Gun Belts

This is a discussion on Gun Belts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got my first leather gun belt (been using Wilderness Instructor Belts for years). Ordered from D.M. Bullard. Arrived about two weeks after ordering ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun Belts

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I recently got my first leather gun belt (been using Wilderness Instructor Belts for years). Ordered from D.M. Bullard. Arrived about two weeks after ordering (standard tan color, black takes longer) and was just under $60 including shipping. Good stuff!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

I purchased a Slide Guard holster from High Noon for my PX4 Storm. I was very disappointed how it felt on my side. I convinced myself I needed a smaller weapon so i purchased a P2000SK and then a Slide Guard for it also. When that holster came in several months later, I knew the gun felt better, but I also knew I needed to get a real gun belt so i ordered the Rock Steady from High Noon. I got it in just a few days. I already knew I would get a quality belt because I had already seen two of their holsters. I also knew I couldn't go wrong with a new belt because the one I was using should have been replaced a long time ago, even for just holding up pants. I was very surprised however how much better the Rock Steady felt while wearing it over what I thought it would feel like. I was worried it might feel like a steel banding or something. It really feels nice and I absolutely recommend it to anyone. It is expensive but I think it was worth it. It is two strips of leather with a strip of synthetic material sandwiched inbetween. Here is their link to Rock Steady;

Rock Steady Belts

If it works OK this should be a link to my leather set up.

Webshots - Full Size Photo

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    I purchased two heavy leather belts from Cabela's over a year ago. They have both served me well and were under $40. They were double layer belts called "Double Duty".
    Could you measure them and tell us how wide they are. The web site does not specify the width. I need a belt that works with dockers and kahki slacks. I am only carrying a snub nose so I think the Cabela's belt might work for me.

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Regarding The Beltman. I've contacted him (them) directly and was told that, yes, they could be visited at their shop. The response was friendly enough but I think they might have found it a bit wierd. I don't know how much stock inventory they carry, if any at all, but for the NC guys it might be worth a try. There is no other honorable firearms business in Apex. Sorry for running w/the thread.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy McElroy View Post
    I purchased a Slide Guard holster from High Noon for my PX4 Storm. I was very disappointed how it felt on my side. I convinced myself I needed a smaller weapon so i purchased a P2000SK and then a Slide Guard for it also. When that holster came in several months later, I knew the gun felt better, but I also knew I needed to get a real gun belt so i ordered the Rock Steady from High Noon. I got it in just a few days. I already knew I would get a quality belt because I had already seen two of their holsters. I also knew I couldn't go wrong with a new belt because the one I was using should have been replaced a long time ago, even for just holding up pants. I was very surprised however how much better the Rock Steady felt while wearing it over what I thought it would feel like. I was worried it might feel like a steel banding or something. It really feels nice and I absolutely recommend it to anyone. It is expensive but I think it was worth it. It is two strips of leather with a strip of synthetic material sandwiched inbetween. Here is their link to Rock Steady;

Rock Steady Belts

If it works OK this should be a link to my leather set up.

Webshots - Full Size Photo

Randy
    Nice looking set up. I'm sure the belts are very good ones, but I take exception to the comments on their web site which seems to put down makers who do not use a stiffener. I have double thickness belts without stiffeners from Milt Sparks that I have used for over 15 years and they stll perform as they should. I currently have on a Del Fatti gun belt with no stiffener and it works fine. I am not in any way speaking against stiffeners as there are quality belts that use them and High Noon is likely one of them. Their web site implies that double thickness belts are not as good and I simply disagree. I believe makers should promote the merits of thier own products and not speak negatively about products from others.

From their web site:"Most makers won't even attempt this method, its much to advanced for them. These are the ones still making them out of a single thickness or double thickness, two pieces of leather that they sew together with no reinforcement in the middle, whatever way its said, don't be fooled, you are reading this site , now you know better."
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have found double layer belts from RafterS and Wild Bill's to be perfectly adequate, and would not want one that is stiffer.

Regards,
    Jerry

I like this type of approach from a maker.
    Copied from Milt Sparks Questions page:

I get this question occasionally and my first impression is, is that the asker would like more for me to tell him why he doesn't want to buy the other guys product, rather then have me extol the virtues of our own. As you are probably aware, there are many other fine makers out there that make a similar product that may address a solution a bit differently then we do. I don't think its prudent for either myself or my staff, to speak negatively of a competitors product in a effort to try and convince you that ours would be more suitable for you. Before you make any decision to purchase, we invite you to compare the quality of our product with what is available elsewhere. When you are ready, give us a call and we will be more than happy to discuss the merits of any of our designs with you so that you can make an informed decision. You will be disappointed however if what you need from us is a scathing review of our competition in order to help you make up your mind.

