is more in this case. I carry a very thin knife as a backup so I really don't like adding bulk to an already bulky carry piece.

For the price, I can only regret it so much if I don't like it.

There seems to be 2 very different schools of thought by the commentary though. I am comfortable enough with the safety aspect on a good 1911. I am just looking for a good ultra-slim IWB option for it.
    2A is not negotiable

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links