Deep IWB holster help- suggest a maker?

This is a discussion on Deep IWB holster help- suggest a maker? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to upgrade my make-do favorite carry method. I think I need a custom holster maker in order to get what I really want, ...

Thread: Deep IWB holster help- suggest a maker?

I want to upgrade my make-do favorite carry method. I think I need a custom holster maker in order to get what I really want, but none that I have seen have a deep carry design that they could modify to suit my needs. I like to carry my Kahr PM9 IWB at 2:00-2:30 (under the pocket area of my jeans) in a DeSantis Insider (deep concealment, and not made for my model gun- way too long) holster:

The Insider has no cant, but I push the holster so it rides crooked so that the barrel of the gun slides to the outside of my leg when I sit down, rather than poking straight down on my thigh.

I want a holster based on this design, but with the following modifications:
    1) 20 deg cant (so I'm not just wearing it crooked on my belt)
    2) molded to my gun for fit/retention
    3) made for my model gun, so there is not so much excess leather hanging off the end!
    4) smaller clip (or snap/loop would be fine) to fit snugly on my 1 1/4" belt

Can anyone suggest where to go for such a custom rig? the design is simple, but none of the "custom" (aka hand-made) holster makers have this design.

Also, while I'm waiting, do you think the nylon version (with a mag pouch!) would be more comfortable? retention will be no different compared to my leather insider, because the leather holster is not molded and is really too big for my gun. Here is the nylon deep cover model:

Images are directly from the desantis website: DeSantis Holster & Leather Goods

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

Is that deep enough?

VIP Member
    Ah... well, there you have it! Look NO further!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'd call up several custom makers and talk to them about your specific desires. The good ones will tell you if they have something they think will work well or that they could make to suit your needs.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post

Is that deep enough?
    Maybe... When I get home this evening I'll take a picture of my actual gun in the holster and wearing it so you can see how it really rides, since it rides deeper in the desantis than the pictured glock does (mostly because the holster is actually too big for it, but I like the result)

BTW I went to your website, very cool work! and the coming soon holster grips look AWESOME!!! I use a hogue handall on all my plastic guns for comfort wearing against the body- how cool to have a custom option available soon!!

You should probably look at Bell Charter Oak's A.C.E. It's intended for small autos, but he's been good at adapting designs if possible. He might be able to do something with the PM9. Also ask him about a "push-up" option to aid with the draw. I use his deep drop for my Colt Agent revolver and it is a favorite for me. I'm not sure about cant alteration, but "old flatfoot" might do it if it's practical.

Thank you for the A.C.E. recommendation, it may be closer to what I am looking for. I have taken some pics to show how I "cant" my no-cant holster when worn (which really just either makes the clip crooked on my belt or, as in this picture, bends the belt), as well as how deep the gun rides. In the pictures of the gun/holster combo, you can see where the excesses are- if I could chop off the excess, add better fit, and turn the clip, it would be just right :)
    Attached Images

Desantis makes the Tuck This 2, its adjustable. Take a look at it.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Sponsored Links