642 grip

This is a discussion on 642 grip within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend has a Colt Detective Special quite old that has wood colored plastic grips and the right side the grip is raised from the ...

Thread: 642 grip

642 grip

A friend has a Colt Detective Special quite old that has wood colored plastic grips and the right side the grip is raised from the frame to allow the gun to be carried IWB by sliding over the top of you pants or belt. It makes carry in my opinion more secure. I have a Smith 642 and would like to find the same thing. He bought the gun this way so he is of no help.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Something to think about.
    Sounds like there'll be nothing protecting the trigger. If that's the case, it doesn't sound very safe to me.
    I won't be carrying that way.
    Just my opinion.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I carry my 642 by slipping it in my waistband with just the rubber grip above the belt. I feel quite safe that way.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowpointt View Post
    A friend has a Colt Detective Special quite old that has wood colored plastic grips and the right side the grip is raised from the frame to allow the gun to be carried IWB by sliding over the top of you pants or belt. It makes carry in my opinion more secure. I have a Smith 642 and would like to find the same thing. He bought the gun this way so he is of no help.
    It's called the Barami Hip Grip.

Sliding a gun in your waist band, without a holster to secure it in place is a dangerous practice and asking for trouble at some point.

VIP Member
    Used one of those years ago, when carrying off duty. It was secure and comfortable. I pocket carry my 642 these days in a Mika holster.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Y'all need to think about the double action force needed to pull the trigger on a revolver (and the fact that the cylinder will need to rotate 60 to 72 degrees!).

These things (Barami Hip Grip) have been used for decades by LEO's and others. In fact it was also common to wrap several rubber bands around the wood grip of a small frame revolver and carry IWB "Mexican" (I think we really need to develop another term for that ).

Personally, I've never heard of an incident from them. Might've happened in the rare case (wouldn't surprise me if there was a finger involved....) but they are generally considered to be safe. If you don't wish to use it due to the open trigger, I understand, and commend your resolve and dedication to your principals. But to call a proven product unsafe is irresponsible. (Besides, hey- it's a Michigan product, we've got enough economic woes here... j/k ). I think I need to buy one of these for my Bulldog (to prove my point). Off white, or black? Anybody?
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Sliding a gun in your waist band, without a holster to secure it in place is a dangerous practice and asking for trouble at some point.
    Yeah just ask "Plexiglass" from the Giants.

I would look for a good pocket holster like the Mika but let me add something else.
    This gun is tough enough to shoot w/o a good grip to protect some of the recoil. Not sure the Barami provides that. Just something to think about.

Hey JD thats just what the guy had on his colt. Thanks for posting it. SASS sorry man we just do not agree, but thanks for the opinion.

VIP Member
    Someone gave me one for a J Frame... they work but I don't care for them. I don't feel the gun is very secure.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowpointt View Post
    Hey JD thats just what the guy had on his colt. Thanks for posting it. SASS sorry man we just do not agree, but thanks for the opinion.
    That's what I thought, I had them on my 642, I must have been doing something wrong because trouble never found me, nor did I shoot my nuts off...

Links