Which holster would you suggest?

This is a discussion on Which holster would you suggest? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a IWB for my full size 1911A1. I am currently thinking of these holsters, and I know you get what you pay ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which holster would you suggest?

Arrow Which holster would you suggest?

I'm looking for a IWB for my full size 1911A1.

I am currently thinking of these holsters, and I know you get what you pay for but need to keep the cost down as much as possible. I also want it to b e tuckable.

Super-Tuck IWB = $70
    Comp-Tac, Minotaur Spartan IWB = $64
    C-TAC IWB = $80
    Tucker, Silent Thunder IWB = $85
    Texas Heritage IWB = $100

I like the price of the Super-Tuck and the Minotaur the best but would like to know if they are as good as the others listed.

Also if there is a tuckable IWB that you would recommend other than these please lets here about it.

2. Remove Ads

Take a look at the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC. It's a few more bucks than the Spartan but doesn't have the exposed rivets on the back side of the holster. The MTAC has another piece of leather that covers the rivets. Makes a lot of difference in the comfort department.

I think the Super Tuck is as good as the others mentioned, and like you said the price is reasonable.
    God bless our troops!

jfl
    I like the M-TAC.
    Don't let the price be a major factor in your decision>
    You are going to wear that holster for at least a couple of years; so even a $20 difference will be less than $.03 a day. Your comfort is worth 3 cents a day ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

These are the ones I'm down to. Looks to me the Super Tuck is almost the same as the Minotaur or the MTAC.

Does the double clip setup have a advantage over the single clip varieties? I was thinking that they may spread the weight of the 45 out better making it more comfortable.

Would be wearing it in the 300 to 500 o'clock position depending which concealed better for me. I'm thinking 4-430 will be best for my build, that is going by trying different positions in Mexican carry.

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I like the M-TAC.
    Don't let the price be a major factor in your decision>
    You are going to wear that holster for at least a couple of years; so even a $20 difference will be less than $.03 a day. Your comfort is worth 3 cents a day ???
    You've got a valid point, but I'm a little taxed on money right now. Since December I have bought a total of 3 handguns. A Taurus 85UL, Glock 26 and just a couple weeks ago the RIA 1911A1. That leaves my funding a little low, but may have to wait until next month and get the M-TAC if it is a better holster. I like the thought of the Comp-Tac holsters because they appear to offer allot of options for cant and carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    I'm looking for a IWB for my full size 1911A1.

I am currently thinking of these holsters, and I know you get what you pay for but need to keep the cost down as much as possible. I also want it to b e tuckable.

Super-Tuck IWB = $70
    Comp-Tac, Minotaur Spartan IWB = $64
    C-TAC IWB = $80
    Tucker, Silent Thunder IWB = $85
    Texas Heritage IWB = $100

I like the price of the Super-Tuck and the Minotaur the best but would like to know if they are as good as the others listed.

Also if there is a tuckable IWB that you would recommend other than these please lets here about it.

I'm a firm believer that choosing a holster is based on the SIZE and WEIGHT of your carry gun.

I have all five holsters mentioned above. Since this is for your full size 1911, I say drop the Silent Tucker from your list. The weight of your gun will work best with 2 belt loops or clips rather than 1. I have the Silent Thunder but it's for my smaller and lighter 3" 1911.

Now we're down to 4. You have to decide if you want LEATHER or KYDEX. The 4 out of the 5 holsters in your list are KYDEX, so I think your leaning more towards KYDEX. With that said, let's drop the Texas "The Heritage".

Now we're down to 3. At this point, you really can't go wrong with any of these holsters. First of, all 3 holsters have similar features. They have the 2 spread out clips that will help stabilize the weight of your gun. All 3 have the capability to adjust your gun's height and cant. And finally all 3 in my opinion are equally comfortable.

Since "COST" is top priority with you, and all 3 holsters have similar features anyways, let's drop the most expensive one - The CTAC.

