Mini-Review: "I Told You So", or Disappointment Reigns

This is a discussion on Mini-Review: "I Told You So", or Disappointment Reigns within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wanting an inexpensive leather pocket holster (without a wait list) for my G36 as well as a replacement pocket holster for my G26, I found ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-Review: "I Told You So", or Disappointment Reigns

Exclamation Mini-Review: "I Told You So", or Disappointment Reigns

Wanting an inexpensive leather pocket holster (without a wait list) for my G36 as well as a replacement pocket holster for my G26, I found these:

Galco Pocket Protector Holster ($24.95)

They arrived yesterday, and I was sorely (but not totally unexpectedly) disappointed. To say it another way, my expectations were not high, and they failed to meet my expectations.....

Mini-Review:

Lightweight, sloppy leather that will never last a seasons worth of carry without breaking down into soft mush;

No boning or forming whatsoever (almost flat, like folded canvas)(I didn't expect much anyway);

Lightweight and cheap thread;

The irregular stitching was not even pulled tight enough and would fail quickly due to abrasion;

Disappointed, but again, chagrined.......I should have know better....

Just a bit more $$, and I will get a custom leather piece I can be proud of

Watch out TwinCarry....I'm catching up...He he he

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have Hume 001 pocket holsters for my KT P 32 and P3AT. Just checked the site, and they are $35. I think I got mine from other than direct and at a discount. I am completely satisfied with this holster.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I've got one of those Galco disasters for my Micro Compact (and I've got a lot of Galco holsters that I really like). That one never even made it to the holster drawer. It's around here.... somewhere.

Have a look at Fist. They're reasonable and quick from what I've heard.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I've got one of those Galco disasters for my Micro Compact (and I've got a lot of Galco holsters that I really like). That one never even made it to the holster drawer. It's around here.... somewhere.
    In my holster experience I have generally had better luck with Galco than with Bianchi for quality and fit, but either way it's hit and miss. I have a Galco Combat Master that I like and sometimes use with my Beretta 92.

Mika Holsters for normal pocket carry, But for a G-36 for me, is to big for pocket carry.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VIP Member
    I just discovered RKBA... I must have been sleeping under a rock because these look very good and are only $35.00!

RKBA Leather & Holsters
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Erm, maybe the leather is a bit new yet? Let it break in.

I've carried my P3AT w/ crimson trace when not on my ankle in that holster for over a year. No rips, tears, and has molded fine to the pistol. I've gotten the holster totally wet too. Proceeded to let it dry and it kept its form. I can draw quicker from this holster in my pocket and fire than I can IWB.

Sorry for the camera phone quality.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    They arrived yesterday, and I was sorely (but not totally unexpectedly) disappointed. To say it another way, my expectations were not high, and they failed to meet my expectations.....
    Sorry to hear that. It's always bad when your expectations are not met by something that is ordered. It's not always a surprise but it still sucks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Slightly better pics. You can see the wear and tear. and how the holster has molded to the right side of my leg. IMO the best part of this holster is that half dollar size space between the grip of the pistol and the holster above the "wing" of the holster....I place my ring finger here when drawing and use that finger to help "push" the holster off the pistol when drawing. Some pocket holsters don't have this space.

J

If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I BEG TO DIFER.

I work for Galco. I think your expectations were a bit high for $24.95. I think its a geat entry level pocket holster.

The “lightweight sloppy leather” you are referring to is the same leather used on the harness for the Jackass Rig and the entire Classic Lite rig, the Sto-N-Go, The Paddle Lite, the Ankle Lite, and the Walkabout. It resembles heavy weight suede.
    Yes it is lightweight, this is by design. You will notice the holster is listed in our “lite” line.
    How is leather “sloppy”? Fit can be sloppy, finish can be sloppy. How does this apply to the leather itself?

No boning? Not surprising considering the holster shown on the website (which you copied to your posting) is not a molded holster. Was the photo misleading? Why were you expecting boning?
    The purpose of boning is retention. How much retention did you want while the holster was in your pocket? Deep molding of a pocket holster is not condusive to a quick presentation.

Irregular stitching? The stitching is done by hand on a harness-stitching machine. It is specifically designed to place x stitches per inch. How is this irregular? The photo you posted shows very regular stitching.

I have included a photo of my Pocket protector. Forgive the shape as it has spent many hours in my pocket and gotten a bit sweaty. Sometimes I carry it as a primary, more often as a bug. While it is well used, it shows no sign of imminent failure after 2 years use. You may note some molding, this was caused by the soft leather naturally molding to the hard surface while being in my pocket.

Wow! And I thought mine was well used!

Sweet to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Old Padawan View Post
    I BEG TO DIFER.

I work for Galco. I think your expectations were a bit high for $24.95. I think its a geat entry level pocket holster.
    I don't disagree, I stated my expectations weren't high, but I'll elaborate on my opinions a bit more based on the Galco description I've copied below. I do have a nicely made custom, for the same price, with rough-out 6/7 weight vegetable tanned (USA) leather. I was expecting at least 5/6 or 6/7 weight, but again, the site did not elaborate on the weight of the leather.

The “lightweight sloppy leather” you are referring to is the same leather used on the harness for the Jackass Rig and the entire Classic Lite rig, the Sto-N-Go, The Paddle Lite, the Ankle Lite, and the Walkabout. It resembles heavy weight suede.
    If the site had said it resembled heavy weight suede I would have passed. If I knew it was the same as harness material for a shoulder or ankle rig I would have passed. The site states it is made of "Premium Center Cut Steerhide™". It does not say it is made of the same material as the harness rigs. I could not find a description of "Premium Center Cut Steerhide™" on the site, so I relied on the picture. It appears"Premium Center Cut Steerhide™" is a Galco trademarked term.

