Holster options for a lady

This is a discussion on Holster options for a lady within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The title is somewhat vague, so let me get specific: I'm looking for advice on carry options for a lady who will not wear a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The title is somewhat vague, so let me get specific:

I'm looking for advice on carry options for a lady who will not wear a belt. I know that leaves pretty much pocket carry or purse carry. I don't consider pocket carry to be an option, but any of you gents who have a wife who carries, or any ladies on the forum... any ideas or advice you can give?

The basic issue is that my wife is not going to change the way she dresses. She isn't going to put on a belt every day. Her dress varies from super-casual sweats, to jeans, to skirts/blouses, etc. Belts are something she wears to "dress up".

Purse carry bothers me a bit, simply because of bad habits of being somewhat absent minded about where the purse is left.. The other thing I don't like about purse-carry is that the gun is not on the person as much as it should be (imho) for a decent carry option. Purses also don't go hiking in the woods.

I understand I could have a few carry combinations, but I want to make sure up front that she would, indeed, carry it. Surely I can't be the first guy to be going through this thought process.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

VIP Member
    If purse carry bothers you, don't carry in your purse.

I'd let my wife figure it out for herself, instead of trying to decide for her.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    If purse carry bothers you, don't carry in your purse.

I'd let my wife figure it out for herself, instead of trying to decide for her.
    First of all, don't make fun of a guys purse when he's asking about purse carry.

And yeah... She will ultimately be the decider, but I want to have all my ducks in a row to be able to show her the options and throw out ideas.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

VIP Member
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.

For some women, purse carry is about the only acceptable option. It's not the best, but it's better than not carrying. If that's the way she's leaning, show her some of the custom carry purses.

If she dresses in sweats & jeans alot, what about a fannypack?
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Look, if your wife is gonna carry, you know SHE has to decide how. Is it that inconvenient for her to wear a belt everyday? It was a change I had to make cause I certainly didnt wear one everyday. Same for my wife. She has an OWB holster she carries in. If shes totally against the belt due to venue or dress code she will modify accordingly.

I think we get too wrapped up in finding one way to carry when all the options can be incorporated in our daily lives.

I carry OWB, IWB in the pocket etc... depending on the day and the dress code.

I predict she will work it out for herself if she really wants to carry.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Have her look at Smart Carry.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

My wife cannot wear a belt.
    Because of that, we are testing a whole series of clip-on, IWB holsters for her S&W Bodyguard snubbie.
    Some of them grab the waistband of pants or skirt with a satisfactory clip that keeps them in place, and some do not. Some make the draw, and also the reholster, easy and some do not.
    Our reviews are appearing every once in a while in Concealed Carry Magazine, and also on USCCA's website. They don't show up every month.
    Some of the no-belt carry methods we've tried are controversial, but we recommend the ones that work regardless of the controversy (see back issues for reviews written by Steve Henigson).
    More information? Send me a PM.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Most paddle holsters will grip the inside waistband seams without a belt. Ankle holster, fanny pack, purse. My MIL packs a .357 in her purse.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Carrying for a woman by a woman. Cornered Cat
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    Most paddle holsters will grip the inside waistband seams without a belt. Ankle holster, fanny pack, purse. My MIL packs a .357 in her purse.
    You pays your money and you takes your choice:
    Paddle holsters may be more stable and tilt-resistant. Clip-on holsters may stay more securely fastened to the pants or skirt.
    Everything's a compromise.

My wife finds clips to be more secure. I prefer paddles, but with a belt, not just slipped into my waistband.

Off-body carry, in a purse for instance, has its own problems. Whenever you set the purse down, in conversation say, or at a restaurant, you lose control of your weapon.
    Purses are also easier to snatch than on-body, holstered pistols.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

I don't have a belt, and still carry iwb

I carry my xd9sc in a High Noon Hidden Ally. I did drop the clip on it to make it more comfortable so that it would not jab me in my ribs. I'm short waisted, so it was a problem. Once I did that, it's been great!
    On some jeans that are loose, I can still wear my firearm, but I feel like I look fat, because the gun pulls down and away.

I just make sure my jeans fit well, and I'm good. No belt, no worries!
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

You didn't mention what weapon your wife has chosen. If she is right-handed, one option to consider would be a NO LOCK Airweight .38 Special J-frame revolver with a Barami Hip Grip. (She may find the grip more comfortable with the addition of a Tyler T-Grip to fill the void behind the trigger guard.)

Here's a couple of links:

Barami Hip Grip Concealed Pistol Revolver

Tyler Manufacturing and Distribution Company, Inc

-Tim

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Have your wife read this blog, written by a lady for ladies interested in guns.

Cornered Cat - Table of Contents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links