Any comments on the "ClipDraw" ???

This is a discussion on Any comments on the "ClipDraw" ??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw an advertisement the other day and was wondering if anyone has used it and what they think about the product. I have seen ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I saw an advertisement the other day and was wondering if anyone has used it and what they think about the product. I have seen similar products for KelTec, etc and thought is was a great fit for my 1911. Any comments?

Senior Moderator
    I am leery about any method of carry which doesn't cover the trigger.

I know people who use the clips on Kel-tecs but I would rather have a holster
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Is that a matter of comfort or function though? A 1911 is already a fairly large carry and a holster adds bulk to the process.

I did see the clip, and it sounded "cool". But I doubt it substitutes for a holster. I can see use it for a more static mount, maybe behind a night stand or so. But not for EDC. Just doesn't look secure enough and it doesn't cover the trigger.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I am leery about any method of carry which doesn't cover the trigger.

I know people who use the clips on Kel-tecs but I would rather have a holster
    +1 In my opinion, any method of carry should cover the trigger.
    Every precaution should be taken for safety. Also in this day of civil litigation, an AD or ND of a firearm carried with a clip would have some lawyer drooling over the money he/she could win in court.
    Think about the clip on your cell phone case, has your phone ever come loose from your belt or pocket?

Senior Moderator
    It is a matter of safety to me. It is not as big of an issue with a 1911 as a Kel-Tec but a holster that covers the trigger would prevent something getting caught in the trigger and the trigger being pulled while drawn.

A good holster, does not really add much bulk and supports a full size pistol much better than a clip.

A holster provides more stability to the pistol and is much less likely to shift position while being carried. This enables to better muscle memory on the draw.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I can appreciate the safety position on this. I am leary about carrying most DA only pistols even with a holster for the same reason. I prefer the 1911 platform (and similar DA / SA) for it's built-in safety features anyway.

Has anyone tried the product though?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    LeCalsey, you're going to find a lot of mostly "new school" people here. Nothing wrong with that. They also will be hell bent on safety, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that!

But the Clip Draw has been around for decades (along with the Bariami Hip Grip or revolvers). It's been used by LEO's (quite a bit) in the past. And others also.

Specific to the 1911, where you have a safety engaged, and a grip safety which must be depressed (yes, ANY safety could fail, and I suppose it's possible that a Glock's striker could somehow release from it's partially cocked position and fire on it's own too), the Clip Draw is something that may well suit some. It should be safe to carry that way (as with a holster, one would want to ensure one does not drop the firearm). ETA: I do not feel the same about using a Clip Draw on a Glock with an unprotected trigger. At a minimum, one should then consider using the trigger block also sold by the Clip Draw people IMHO.

I've not tried one myself. Been threatening too though. I do prefer a good holster, and I have many (and installing one of these will probably preclude the use of some holsters). But the Clip Draw would fill a niche too (I do like options). I'll buy one at some point. Will install it on my car gun (Loaded Model 1911 from SA). But Ill have to modify it, to work with my ambi safety. The Dremel will handle that in short order. And I'll have to draw palm out. But I'd envision carrying it (when I do) SOB at 7:00 anyway, my favorite position of SOB (not to get everyone started on this carry position also, they'll have you thinking I am endangering myself and anyone within two counties ).

Do a search on the Clip Draw here. You'll see at least a few threads. I seem to recall a LEO responding in one how he'd used one for years on a 1911.

Or simply try it out for yourself. Hey, it's 20 bucks. Won't be the most expensive "holster" you don't end up using if you're like most of us.
    Last edited by T Bone; February 5th, 2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added safety content
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Took a fall with Clip Draw

I carried a Glock23 for some time with the clip draw.
    They also sell a trigger block that works just fine in preventing anything from engaging the trigger. See their site for explanation.

The only problem I had was taking a bad fall onto a cement floor.
    The Glock came off my belt and landed under me. Through this experience, I believe, I would have had the same results from a holster -- barring a holster with a retention strap.

All this being said, I want myself and those around me to be safe, so needless to say I now carry-- most of the time -- in a holster with a retention strap.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

This is my S&W Mod 6 with a 3" barrel with a Clip Draw attached. I have carried this gun for several years this way and have had no problems. for me it has been a safe, secure CCW way to carry. Nuff said!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Yeah, every time ClipDraw is mentioned, we have to have 75% response rate about how unsafe it is.

On the other hand, have never read about ONE documented (or even claimed, for that matter) discharge caused by the ClipDraw. Not one.

However, the occurrence of AD/ND while reholstering into traditional holsters is well know.

- OS

VIP Member
    Some like 'em but you couldn't give me one.

I want my trigger covered in a holster. No modified "Mex" carry for me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator

LeCalsey

If you want to try one (cheap) PM me - I have a dealer sample sitting around that has never been used.
    PM me.

IMPORTANT:
    You need to make certain that your 1911 is properly functioning and that it has a stiff Thumb Safety that will not move to "Off Safe" position on its own accord.

I have a clip draw on my Ruger Sp101

I got it more as an option, I dont really use it as the only carrying method. One thing to keep in mind, with my gun anyway, you cant use it in conjunction with a Crimson Trace lasergrip...

it does not cover the trigger, therefore I will not use it.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links