Need your experience

This is a discussion on Need your experience within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry so many new threads today by me, but hey, you came here to read, so I am giving you what you wanted... Anyway, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your experience

Need your experience

Sorry so many new threads today by me, but hey, you came here to read, so I am giving you what you wanted...

Anyway, I use a crossbreed for my XD40S. I would like opinions on holsters of the style below versus the loops-fore-and-aft style, from people who have actually used both, please. I am interested in comfort, positionng, size, closeness to the body, cant, etc. Thanks!!!

2. Remove Ads

I prefer those with loops at each side, rather than directly over the gun, as the the one you pictured. I find the loop on each end style to ride tighter to the body, is more stable and easier to conceal, as they are not as thick, as those with the mounting point directly over the gun.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    My favorite IWB holster is the Sparks ExC. It has the loop over the gun. I like it because of the leather skirting, but I do not find the loops cause a bulge. It may give more options as to where you wear the gun on your belt. I also do not find the ExC less stable.

I do not carry IWB much, but I find the OWB holsters with the loops over the front and back sometimes will not fit where I want it to due to belt loops that interfere.

Most evidently prefer the loops on each side.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    That's already a wide gun and having the belt strap on top of it would make the whole set-up too darn thick for me.

I prefer the belt attachments like my VM-II has or the UBG Canute I have on order for my XDm.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

IWB's

I have both (not my own, even):
    a Summer Special from Wild Bill and an IWB with "wings" from Del Fatti.
    The Summer Special is a quick throw on or throw in the glove box holster; it is just not very stable. I have to constantly adjust it, especially bending/working at the shop.

The other is very steadfast. It doesn't move and it distributes the weight better.

However, HBE and a few others make one like the Summer special but it has a loop at the front near the ejection port and one on the stabalization wing. This distributes the weight and gives it a slimmer profile.

Just my meager thoughts.

Cheers!!

I have used both and I personally prefer the loops at each side. I find that I don't get as much bulge and the loops on the side seem to pull the weapon in closer to the body. I guess it's just a matter of preference. As to the belt loops getting in the way, I carry every day at work and I have had the loops on my pants moved so that I can position the holster where I want it. It's not very expensive at a decent alteration shop.

I personally like the Summer Special style of holster, with the loops directly over the gun. The reason is because I don't have much room on my waist, and even when carrying a gun IWB, I only wear a 32" pant.

The loops fore and aft take up too much room on my belt.

Biker

I very much prefer having the loops or clips fore and aft of the holster body. I think it conceals better and is more comfortable because there isn't the added bulk of the belt loops over the gun itself; the whole package is able to be much thinner, it just takes up more room on the belt.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    I prefer those with loops at each side, rather than directly over the gun, as the the one you pictured. I find the loop on each end style to ride tighter to the body, is more stable and easier to conceal, as they are not as thick, as those with the mounting point directly over the gun.

+ 1 X 10. Much better design both for concealment and comfort. You would be amazed at the difference between the 2. As a matter of fact I would be willing to bet you 2 "C" notes that if you tried out both the one with the loops directly over the gun would end up in your holster box or for sale.

Try an HBE Leatherworks COM III (COM for COMFORTABLE). It and the DC Special are my 2 favorites. Look at the extra leather on the sides which hold it in place and pull it in nice and tight.

H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

Here is a COM III and DC Special both from HBE. Each are top shelf holsters!

DC Special

COM III

Happy shopping!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I have used both styles. If you are going to have one of those days where you may have to remove your gun several times (stops at posted stores, post office, etc.) the strap over gun style is faster to remove and replace. Other than that, I much prefer the straps fore/aft style. They are thinner and hold the gun in a much more stable position.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I have used both styles. If you are going to have one of those days where you may have to remove your gun several times (stops at posted stores, post office, etc.) the strap over gun style is faster to remove and replace. Other than that, I much prefer the straps fore/aft style. They are thinner and hold the gun in a much more stable position.

Hoss
    I just remove the gun from the holster before I enter prohibited areas.

Molon Labe!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    I just remove the gun from the holster before I enter prohibited areas.
    I do too if it's just a short in/out trip but for those that are going to take a while, I don't like having a good IWB holster getting smashed by my belt with nothing inside for support. Even with reinforced mouths, it will eventually break them down (unless they're reinforced with steel).

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Del Fatti IWB, Lightning Arms Sports

Quote Originally Posted by eddyb45 View Post
    Del Fatti IWB, Lightning Arms Sports
    Good choice. The Sparks VMII is also a good choice.

Milt Sparks VMII Photo from Milt Sparks website
    NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I do too if it's just a short in/out trip but for those that are going to take a while, I don't like having a good IWB holster getting smashed by my belt with nothing inside for support. Even with reinforced mouths, it will eventually break them down (unless they're reinforced with steel).

Hoss
    Hi Hoss, Good point. I still take it out myself as it's a PITA to put the darn holster back on.

I meant no insults towards you on my comment. You and that 30/30 are a force to be reckoned with!! Please accept my apoligy if I ticked you off.

Roger

Molon Labe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links