Appendix carry

This is a discussion on Appendix carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who here likes to carry AIWB (appendix in the waist band)? What firearm do you carry and what holster do you use? My main concern ...

Thread: Appendix carry

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar

Appendix carry

Who here likes to carry AIWB (appendix in the waist band)?

What firearm do you carry and what holster do you use?

My main concern is how comfortable it is while sitting since it seems for everything else it would be perfect.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I am looking at these holsters for either my G26 or G19.

comp-tac 2 o'clock

Raven Concealment ACR

One Source Tactial Joab (not sure, seems a little chunky)

2. Remove Ads

IMO, for comfort it's got to be leather at AIWB. Two that caught my eye...

Desbien's #4 IWB

Kellogg Custom Appendix
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have carried mostly at about the 2:00 position (specifically, barrel riding under the right front pocket on a pair of 5-pocket jeans) for 3 years now. I second the vote for leather over kydex in this position. For my body (which includes holster-hating curves, being a woman), a deep holster works best, as a normal riding holster with clip at the trigger guard bruises my ribs. 1:00 is also comfortable to wear, I am just not as happy pointing the muzzle near my large arteries on purpose :)

I have been most satisfied with the Desantis Insider (see my thread below) for the most part- very comfy. I have a nice SideGuard Holster minimal clip that would work great for appendix carry on a man (so I'm told), but it is just too high-riding for me, and I can't sit down with it on in the appendix position. Nice, well-made, pretty little holster in my drawer, though. wish i could use it, just doesn't fit my body :) I think it would be a great leather alternative to what you have pictured above. MNBurl here makes them, check out his site.

Other answers to your questions:

What firearm do you carry and what holster do you use? Kahr PM9, and usually a Desantis Insider (looking for custom now, though)

My main concern is how comfortable it is while sitting since it seems for everything else it would be perfect. comfy either in 1:00 with no cant or in the right-front-pocket region IWB canted ~25 degrees so barrel slides off the outsidof the thigh rather than digging into it. This only applies to low ride or deep holsters, IME, as regular holsters dig into my ribs

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I am looking at these holsters for either my G26 or G19. what I described above works also for the G26, have used my method of carry with a borrowed G27 and no troubles, it is just thicker and bulkier than my lovely little lady Kahr <3
    Last edited by tellico; February 22nd, 2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: to answer your other questions

Leather over Kydex for sure. Springfield EMP in a Bullard leather IWB works for me.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

I use either a Comptac MTAC or a Crossbreed Supertuck at 1:30-2:00 for my G27. I did do a little trimming of the leather around the bottom on both of these so they would not dig into my leg when I sit down. Both are very adjustable in ride height and cant. Mine are adjusted for medium height and pretty much a straight drop.

I have yet to find an OWB that I like for carrying in the same position in the winter when I am wearing a coat or jacket. Some of the high rides I have tried don't hold the gun in close enough (even with a good Beltman belt).
    NRA Life Member

Taurus P140 in a High Noon Mr. Softy
    SA 1911 A-1 in a Hign Noon Split Decision
    Ruger P95DC in a Hign Noon Mr. Softy

All quite comfy, P140 the most comfortable due to it's compact size.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Appendix is my favorite style of IWB carry. I just ordered an IWB for appendix carry style from Mika's for my PM9. I carry a S&W 36 in a home made holster that I sewed together one evening.

I will probably make another holster when I have some more time. It will be for a Guardian 380 I have.

Links