What about 1-1/4 vs 1-1/2?

This is a discussion on What about 1-1/4 vs 1-1/2? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so I did a little searching and I'm having a hard time finding info on my particular question. I did my taxes today, and ...

Thread: What about 1-1/4 vs 1-1/2?

What about 1-1/4 vs 1-1/2?

Okay, so I did a little searching and I'm having a hard time finding info on my particular question. I did my taxes today, and found out I'm getting a lot more back than I thought I would!! So I figure that I'll make the dive for a decent gun belt, most likely Beltman. Anyway, on to my question...

I'm trying to decide what size to get, 1-1/4 or 1-1/2? I plan to get velcro attached and get some v-clips for when I wanna tuck in my shirt. I gather that most people have the 1-1/2 but I'm thinking I might prefer a smaller 1-1/4 like I currently have, but I don't want to get a belt that is too small and defeat the purpose. I carry IWB 99% of the time, but will occasionally carry OWB at the range and such. Any info is appreciated!!!

This will be for carrying a M&P9c
    Last edited by BamaSteve; February 23rd, 2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: more specific
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    Okay, so I did a little searching and I'm having a hard time finding info on my particular question. I did my taxes today, and found out I'm getting a lot more back than I thought I would!! So I figure that I'll make the dive for a decent gun belt, most likely Beltman. Anyway, on to my question...

I'm trying to decide what size to get, 1-1/4 or 1-1/2? I plan to get velcro attached and get some v-clips for when I wanna tuck in my shirt. I gather that most people have the 1-1/2 but I'm thinking I might prefer a smaller 1-1/4 like I currently have, but I don't want to get a belt that is too small and defeat the purpose. I carry IWB 99% of the time, but will occasionally carry OWB at the range and such. Any info is appreciated!!!
    Hi Steve,

It might help if you would tell what gun you are going to carry.

I nearly always use a 1.25" belt as some of my pants will not accept a 1.5" belt.
    I have not found that the smaller belt sags, but I do not carry a steel 1911 5". I am using RafterS belts.

The heaviest gun that I normally carry is a SA LW SS Compact 1911. Sometimes I do carry a steel Kimber Compact 1911. The 1.25 inch belts do fine for either gun without sagging. I also use that belt with holsters that have 1.5" belt slots. Again the holsters do not slide around, and overall I prefer the 1.25" belt as long as it is a double layer belt intended for carrying.

You will get different opinions, but that is my personal experience.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Hi Steve,

It might help if you would tell what gun you are going to carry.

I nearly always use a 1.25" belt as some of my pants will not accept a 1.5" belt.
    I have not found that the smaller belt sags, but I do not carry a steel 1911 5". I am using RafterS belts.

The heaviest gun that I normally carry is a SA LW SS Compact 1911. Sometimes I do carry a steel Kimber Compact 1911. The 1.25 inch belts do fine for either gun without sagging. I also use that belt with holsters that have 1.5" belt slots. Again the holsters do not slide around, and overall I prefer the 1.25" belt as long as it is a double layer belt intended for carrying.

You will get different opinions, but that is my personal experience.

Regards,
    Jerry

Good point...I'll also edit my original post, but currently I carry a M&P9c. So it's a relatively small gun, compared to a 1911 anyhow.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I own both. I wear the 1.5" with jeans and the 1.25" with Dockers and the like. I carry IWB and honestly can't tell any difference in the performance of the two.

If I had to choose only one, it'd be the 1.25".

OWB might make a bigger difference......but for 1% of the time, I'd rather have the versatility of the narrower belt.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I should have stated I carry OWB over 95% of the time. No problems with the 1.25".

Regards,
    Jerry

1.25" for both belts. I wear dress pants 5 days a week and jeans on weekend. The 1.25" works best for all occasions.
    ...T. Ray

What are your holsters made for? I would match the belt to holster (or the holster to the belt).
    Gun control is not about the guns...It's about the control.

Current primary carry: M&P9C - Soon to be Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II

NRA Lifer

Remember when you check the loops in you britches even if they will except a 1.5'' belt, if the belt is straining the loops during movement the loops can start tearing on you. Good luck
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

1.5" for me. I carry mostly OWB. Works fine for IWB too.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Links