This mom is looking for some holster options.

This is a discussion on This mom is looking for some holster options. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gosh I've missed you guys! I've been so wrapped up in being a new mommy I've hardly had time to blink, much less play on ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This mom is looking for some holster options.

Senior Moderator

This mom is looking for some holster options.

Gosh I've missed you guys!

I've been so wrapped up in being a new mommy I've hardly had time to blink, much less play on the forums.

Things are getting a little better adjusted with the family and I'm happy to have a little more down time to get back to my love of guns, ammo, holsters and everything else carry related.

Here is my dilemma.

Since becoming a Mom I've not had to carry very much as I have been pretty strictly a stay-at-home-mom.

The few times I do go out I can manage with my regular setups, but if I'm going to be out for an extended period of time or if I'm going to wear my baby I find that I have pretty major conflicts with my carry method and the means of keeping my baby near.

I like keeping my baby on my body as much as I like keeping my gun on my body for two reasons; one, it leaves my hands free to respond to ANYTHING and two, I don't have to worry about someone snatching him or having to mess with trying to fumble with him should I need to evacuate an area quickly.

But there are not many carry-friendly baby carriers out there.

For instance....

If I carry the little guy in this carrier (which ties around my waist), the ties of the carrier go right over top of the gun.

There is absolutely NO WAY I could draw my firearm without first untying the carrier and effectively dumping my kid on the floor.

I am actually packing in this picture and simultaneously thinking, "I sure hope I don't need my gun because there is no way I'm getting to it in time."

If I carry in something like this (yawning baby)....

I can more easily access the firearm but cannot access reloads or my ka-bar (which, yes, I am carrying as well in this picture).

I was thinking of smart carry but that would be even harder to get at under the baby.

I thought of shoulder holster again, but not sure how that would work for concealment.

Maybe some holster makers can get inspired by my plight and think of a new carry method for moms..

I'm looking for any and all ideas. I'm pretty desperate to get back to being 100% comfortable and confident with my carry system.. this time I'm just adding a baby.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know about packing with a baby strapped in like that, but I want to say YOU LOOK MARVELOUS! Are you sure YOU really had that bundle of joy?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I don't know about packing with a baby strapped in like that, but I want to say YOU LOOK MARVELOUS! Are you sure YOU really had that bundle of joy?
    If not, that was a very weird 26-hour-long dream I had about two and a half months ago that ended with lots of nurses and doctors and tears of joy and all that other stuff..lol

Nope, I'm pretty sure I was there.

Thanks for the compliment!

As I've said, I'm okay while carrying IWB at around 4 o'clock.

I've been carrying anything from the Wilson to the Kimber Ultra CDP to one of Colt Mustangs.

I've tried carrying my j-frame, but the cylinder just makes it too uncomfortable.

I wish they made a baby carrier with a holster built in it. That, I would look into.

Only option I've seen is the kiddie backpacks
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Congrats on the baby! Is ankle carry a viable option?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Pocket, but your jeans will most likely make it print (if that's an issue, I know VA is OC).

I think if you are able to wear the second baby sling and carry that is the better option. Being able to draw and fire one magazine full of ammo at any threat is probably your most practical option. Retreat while creating distance to get you and you child to safer quarters. Figure with a 1911 you have 6-9 shots (depending on size and caliber) before you will need to reload. Should be plenty to get to safety.

If you have time, then you can reload. Practice doing this with a pillow in the sling instead of the baby, for safety.

Also try putting your back up mag in a pocket or a place other than your waistline. Maybe carry 2 mags, one in the pouch like normal and one in a pocket. Grab whatever one is closer. If you need to reload twice, you're up the creek big time.

