Beltman vs Sparks belt - Page 2

Beltman vs Sparks belt

This is a discussion on Beltman vs Sparks belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a 1.5" belt and CC-AT today from Milt Sparks, tan. Kevin (I think) ask what holster I wanted and I told him what ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I ordered a 1.5" belt and CC-AT today from Milt Sparks, tan. Kevin (I think) ask what holster I wanted and I told him what pistol (CBOB Commander) and that I wanted a high ride slight cant and he suggested this set-up. He said it was what he wore. Anyway sometime around August I'll post some pics! Thanks all.

Now...

Lucchese or Dan Post? LOL

I have both, although a little hard to compare since the Sparks is a 1.5" and the Beltman is 1.25" which (I think) lends it some extra rigidity. You can't go wrong with either. Both of mine are holding up well, under regular wear. The Beltman seems to retain its rigidity better, but as previously mentioned, that may be partially a function of width. At this juncture I have a holster coming from Sparks (can't say enough good things about their holsters - this is #5) and a belt from the Beltman. The first time around, I thought as you are thinking - holster and belt from the same source. This time I thought I'd try the alternate path. You won't get hurt either way.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    You've got the right idea about ordering a complete rig from one maker.
    There's something to be said for that. I always had a problem with holsters creaking when I walk. I happened to have a Mitch Rosen belt for the last year, and went though several pancake holsters of several brands, with a variety of noise results. The quietest by far has been the Mitch Rosen 5JR (Express, not even their top of the line). Maybe it's coincidence that the one manufacturer's belt thickness and holster belt loop construction mesh well -- or maybe not.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    There's something to be said for that. I always had a problem with holsters creaking when I walk. I happened to have a Mitch Rosen belt for the last year, and went though several pancake holsters of several brands, with a variety of noise results. The quietest by far has been the Mitch Rosen 5JR (Express, not even their top of the line). Maybe it's coincidence that the one manufacturer's belt thickness and holster belt loop construction mesh well -- or maybe not.
    I use candle wax, but also have used KG 9, which is like Rosen's Leather Lightning to stop leather creaking.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I use candle wax,
    I've tried candle wax, but the trouble is, you need to re-apply it every single day you go out (esp in the summer). I may try the other item -- I assume it doesn't soften the leather at all?

Sorry for the threadjack...

Hi TwinCarry,

Thanks for the pictures, and your assessment.
    I like that pebble finish of the Sparks belt. I had called them about a sharkskin belt, but they were not taking orders for sharkskin due to the fact they were unable to get shark. It may have changed in the last 3 weeks.

The pebble finish looks like shark in the photo.

The Beltman looked good. When I ordered I wanted a cordovan belt since I had tan, brown, and black shark belts, but he only offered shark in black.
    I sometimes wonder why I like shark and pretty belts. I almost never wear clothes where my belts show. I guess it might be like pretty holsters.

Thanks again for the post and the pictures.

Regards,
    Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Glad I could help.

I purchased the Sparks "Pebble Finish" belt on flee bay, and when I first received it I was surprise to see the finish. Never seen this before, I initially thought it was shark. In fact I didn't even know Sparks offered such finish. I posted my new belt on another forum and recieved numerous compliments. Tony took the time to explain how they apply the pebble finish. The great thing is, this option is FREE of charge.
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Thanks, TwinCarry,

I just might have to order one since shark is so hard to come by now.

Have a great day.

HI dgg9,
    It is true that you have to apply it each day. The same may be true with the KG9. It is just a fringe benefit of wearing leather.

No, it doesn't soften the leather. You only use a drop or two on the tip of the finger. It smooths the inside of the holster also which is the reason I bought it. I had been given a bottle of Leather Lightning, but it is terribly expensive. The KG9 seems to be the same price but many times less expensive.

Regards,
    Jerry

The KG9 seems to be the same price but many times less expensive.
    And that's not easy!

VIP Member
    Twin Carry, how much does a setup like that "DEL FATTI" run? I've never used anything but a pants belt for CC. Is a CC belt worth the money? Obviously most CCers think so, what am I missing out on?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    A word on squeaky leather. One of my Milt Sparks holsters (out of eight) squeaked. I rubbed baby powder into the sewn seams (I've read this is where the squeak comes from, and this is a solution). I used an old toothbrush to work it in. One application only, squeak went away and so far (several weeks w/ about a total week of wear) have not returned.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links