Now we're down to the final 2.........SuperTuck or MTAC?
    MTAC is only $6 more, so cost at this point is non-existent
    As stated above, both of these holsters have similar features and now cost. But we haven't covered; Wait Times, Customer Service, Warranty, and Trial Periods.

Let me just share my experiences on both holsters.

Wait Times - MTAC wins by 1 week

Customer Service - Equal here but MTAC have the technology that provides constant updates to an order via email. MTAC wins.

Warranty - Crossbreed wins with it's Lifetime warranty. But can you imagine wearing the same holster for 20-30 years? Realistically - NO.

Trail Period - MTAC wins by 15 more days.

Extra features - MTAC has another feature that gives you the ability to exchange the body for a different gun.

SuperTuck -1
    MTAC - 4

Yes SIR, you have a winner!

Obviously no matter what folks say , it's still your decision to make. I just thought I'd share my experiences. GOOD LUCK with your choice.

Last edited by TwinCarry; February 20th, 2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: typo
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Go with the super tuck
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

If you go with the MTAC you wont regret it, good holster good value.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Twincarry,

Now thats what I call narrowing it down, great job. I prefer leather actually but that in turn raises the cost significantly. So was looking at the hybrids.

Is the M-TAC a comfortable holster , someone had mentioned that the exposed rivets might not be very comfortable , to go with the C-TAC? I don't think it would be bad but I haven't ever carried before so really don't know.

But am leaning heavily toward the M-TAC, especially after you sharing your experience with me.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    For me, the double clip setup is much more comfortable and stable compared to a single clip type holster.

I use to carry my G26 in a basic sidearmor kydex IWB and changed to a CTAC.

The very first time I put on that CTAC I was amazed at how much more comfortable and stable it was. The double cip setup made a big difference.

These are the ones I'm down to. Looks to me the Super Tuck is almost the same as the Minotaur or the MTAC.

Does the double clip setup have a advantage over the single clip varieties? I was thinking that they may spread the weight of the 45 out better making it more comfortable.

Would be wearing it in the 300 to 500 o'clock position depending which concealed better for me. I'm thinking 4-430 will be best for my build, that is going by trying different positions in Mexican carry.

Twincarry,

Now thats what I call narrowing it down, great job. I prefer leather actually but that in turn raises the cost significantly. So was looking at the hybrids.

Is the M-TAC a comfortable holster , someone had mentioned that the exposed rivets might not be very comfortable , to go with the C-TAC? I don't think it would be bad but I haven't ever carried before so really don't know.

But am leaning heavily toward the M-TAC, especially after you sharing your experience with me.

Which is more comfortable the SuperTuck or MTAC? Honestly, I think with these 2 particular holsters, it wouldn't be fair to say that one's more comfortable than the other (because of their similar style). I think it really depends on the individual's body type. I'm 5'11, 190 lbs with 34 waist size and I find the MTAC to be more comfortable. Not to say I wouldn't wear my SuperTuck.

SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

You have sold me on a mtac for my 1911 if I can find there web site lol??2 or 3 weeks Delivery???? thats what im looking for.I cant believe that ive never seen theses beholsters before,ive heard them talked about on the fourms ,but never saw them,will that kydext stuff ruff of the blue finish on a gun??My Colt Comander is blue steel???All mine are Leather...

www.kholster.com/
    Very comfortable, reasonable and fast shipping. Anyone interested can use this code, 335061 and get 10% off.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I know you want to keep your costs down, but you really get what you pay for when it comes to holsters. I carry my Springer in this HBE Specialty Leatherworks DC Special. It's the best out there IMO and is a tuckable. I have owned both a Milt Sparks VMII, HBE COM III and this one is the best of 2 of the top rated holsters out there IMO.

This is my second one from Eric as the first had a minor problem and he replaced the holster free of charge. It's easy on/off, comfortable and hides a 1911 perfectly. It will last you a lifetime if you take care of it and HBE's customer service is OUTSTANDING! It's the last holster you will ever need IMO and worth every penny. The wait is about 4 weeks and worth every day of it.

HBE DC Special with SA Standard

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links