ETA: This is where those one hand drills in IDPA come into play. Push one ear of your child into your chest while using your weak hand to cover the other ear.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    First of all I must say you look magnificent after having the baby, and the baby is extremely cute as well!
    Since I don't know what you carry aside from the Ka-Bar, is a Small-of-Back holster an option. I'm not too sure, but it doesn't appear that either of your baby-carrying methods would conflict with a holster carried SOB-style. It seems you should be able to find a decent 'baggy' shirt to wear that would cover a pistol if you carried it that way.
    Good luck in your quest! I must say, anyone that would mess with a pregnant woman or a woman who's carrying a baby deserves to get shot! Just my opinion!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Only option I've seen is the kiddie backpacks
    I am having problems with my baby backpack due to the waist support strap wrapping around the grip of my HK in a SuperTuck. I already wear it low and am unable to sink it deeper into my waist. I think I am going to go with the Wilderness Safepacker secured to the shoulder or cross strap. It is either that or an ankle holster while carrying the baby with the backpack.

My front loader is a Snugli and instead of a waist support, it crosses in the middle of my back. I can easily carry IWB. My wife caught me practice drawing (unloaded) with our 5 month old boy in the Snugli and now I have to practice with one of my daughter's dolls/stuffed animals. None of my kids liked the front loader as much as the backpack once they could hold their heads up.

BTW, congratulations.

I would do P3AT in a pocket holster, and reloads in the front left pocket.

Simpler then trying to make a larger gun work too.

If I (cross eye dominant Bob) can put 8 holes in the medulla at 5yards one handed with my tiny P32, you can do a lot of damage with a larger caliber P3AT
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ACT 235 Certified #45700

Good to see you back, Lima

I would also suggest pocket carry of a Ruger LCP or KT P3AT.

Senior Moderator
    Lima,

I'll try to post pics of me carrying my youngest in a sling later.

I have the sling over my right shoulder leaving my right hip free for my pistol.

1 reload for an auto located at appendix postion. If I am carrying my snubbie I have 2 speed strips in my right front pocket.

My wife usually carries Ian (the youngest) in the sling and I have William (the oldest) in a backpack. With the backpack I use a smartcarry.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

los
    Depending on your weapon of choice and usual attire, have you considered "front pocket carry"..?

CONGRATS on the Bambino..!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

JD
    Administrator
    I don't think the shoulder holster will work in this application very well as you're adding another physical object between you and reaching the gun, we can work out the dynamics of that later....

As for pocket carry, Lima would have to buy almost all new jeans as her current wardrobe is not suitable for pocket carry, a chap-stick prints bad enogh as it is and she has enough trouble getting that out of her pocket at a leisurely pace...

Ankle carry. Not commenting on that.

Currently I think she's just going to have to wear the OWB holster and a cover garment, both OWBs for Wilson have suitable body shields that will allow the harness and shirts to be tucked behind the shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
    I am having problems with my baby backpack due to the waist support strap wrapping around the grip of my HK in a SuperTuck. I already wear it low and am unable to sink it deeper into my waist. I think I am going to go with the Wilderness Safepacker secured to the shoulder or cross strap. It is either that or an ankle holster while carrying the baby with the backpack.

My front loader is a Snugli and instead of a waist support, it crosses in the middle of my back. I can easily carry IWB. My wife caught me practice drawing (unloaded) with our 5 month old boy in the Snugli and now I have to practice with one of my daughter's dolls/stuffed animals. None of my kids liked the front loader as much as the backpack once they could hold their heads up.

BTW, congratulations.
    I like the safe packer possibility, we'll have to look into that.

About the only other thing that comes to mind is sewing the Nemesis to the body side of one of the carriers, retention would suck, but it's a start...

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    How 'bout getting a sling that goes over the other shoulder, and sew a mag pocket into it? The pocket could be obviously "Huggie" in size and shape, and might have room for your other items as well.

If the sling were over your right shoulder, it would leave your right hand and hip free for carry and draw.
    Attached Images
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Lima,

It would be totally easy to make you basically a pocket holster with velcro on it. You could add a velcro piece to your carriers somewhere that would be comfortable to you and the baby. I'd recommend a small gun for that reason.

That would be easy, how do you think it would work?

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links