Have some extra holsters

This is a discussion on Have some extra holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not that it is the end of the world or anything, but for my main carry gun I had a FIST holster that was just ...

Thread: Have some extra holsters

Have some extra holsters

Not that it is the end of the world or anything, but for my main carry gun I had a FIST holster that was just fine and dandy. The trouble is, I don't even remember how now, I broke the mounting hardware!

Well thanks to the thoughtful design of the holster all I had to do was order some more mounting hardware from FIST. Of course the problem is that like virtually all decent holsters, everything is custom made as it is ordered and it takes over a month to get your order.

So I ordered three replacement mounts and a new tuckable holster. I also ordered an OWB holster from another maker. It'll be a while before it all comes in and then all will be right with the world, but the fact is I haven't been able to carry my primary carry gun for almost a month now due to lack of serviceable holster.

And it's not like I was relying on something cheap either. It just happened.

What has got me through it is that I bought holsters last year and I picked up blacksan's excellent used Milt Sparks holster for that CZ 75B. I don't regret getting that holster at all now because I've been carrying the CZ and the GP100 on my weekend excursions. The fact that I have serviceable holsters for my other guns has made life easier.

From now on I plan to have more redundant carry options.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    we ALL have drawers full of holsters.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Assistant Administrator
    ''Drawers'' - haha - I have just one BIG box!

Oh and - the numerous sho rigs that live on pegs on my office door
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good point Euc! I've got a new rig for my J-frame on order with Eric at HBE plus I'm running the Mil-Spec through its trials, looks like it'll be a while before that one gets carried though (crap, my hand's still sore!).

Still can't decide if the Mil-Spec will get an IWB or pancake, might have to do both just for kicks. Chris, how's your P226 compare to a 5" 1911 in terms of length? Do ya' think OWB would be practical or would that length be pushing the limits of an untucked "button down" style shirt?
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - 226 vs 1911 - well give me a while Jack and I'll take a side-by-side pic - might be of interest and I had not thought to do that yet. Come back in a bit.

Oh and the OWB aspect well - if you have seen my thread on holsters re what shapes we are - and my pics of my own Defender with the SIG then I reckon you'd manage fine.

As long as holster rides high enough and shirt long enough - bingo - concealed
    Chris - P95

I have 3 holsters for my primary carry. Two Kydex & one leather. My bigget concern is that I don't have a 2nd 1911 to hold the mouth of the leather holster open when not in use. Should I remidy the problem?
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Assistant Administrator
    Jack - here ya go - I am posting three because hard to make one a definitive pic to show differences. One on top of the other does not work well either. Hopefully they will provide some useful comparison.

The SIG is bright and Sistema dull - so a disparity in reflectivity and thus - have kept pics a bit soft on purpose.

Chris - P95

Assistant Administrator
    Longtooth - I fixed that prob on an old rig I used for my 686 with PPC.

I cut a number of pieces of scrap wood and built up the shape quite closely be gluing bits together - and left this in rig when not in use. Just make sure it is not oversize - and it should help.

In fact if only the mouth - just make the required portion of the dummy gun.
    Chris - P95

Thanks Chris, your first pic shows pretty much what would a "straight drop" carry. Considering the front strap at the rear of trigger guard as the mouth of the holster, it appears the 1911 might have 1/2" to 3/4" more slide than your 226ST projecting below the belt. Seems a high ride and a little extra cant might indeed make OWB possible.

Beautiful Sistema ya' got there BTW, looks like it's had some pampering. Not a bad Sig either (ssshhh, don't tell Bruce).
    Jack

Thanks 95, the wife was looking over my shoulder when this came up. She said, hey, he has a better idea than you. No new 1911 yet. I will ow look for another opportunity.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Well longtooth ... if you were to insert a dummy form into your holster, unless that form were METICULOUSLY made to specs, you'd run the risk of altering the retention qualities of that holster. We all know what that means: a shifting firearm leading to excessive wear of the gun's finish (thereby accelerating rust and corrosion of your fine, expensive firearm), destruction of everything you've learned during those long, hard hours of training because your weapon is no longer positioned in the exact same place every time you draw and last, but certainly not least, the very real possibility of having the weapon fall out while performing the tumbling portion of your floor exercises (I believe the East German judge deducts points for that ).

See Missus Longtooth? A new 1911 has all sorts of practical advantages - heck, it's almost a requirement!
    ( think she bought it?)
    Jack

Links