crossbreed

crossbreed

This is a discussion on crossbreed within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received my crossbreed holster from Mike for my XD40 SC. Although I have little experience with concealed carry so far, this is a ...

Thread: crossbreed

crossbreed

I just received my crossbreed holster from Mike for my XD40 SC. Although I have little experience with concealed carry so far, this is a very comfortable set up. With what holster I am used to carrying with, this is great. Much kudos to Mike, thank you very much for the service.
    1Peter2:17

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo CMAer
    I just received my crossbreed holster from Mike for my XD40 SC. Although I have little experience with concealed carry so far, this is a very comfortable set up. With what holster I am used to carrying with, this is great. Much kudos to Mike, thank you very much for the service.
    Glad to hear you like it. I have been hearing alot about the CrossBreeds on XDTalk. Have you ever worn any other IWB rigs? If so, how does this one compare?

From mike...ok. i'm always up to check out new holsters and rigs..who is mike?
    and as is always said here..."how about some pics" or a link to the offering of the "crossbreed"
    i should prolly know who "mike" is but i'm at work and its been crazy..brain is 3/4 fried currently.

oops..uh..no i'm not surfin' the net.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
    From mike...ok. i'm always up to check out new holsters and rigs..who is mike?
    and as is always said here..."how about some pics" or a link to the offering of the "crossbreed"
    i should prolly know who "mike" is but i'm at work and its been crazy..brain is 3/4 fried currently.

oops..uh..no i'm not surfin' the net.
    I didnt correct him, but its actually Mark.

His website is www.crossbreedholsters.com

Here is a link to the XD forum in which he posts pretty frequently, and will pretty much incorporate any good ideas into his designs:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27461

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    The pictures on the site are so dark that I cannot tell much about them. It appears that there is a lot of extra leather, and I cannot tell what it is for.
    If anyone can post a picture that gives some detail it would be helpful.

I am often surprised at how poor the pictures are on many holster makers sites. Some are almost useless. It can't be that difficult to get good clear photos of something so important can it?

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM
    The pictures on the site are so dark that I cannot tell much about them. It appears that there is a lot of extra leather, and I cannot tell what it is for.
    If anyone can post a picture that gives some detail it would be helpful.

I am often surprised at how poor the pictures are on many holster makers sites. Some are almost useless. It can't be that difficult to get good clear photos of something so important can it?

Jerry
    Did you look at the XDTalk link I posted? There are pics there as well. (on more than just the 1st page)

Furthermore, all the thumbnails on his site blow-up into much bigger pictures that arent terribly dark..

It's my understanding that Crossbreed's basic design follows the same lines as Tucker Gun Leather's "The Answer." What you have, essentially, is a rather large piece of leather with a kydex holster attached to it. Tucker uses a complete holster (that he gets from Comp-Tac), and Crossbreed uses 1/2 a holster. They both then use kydex clips - Tucker's allow you to adjust cant and depth, and Crossbreed's are stationary. He has come out recently with a modified version that allows the depth and cant to be adjusted. With respect to the "larger" piece of leather that the holster attaches to - it's function is to cover an area that follows the contour of your body, prevents the gun and holster from coming in contact with the body, and aids in keeping the holster from shifting. From what I've read on various forums, owners of either holster are very satisfied. Crossbreed's holster is about 1/2 the cost of Tucker's "The Answer."

I bought a crossbreed holster several months ago. The price got my attention first and I also happen to like kydex as a holster material. At the time, he did not have an adjustable model and did not have a tuckable model. I'm pretty picky about the cant of the holster prefereing a more strait up version, though I knew that his came in the traditional 15deg FBI cant. First the fit to gun was great, easy draw but held the gun in place. For the price you couldn't beat it...but I could and did improve it..for me. There were two things I didn't like, first the steep cant, and second, there is too much leather around the grip. When I went to draw I had to work my thumb between the leather and the gun grip. So, I bought me a chunk of leather and some fasteners, then pried the kydex portion of the holster and the belt clips off the existing leather. I then recut my own piece of leather with essentially the same shape around the bottom of the gun, but kept the leather contoured around the back of the gun and gun grip which makes for an easier draw. I also put it back together with a zero cant. Now, for me it's the perfect holster. Very comfortable to wear; more comfortable than the standard IWB leather holster I also bought. Since that time he's come out with an adjustable cant holster and a tuckable version. Just for fun I may send some pictures of my handiwork to my son to post for me (having trouble uploading pictures to my web site).
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    What a Web site that Crossbreed have so many choices so many lines of information so much to look at I am just over loaded.

Question? The holsters they seem to be pop riveted to a leather backing item?

Well the prices are cheap enough so if they don't workout you can just pitch them.

i tried a couple of those. traded them towards a galco. nothing was really wrong with the crossbreeds, i just didn't like them that much. ymmv.

Ok, told you I'd post a few pictures of what I did to the crossbreed holster I bought. Keep in mind, I don't work with leather as a hobby, so I'm sure their are others out there that would have done a better job. The goal was to customize the holster to what I like. And I have to tell you that though they don't look impressive, they are very comfortable to wear and they have a good fit to gun. So, what you see below is a $12 change to the holster I bought. I chose not to try and stain the leather; just left it natural. Since it's IWB, no one sees it but me anyway.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Simple, easy to draw from, comfortable,holds the gun well that's what it's about.

Assistant Administrator
    EC - very handy piece of customizing - sure looks like it'll do the job very nicely.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links