Yes it is lightweight, this is by design. You will notice the holster is listed in our “lite” line.
    I assumed it was "light", as it had minimal leather. Again, this ("Lite") was not noted on the web page for the holster or in the description. I did not shop by product line. I shopped by the "gun selector" page, which works very well.

How is leather “sloppy”? Fit can be sloppy, finish can be sloppy. How does this apply to the leather itself?
    The light weight suede is pliable, fold-able, very light (suede like) - I meant it would not retain a firm molded shape. "Sloppy" was a poor choice of words.

No boning? Not surprising considering the holster shown on the website (which you copied to your posting) is not a molded holster. Was the photo misleading? Why were you expecting boning?
    The purpose of boning is retention. How much retention did you want while the holster was in your pocket? Deep molding of a pocket holster is not condusive to a quick presentation.
    The website shows very minimal forming around the trigger guard. My mistake. The suede came flat with no molding, and as noted, was foldable and very soft. That will not change. It will not stiffen up, in fact, I'd guess it will soften with age (i.e. leather)

Irregular stitching? The stitching is done by hand on a harness-stitching machine. It is specifically designed to place x stitches per inch. How is this irregular? The photo you posted shows very regular stitching.
    The photo is from Galco's site. I didn't pull out a ruler or micrometer, just a visual.

I have included a photo of my Pocket protector. Forgive the shape as it has spent many hours in my pocket and gotten a bit sweaty. Sometimes I carry it as a primary, more often as a bug. While it is well used, it shows no sign of imminent failure after 2 years use. You may note some molding, this was caused by the soft leather naturally molding to the hard surface while being in my pocket.

Nice looking holster, well loved, and it has served you well!

Here's the description from the Galco site:

POCKET PROTECTOR HOLSTER GLOCK - 26

While limiting the carrier to a relatively small handgun, pocket carry offers some unique advantages. Not only is the handgun completely covered and concealed, but the gun carrier can casually place a hand on the holstered/pocketed pistol if a nonspecific threat materializes – and the fastest draw is to have the gun already in hand.

The Pocket Protector™ holster is designed for front pocket carry in pants or a jacket. The Pocket Protector keeps the firearm in the same general position so you can quickly locate the grip when you need to draw, conceals the shape of the gun so that its outline is not printed through the pants, and allows one-handed release of gun from both pocket and holster.

Reinforcements at the holster mouth and beneath the trigger guard keep the holster stiff enough to allow a smooth draw and easy return to the holster, while also maintaining enough rigidity to prevent “printing” and shifting of the handgun. The holster’s hooked shape – at the base of the handgun’s trigger guard – is designed to catch on the pocket so that, with practice (using an unloaded firearm) and while using the proper pants, you can draw the firearm while the holster remains in your pocket or falls away.

The Pocket Protector is ambidextrous and constructed of premium Center Cut Steerhide™.

Pocket Protector for NAA mini-revolvers includes a flapped pocket for spare rounds.
    To clarify, I took a shot in the dark - Galco has a good reputation and is a big player in the market - I am not dissing Galco.

I based my decision on the site description of the holster. It did not specify "suede or suede like or heavy suede". It said "Premium Center Cut Steerhide™" which was not defined. Based on the picture it could be a "rough out" rig. Likewise, the weight of the leather was not specified on that page - I made an assumption.

Because I was not shopping for a shoulder or ankle rig, I did not notice the similarities in the material used.

I hope this explains my original post better. Glad you like yours! It looks well loved, and after two years, obviously meets your needs. It just wasn't going to meet mine.

Thanks for your input, and the pictures as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    Slightly better pics. You can see the wear and tear. and how the holster has molded to the right side of my leg. IMO the best part of this holster is that half dollar size space between the grip of the pistol and the holster above the "wing" of the holster....I place my ring finger here when drawing and use that finger to help "push" the holster off the pistol when drawing. Some pocket holsters don't have this space.

J
    Thank you for the pics and the insights! I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 8th, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

i have many galco holsters, some are 20 years old. some i wear on duty everyday. i have never had any problem except once. the clip broke off from the holster on my udc286. called galco, they told me to mail it back and they send me a new one. hard to beat.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

You should look into the Horsehide Front Pocket Holster. It has the qualities you are looking for. Much stiffer leather, some light molding.
    Did you buy the Pocket Protector from Galco directly? If so, call and return it. Makes no sense to keep a holster you wont use.
    Ask to speak to me Bill King.
    Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Bill:

Thanks for the idea! I appreciate it! That horsehide looks nice too! I also found this description of "Premium Center Cut Steerhide™" on the Galco website:

Premium Center Cut Steerhide™ is steerhide with the outer and inner layer removed.

It has been treated at the tannery in such a way as to retain its natural lateral strength and, at the same time, provide a soft inner layer to protect the firearm’s finish. It also has an outer layer finish that is ideal for inside the waistband and pocket holsters due to its natural “grabbing” ability. Unlike our competitor’s products that are made from a rubberized fabric, our Center Cut Steerhide is an all-natural leather product that breathes, and therefore does not cause excessive sweating and chafing between the wearer’s body and holster.

Center Cut Steerhide works equally well for general holster designs because its exterior does not show scuffing or scratches, making for a much less maintenance-intensive product.
    I hadn't done enough homework.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links