Anyone care to comment on this holster?

This is a discussion on Anyone care to comment on this holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure it's legal, but I bought it before doing any research. What say you guys?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone care to comment on this holster?

Anyone care to comment on this holster?

I'm not sure it's legal, but I bought it before doing any research. What say you guys?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Can you say AOW, boy and girls?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Ok I'll bite what is it? Why would it not be legal?

It looks mostly dangerous as it doesn't cover the trigger and it looks like it is designed for pocket carry.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    It accomplishes nothing a holster is designed to do...keep things out of the trigger guard, allow the grip to be easily accessible, and protect the gun.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Might as well carry pistol without a holster.If I was a holster maker I sure wouldn't make something like that because that's a safety liability in our sue happy world ! It looks like something someone made.At least I hope,there's no
    more of them.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I hope you didnt pay much for it. It's more of a hinderance than anything ... not to mention a stiff degree of dangerous.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

It's illegal I've had one similar to that but a little better quality, for years when they were legal. It's illegal because the gun can be fired while the gun is still holstered.
    "Hollow Points,-For Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Looks like a bad rippoff of an old Smith and Wesson model 36 snubby revolver holster design. It was a plastic "holster" that was part of the grip of the gun. It made the gun the shape of the pocket and held extra rounds. The idea was to keep the gun positioned in the pocket, break up the outline and shroud the hammer. It did nothing to protect the trigger because the idea was to shoot it with the "holster" in place but you could get a normal firing grip on the gun.

The holster seen above shrouds no hammer, holds no extra rounds and makes a normal firing grip impossible. Looks like it might keep the gun positioned and hidden but that's about it.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be legal? Where is there a law that states you can't have a gun that fires while holstered?
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post
    It's illegal because the guncan be fired while the gun is holstered.
    Hmm I did not know, is that a State or Federal law?
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

A number of years ago, ATF ruled that a wallet holster that allows the pistol to fired while in the holster is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and is restricted by federal law.
    Owner/ Instructor
    Your Best Defense, LLC
    SC CWP training
    1st Aid & CPR training
    www.yourbestdefensesc.com

Quote Originally Posted by yourbestdefense View Post
    A number of years ago, ATF ruled that a wallet holster that allows the pistol to fired while in the holster is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and is restricted by federal law.
    Good to know thanks.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Don't know if this would meet AOW status or not. FWIW, the AOW "holtsers" are classified as such because they "resemble another object" (in the case of this discussion, a wallet) and can be fired in that configuaration. Not sure if this could be mistaken for a wallet once removed from the pocket. Also don't think I'd want to test the law (this one may already have a determination one way or the other).

If it is, you've acquired an unlicensed Class III weapon. Rather serious felony.

If it isn't, you've acquired a "holster" that will break up the outline of the gun while keeping it in position. But also one that won't allow a proper firing grip. I'd pass on it.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Definitely an AOW based on previous posts. As I recall someone had a letter from ATF for a similar "wallet" holster and it was confirmed that ATF considered his an AOW. Not illegal though, just requires another "tax" LOL. IIRC the AOW tax is not that expensive.

I'd definitely either file for the AOW tax stamp or get rid of it asap.

We could be wrong on this and ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK THIS INFORMATION to make sure it is correct.

It is our understanding that the FTB-BATF classified this design as
    non-any other weapon (or not a wallet holster) primarily because it is "readily discernible as a weapon" due to the exposed slide. The old designed wallet holsters covered the slide. As long as it isn't modified to conceal the weapon over the slide it is legal to own and use in conjunction with a semi-automatic pistol without falling in the AOW classification.
    Again if you are going to carry this holster, DOUBLE CHECK THIS INFORMATION to make sure it is correct, we could be wrong.

Alex

As I recall, the company that makes the dreaded Pager Pal makes a "wallet" holster that looks very similar to the one pictured here, with the slide clearly visible. Supposedly, they got a ruling from the ATF that their holster was legal because of the visible slide, so if this holster is made by them then it's okay. By "okay" I mean legally, not necessarily practically.

On the other hand, if it's a knockoff made by someone else who hasn't gotten a ruling or exemption from ATF, then it may be iffy. Of course, the whole thing looks iffy anyway. Good luck.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links