IWB Holster recommendations for excessive sweating?

This is a discussion on IWB Holster recommendations for excessive sweating? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Florida weather is notoriously humid and I perspire excessively without the added humidity. As the warmer weather is approaching, I want to check out some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB Holster recommendations for excessive sweating?

IWB Holster recommendations for excessive sweating?

Florida weather is notoriously humid and I perspire excessively without the added humidity. As the warmer weather is approaching, I want to check out some holster options. I assume Kydex would be the go-to answer but leather would / can be more comfortable. Any recommendations for a leather that would hold up in that department?

I know that I am not alone with this problem. I am having trouble justifying the $$$ for a high quality leather that I know will get soaked from sweat. Does / has anyone had good results from a leather in this environment?
    2A is not negotiable

2. Remove Ads

I use my for utility, dirty, sweaty times of work. So far it has never soaked through.

I save my other custom leathers for other around the house, around town times.

I'd assume any kydex would be good for that as well. I live in NY so only a prob two months a year 8)

JD
    Administrator
    While I'm not in FL, I feel your pain. Without contacting every holster maker I've dealt with to get info on all their respective finishing processes, I know that Desibens Gunleather uses a "Angelus acrylic finisher that is a form of a plastic which is used as a water barrier" that should in theory help repel sweat.

He sent me a holster to review which I did here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...dgl-2-iwb.html

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Yep! I feel your pain!

I am looking myself for not only another holster but a smaller carry piece.

On teh holster issue, I just saw CompTac makes a Pro Undercover holster that looks like solid kydex, no leather. If its IWB I may be checking it out.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Lived in Miami and Clearwater for 13 years and know your pain +. That heat, crime, rude people and the crowds drove me out. Here are my recommendations coming from a sweat monger who's Springer 1911 is corrosion free:

First thing to do is to treat your CCW with Militec-1 MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil. I've promoted this product for the last 2 years and it is THE best metal conditioner out there and WILL prevent your gun from rusting If you treat it as instructed and give it a regular wipe down.

Second is to wear a tucked in shirt for a barrier. It'll keep skin abrasion down from the leather and soak up much of the sweat. I always wore a unbuttoned shirt over the top but with a good tuckable from HBE Specialty Leatherworks (my favorite) holster you can go without the outer shirt, though it does do a better job concealing a large CCW. H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

Last is to buy a quality holster and belt. A good one is chemically sealed and treated and should provide you with years of service.

Regards,

Roger
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

If you want leather, use a horsehide holster. Denser, more impervious to perspiration. VMII's all use horsehide for the back-panel (against your body) as standard, or opt for the full horsehide holster (extra-cost). Kramer also uses horsehide routinely. Downside of horsehide is that it doesn't take dye as uniformly as cowhide (because it is less porous) and it doesn't bone as tightly as cowhide. Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Dye in leather is an altogether different issue. You will RUIN shirts from dyed leather. I usually wear an inner "T" anyway to keep from looking a mess in 95+ degree weather but the white tees suffer from dye bleeding. Even some of the tanners do the same thing.

Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate the suggestions / recommendations. I would like to learn from everyone else's mistakes if possible. I am checking out some of them today. I want to do the research and get an order off before it starts cranking up later this spring.
    2A is not negotiable

Wear an undershirt. I cant stress this enough. After that you should be able to go with something leather. Supertuck would be a wise investment. +1 on the Militec.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

No matter which holster you go with, after a long day of sweating you should take your gun out of the holster and let the holster dry out overnight. I had to learn this the hard way by destroying the finish on a Ruger LCP in about 2 weeks. Luckily, out of the kindness of Ruger's heart, they provided me with a new slide but I learned a valuable lesson.

Also, have you looked into one of the Leather-lined Kydex holsters that are becoming popular now? FIST has an option to line their Kydex holsters and Tucker Gun Leather has a leather-lined holster that looks really nice. Check it out.

-Mac
    Exercise your 2nd Amendment Right, buy a gun.
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org

You may want to look at FIST holsters. I use an Ultra thin kydex with a sweat guard for IWB. Model #1K clip holster at $34.95. Add $5 for sweat guard and the delivery time is short.

You will feel as though you are carrying Mexican style, but with the safety of a covered trigger. I have been using one for appx 4 years and it holds up very well.

Not the most beautiful rig, but who will see it?

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    A couple suggestions here. First, the leather lined Kydex from Tucker mentioned above IS really nice, it's called the Silent Thunder. I have and like both the IWB and OWB versions.

Next up, Milt Sparks has two products that look really interesting. First is the #1 Heritage. It's an IWB that looks a lot like the Summer Special 2. Except this one is smooth side out. Here's an excerpt from their description (I hope Tony doesn't mind!).
    The idea was to create an all leather IWB holster that would offer the holstered weapon protection from body perspiration in a hot humid environment. To provide the moisture protection, a waterproof liner is placed on the body side of the holster between the thin leather, inner and outer shell.
    Go to their IWB page and check it out.

Another from them that's gotten raves from one or two posters I've seen that owned them, it is very similar to the Versa Max 2 (but thinner!), and constructed like the #1 Heritage. It's called the HR-LTD. Click on 'new products" to view it. These are both a bit pricey, but there is more to putting them together than the average holster.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Martini13 View Post
    You may want to look at FIST holsters. I use an Ultra thin kydex with a sweat guard for IWB. Model #1K clip holster at $34.95. Add $5 for sweat guard and the delivery time is short.

You will feel as though you are carrying Mexican style, but with the safety of a covered trigger. I have been using one for appx 4 years and it holds up very well.

Not the most beautiful rig, but who will see it?

I am a real "sweater" and always have been. Several years ago I discovered the FIST holster sweat guard and my problems went away. Great rig!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Lifelong Tampa Bay resident here (Clearwater/Palm Harbor area), and as a fellow sweater I find that the Crossbreed Supertuck in horsehide is the ideal IWB...not to mention great customer service. The Supertuck plus an undershirt, and there is not a drop of sweat on my firearm after a normal day.
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

The FIST is a great option. I like the thinner Kydex too. It should be a little more flexible than the others I have seen. Thanks for the tip
    2A is not negotiable

Contact FIST, Inc.. They have a hybrid, part leather-part kydex, line of holsters. I think Kevin at www.kdholsters.com also has a hybrid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links