Non custom holster makers

This is a discussion on Non custom holster makers within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At various times we have threads regarding our favorite holster makers, or who is the best. Overall as I have learned who are the best ...

Thread: Non custom holster makers

At various times we have threads regarding our favorite holster makers, or who is the best.

Overall as I have learned who are the best I have purchased or have on order leather holsters from Kramer, Andrews, Sparks, Brommeland, Del Fatti, Alessi, and Alex Nossar.

Sometimes we want a quality holster and do not have time to wait for our favorite makers. In that case it is advantageous if we know of some makers with smaller backlogs, relatively high quality, and lesser prices.

I ordered a Fist #12 for a M 640 late in 2008. I was very happy with the holster as to quality and fit, plus price, which was around $65 including postage.

So could we have a thread as to who are quality makers, such as Fist or High Noon that do not have such a long waiting time and have very reasonable prices with good quality? I only have experience with Fist in this group of makers. I also realize that Fist may offer more custom options than Sparks for instance. The words "custom makers" are a little nebulous.

So my recommendation goes to Fist for an excellent holster with fast delivery, and very reasonable price. It is one that I have personal experience with.

Regards,
    Jerry

I hear Eric Larsen (HBE) is doing a very fast turnaround. His work is on par with the best too.
    H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    I don't have one (yet), but I have heard very good things about CrossBreed. Especially the Supertuck.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I consider them custom if made to order for the most part, so Fist fits Custom in my book. Planning to try some of theirs soon (the number of choices and reported fast turnaround are impressive).

For Non-Custom (off the shelf) holsters, my favorite is Galco.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    I consider them custom if made to order for the most part, so Fist fits Custom in my book. Planning to try some of theirs soon (the number of choices and reported fast turnaround are impressive).

For Non-Custom (off the shelf) holsters, my favorite is Galco.
    Hi T Bone,

I would not dispute your assessment of Fist. I just did not know how to categorize them and High Noon to keep them separate from top makers such as Sparks. In fact I think they offer more custom options than most "custom" makers.

I wanted some opinions as to very good leather holster makers whose lead times are fairly short and their prices significantly below the top rung makers. I realize that Fist has some holsters over $100, but many of their holsters are about 1/2 that price. For example my #12 cost $59.95 plus postage.

What makers below the one man shops and top rung makers are in the class of Fist and High Noon? Galco holsters are readily available in many gun stores, and in spite of criticism from many on the forums, I think they make a very decent holster, but are over priced in my view when compared to Fist, for example. But that is not the subject and I do not want to discuss that.

So for now I would consider Fist, High Noon, Galco, and Crossbreed.
    Pesonally I consider HBE to be more nearly in the class with Sparks, but since his lead times are short I would not exclude Eric. I also am looking for relatively inexpensive holsters, with prices less than $75 delivered or in that range.

Regards,
    Jerry

So how short a wait is short? I got 2 holsters and a spare mag hoster in 5 weeks from Erik at Side Guard. Great Holsters and the price is right there with your Fist.

I paid $60 for a Snap delivered and $50 for a Slide delivered. I wear the Slide everyday pretty much. Both of these have gone up $10 but shipping is still included.

Does that fit your criteria?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Sure. I should have included DeSantis also.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Several others I've read about here look really promising. UBG looks like pretty fast turn around and very reasonable priced. Pure Cusrom has some great looking product, I suspect pretty fast. Can't recall pricing, but it looks like great stuff. And Desbiens (Rhome) looks to be really interesting too.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Well I just received an excellent Com III form HBE for Valentine's Day...so obviously that is high on my list, but it seems many people on here are very impressed with the work of Nate over at UBG.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Well I just received an excellent Com III form HBE for Valentine's Day...so obviously that is high on my list, but it seems many people on here are very impressed with the work of Nate over at UBG.
    What was the waiting period and cost, if you don't mind?

I found the cost of $70 from his site.

Regards,
    Jerry

I saw some of this guy's work and they look pretty good. A friend of mine uses them and really likes them. He is a small operation but I don't think his wait time is too long.

John O'Rourke
    J.W. O'Rourke Leather Products -- Holsters, belts
    NRA life member.

Thumbs up

I can foresee this thread becoming a great resource for folks that need quality holsters in less than 5 months. Thanks to JerryM

My choices:

Galco - For Non-Custom (off the shelf) holsters (+1 T Bone)
    Although a bit pricey, cost anywhere from $60 to $90 - shop around for great deals. If you're needing a holster "yesterday" than this is an excellent choice. Available at most gun accessories stores. I consider the Concealable model one of their best owb holsters, check it out Galco Concealable Holster

AKJ Concealco - IMO, most underrated IWB holster in the market. Cost is under $70. For their "ReadyLine Holsters", wait time are from 2-3 weeks. Quality is great for it's price. And finally, their patented "Frontal Fold-over Reinforcement" and "Front belt loop system", they actually WORK!. Read more about it - AKJ Concealco LLC: IWB Holsters

HBE - Yes, it's true! Eric can deliver in LESS than 5 weeks or sooner. Eric made me a custom Pro TL Tuckable with shark trim holster and received it at about 4 weeks. Cost $120? (don't remember). Of course it's cheaper without the shark trim. As far as quality goes, lets just say - you won't be disappointed Check it out.... H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

FIST - Another great choice! The "#12 Basic" model for my S&W 442 is one of my favorite snubby OWB holster. I had a few custom request e.g. open bottom, straight drop etc. Cost is at $65 shipped . Quality is superb! Turnaround time was under 3 weeks (not bad considering the custom changes to model #12 Basic). Click on this link for more details FIST, INC.

Last edited by TwinCarry; February 17th, 2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    What was the waiting period and cost, if you don't mind?

I found the cost of $70 from his site.

Regards,
    Jerry
    My GF ordered it for me. She said about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks form date of order to receipt.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I ordered a Desantis Cozy Partner and it was on my doorstep in 4 days. Great IWB and it cost roughly $80 including shipping. It seems they have alot of popular patterns in-stock and available for immediate shipping. I also ordered a Don Hume SOOT about 6 weeks ago and still havent heard when it will ship.

Sponsored Links