Carry at the gym?

Carry at the gym?

This is a discussion on Carry at the gym? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Usually my work out at the gym is where I go to relax and unwind with out my cell, two-way radio and most the other ...

Thread: Carry at the gym?

Carry at the gym?

Usually my work out at the gym is where I go to relax and unwind with out my cell, two-way radio and most the other stuff I carry. I usually go later at night due to my work schedule. Last night I came out and the police were investigating an attempt armed robbery down the street. So I've decided to start carrying while I am inside the gym.

I usually CC a PM9. Anyone have any preferred ways to carry while working out? I have a smart carry, but I've never tried working out while wearing it. I don't generally bring a bag with me as I don't change at the gym since I'm only a 5 minute ride from them to get home.

I also considered getting one of the blackhawk fanny packs and I could always use it to carry my mp3 player also.

Any thoughts?

VIP Member
    Sounds to me that the smart carry/fanny pack idea is the best since you could also carry your mp3 player in it. People wouldn't think anything of it when they see your headphone wire coming out of it. If you saw someone at the gym wearing a fanny pack with no apparent reason, wouldn't that look a little strange. With a wire coming out, no one will think twice about it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I workout at the gym using smartcarry. The only time it "kinda" gets in the way is when on a stationary bike, just move it to the side a little.

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    I workout at the gym using smartcarry. The only time it "kinda" gets in the way is when on a stationary bike, just move it to the side a little.
    How about on the recumbent bike? I had injured my knee and so my doctor has me on it a lot for PT.. Trying to get the stregnth back.

You may also consider a belly band type set up.

VIP Member
    My weapon stays in the truck while at the gym... locked in a small safe bolted to the floor out of sight.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I also don't carry while at the gym. I don't have anything small to carry though either...P229 and gym shorts just wouldn't work together. I think it would be incredibly uncomfortable to work out while carrying too though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I carry a P3AT to the gym, but keep it in a locked locker while there. For some reason I am not worried about the gym being shot up.

Regards,
    Jerry

I vote fanny pack and you can hang a towel or strap your gloves if you use them, from the belt section. Nobody will even look a first time it will be totoally inconspicuous.
    www.snipercentral.com
    "My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban as soon as I take office. In the first year, I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, one gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."
    -Barack Obama, VPC Fund Raiser, 2007

You and I have the same workout/gym schedule. I work out at night due to work and family time.

When I do carry while in the gym, I use a SmartCarry. Even though I live just 5 minutes away and I do not change at the gym, I carry a gym bag that I can put my carry gun in and I lock it all up in a locker.

I never go anywhere, even in the little town I love in with its almost nonexistent crime rate, without a gun. You just never know.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I also don't carry while at the gym. I don't have anything small to carry though either...P229 and gym shorts just wouldn't work together. I think it would be incredibly uncomfortable to work out while carrying too though.
    +1 I don't carry at the gym either, unless I happen to have brought my gym bag--then it's locked upstairs (in the locker room) where I figure it's a bit closer than the car. Sure, there's the what if scenario but I like my chances

I have considered it though, that and school (and of course obeying Texas law some other places) remain the only two places I don't carry on me.
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

Sponsored Links