Anyone wanna stop me from getting this?

This is a discussion on Anyone wanna stop me from getting this? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; okay, so after doing the poll on how many holsters people have, I feel I am behind the curve. I want an OWB I can ...

Thread: Anyone wanna stop me from getting this?

Anyone wanna stop me from getting this?

okay, so after doing the poll on how many holsters people have, I feel I am behind the curve. I want an OWB I can use for around the house, in the woods, and occasionally open carry (a big maybe on that one though, of course it's not allowed in AL). So with the woods deal mentioned, I want some sort of locking system. I have finally just about settled on the Safariland 6378 with the ALS system MidwayUSA - Safariland 6378 ALS Paddle Holster Right Hand S&W M&P 9C Composite Black

I was originally looking at the serpa, but the thumb system seems like I would like it better. Additionally Blackhawk does not make one for my compact M&P (holster would be longer than needed) while Safariland has one good to go for me.

Anyway, the point of all this crap is to see if anyone has some last minute encouragement or advice before I go ahead with my purchase?
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I want an OWB I can use for around the house, in the woods, and occasionally open carry (a big maybe on that one though, of course it's not allowed in AL).
    Steve, I'm not promoting open carry, but there is no law against OC in Alabama. In fact if you check the AGO site you will find somewhere an AG opinion for '07 or early '08 that says it is legal. I would probably carry a copy of the AG opinion openly if I decided to OC in Tuscaloosa County.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    If you like it and have the means to get it, go for it.

Steve, I have this exact same holster for my Glock 23 and I love it. I use it for work everyday; it's comfortable and the draw is natural and smooth. I had a Serpa before this one, but the internal spring on the locking mechanism broke, so when Blackhawk sent me a replacement, I sold it and got the Safariland. I think you'll like the Safariland alot better than you would the Serpa. Just my .02 cents
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Steve, I'm not promoting open carry, but there is no law against OC in Alabama. In fact if you check the AGO site you will find somewhere an AG opinion for '07 or early '08 that says it is legal. I would probably carry a copy of the AG opinion openly if I decided to OC in Tuscaloosa County.
    I was not aware of that about the AG opinion. I'll check it out just fun, but I was referring to if I ever open carried in TN, where my parents live now. But I really really don't think I'll ever OC there either. I was just throwing another reason in to get a holster with some sort of lock, helps me justify it in my head
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Bama Steve,
    While it may tecnically be legal to OC in Alabama, you can probably expect to be stopped by local LEOs. You might or might not win a court case, but it could be expensive to find out. Just a word of caution.
    NRA life member.

No, I won't stop you!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have the 6181 SLS with the rotating hood. It is a well built holster. All of safrilands stuff uauslly is. You will be happy with it I'm sure.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Never had one of the Safarilands so can't comment on them but I've had a couple of the Blackhawk Serpas and liked them a lot. The index finger release was something that I actually liked as it put your finger in the correct position along side the trigger guard after draw completion. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the excess length of the Serpa. The one I bought for my WartHog was for a 4". I simply took a coping saw to it and cut an inch from the bottom and then took a fine file and emery paper to it to smooth it out. Couldn't tell it wasn't made for it.

Hoss
    Last edited by cvhoss; February 13th, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have used both and personally don't care for the ALS system. The holster seems to shift a lot more then the serpa's ever did, which causes issues drawing from the holster. I have also found that if your draw stroke isn't exactly perfect the gun will bind up in the holster, where as with the serpa if you are a bit off it still comes out, with your finger perfectly indexed along the frame.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I have used both and personally don't care for the ALS system. The holster seems to shift a lot more then the serpa's ever did, which causes issues drawing from the holster. I have also found that if your draw stroke isn't exactly perfect the gun will bind up in the holster, where as with the serpa if you are a bit off it still comes out, with your finger perfectly indexed along the frame.
    Does anyone else have any information about these situations?
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Links