Milt Sparks and Tony Kanaley have done very well without bashing other products. I really don't understand why High Noon felt it necessary to put that on their web site.
    NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    Nice looking set up. I'm sure the belts are very good ones, but I take exception to the comments on their web site which seems to put down makers who do not use a stiffener. I have double thickness belts without stiffeners from Milt Sparks that I have used for over 15 years and they stll perform as they should. I currently have on a Del Fatti gun belt with no stiffener and it works fine. I am not in any way speaking against stiffeners as there are quality belts that use them and High Noon is likely one of them. Their web site implies that double thickness belts are not as good and I simply disagree. I believe makers should promote the merits of thier own products and not speak negatively about products from others.

From their web site:"Most makers won't even attempt this method, its much to advanced for them. These are the ones still making them out of a single thickness or double thickness, two pieces of leather that they sew together with no reinforcement in the middle, whatever way its said, don't be fooled, you are reading this site , now you know better."
    That kind of arrogance is what will keep me from even considering this company for any of their products.

Pride in your own work is one thing, but trashing other folk?

No thanks. Someone else will get my money.

-JT

I placed and order with Milt Sparks for a VMII a few weeks back, and after reading this as well as a couple of other threads talking about how important a good gunbelt is I called them back and added a belt to the order. I'm changing my EDC to a Kimber Ultra Carry so I figure I might as well do it right the first time, even if it's on a six month backorder.

I am a advocate for the use of a good quality belt for carry. For years I thought just any belt would suffice. First good belt I purchased was a Wilderness Instructor belt six years ago it still is as strong as it was the first day I wore it, maybe a little dirty but still good. Last year I had a belt made by a harness maker sewing two strips together and it is my weekend knock around carry belt. I have Comtac, and Beltman belts with liners they are as good as I could ever want. Some might think a good belt is expensive I look at them as investments.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    It seems most good holster makers offer their own belts too. But man they're pricey! Are they worth it? What do they do that a good new regular belt won't? How many of you have one and what do you think?
    I posted the link to High Noon for the OP to have another option for a belt I hadn't seen presented to him. I hate that it turned out to be a bashing against High Noon. Arrogant, absolutely. I took that as them promoting their product as supperior to other manufacturers with the extra steps they put into their product. I couldn't tell you they are better or not over other gun belt makers. I can tell you their belt is better than anything I have seen at any department store I have been in including Cabela's.

I noticed the arrogance when I was thinking about purchasing the belt but I overlooked it because I had already seen two of their holsters and I figured they could back up what they said and they did.

The OP has concerns for the cost of a holster makers belt. I totally understand that as probably anyone that has shelled out $100 for a belt. (Lord don't let my wife see this one) They are pricey and to me they are worth it. They hold your gun up nice and tight. The belt won't roll on you. The holster stays put when you draw. It won't move around on you during the day Anyone looking for a gun belt buy a good one and I bet you won't be disappointed whether it be a High Noon, Milt Sparks or Beltman.

Randy

Johnsonabq,

From one "RUSH" fan to another

Purpose made gun belts are the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    A regular belt will not stand up to the weight of your gun and holster over an extended period of time. A gun belt will get the job done and last MUCH longer than any regular grade belt. Check out the belts offered by the BELTMAN, link is Gun Belts by The Belt Man. He has fine quality gun belts at reasonable prices with prompt delivery.
    I just purchased a belt from them. I'll let you know how it goes.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

I just found a Don Hume Holster Belt listed in Midway USA's catalog for $44.99
    for an 1-1/2 wide and $32.99 for $1-3/4 wide. This seems like a pretty good price. I know the Don Hume holsters are respected here. Does anyone have experience with their belts? Also, any guesses as to why the narrower belt would cost more?

This is a set with belt that Rhome Desbien made for me some years back (since sold, with the Gun it was intended for to Kathy's father of the Cornered Cat fame). That's two layers glued and sewn together.

But this shows what a real gun belt ought to be... (have been using the Black one of these for two years now)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links