Leather Supplier Needed......

This is a discussion on Leather Supplier Needed...... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an idea for a holster design and am trying to find a leather supplier that sells by the square foot. I am in ...

Thread: Leather Supplier Needed......

I have an idea for a holster design and am trying to find a leather supplier that sells by the square foot.

I am in need of 8-9 oz. leather and the only way I have found it is by the hide which is 14-16 sq.ft. Way too much to just try out an idea. The oly place I found only sells light weight.

Anyone know of a company that sells by the sq ft and has 8-9 oz?

I've picked up various leather pieces at a saddle shop. I don't know what kind of availablility in NY though. Sometimes its great to live in the South/South West.

You might want to call a saddle shop (google some) and see if they would send you a piece. PM me if you want me to check locally.

Good luck.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Under most any other circumstance, I wouldn't recommend them for leather. But, for what you're asking, they're the best I could come up with. It's Tandy Leather Factory, and they have a location in Syracuse. The phone number's 800.446.2999. Once you have your pattern/idea worked out, get away from the Tandy stuff as fast as you can.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    Under most any other circumstance, I wouldn't recommend them for leather. But, for what you're asking, they're the best I could come up with. It's Tandy Leather Factory, and they have a location in Syracuse. The phone number's 800.446.2999. Once you have your pattern/idea worked out, get away from the Tandy stuff as fast as you can.
    +1 Tandy is ok for a limited products. Leather isn't one of them. You can also try hide crafters. Hide Crafter Leather Company

p.s. 14-16 sq ft ? Must be Anorexic cows. Most hides I get are 23 to 26 sq ft

Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    I have an idea for a holster design and am trying to find a leather supplier that sells by the square foot.

I am in need of 8-9 oz. leather and the only way I have found it is by the hide which is 14-16 sq.ft. Way too much to just try out an idea. The oly place I found only sells light weight.

Anyone know of a company that sells by the sq ft and has 8-9 oz?
    If you looking for partial sides, I have some natural tooling sitting on the shelf. I need to check the weight I think it is 8/9 but may be 7/8.
    If you are interested let me know I can send you a few square feet free just pay for the shipping.
    I am not going to use it.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsail View Post
    If you looking for partial sides, I have some natural tooling sitting on the shelf. I need to check the weight I think it is 8/9 but may be 7/8.
    If you are interested let me know I can send you a few square feet free just pay for the shipping.
    You can't beat that deal!

That is a class act right there. That is one of the reasons this is my favorite forum...everybody tries to take care of each other. Very Cool.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Indeed, that was a very cool gesture. Yes, I too love this forum!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by ttsail View Post
    Outstanding. PM inbound. Once again, this forum comes through.

And as for Tandy, I had already checked and they told me they sell by the sq ft, but you have to buy the whole hide

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Tim Thurner (ttsail) at TT is an outstanding guy who makes outstanding holsters!!
    He has done me right and then some on every holster I have ever had him make.

Roger/Sportsterguy
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Leather

You can also pick up a single shoulder, but pick it out yourself. Some just send you whatever... I occasionally pick some up for personal rigs or family/friend rigs. I have purchased a few that were nicer than alot of the A++ sides I have received. (Basically, less waste; more useable leather.)
    If you read some info from Holsters for Handguns, Firearms and Concealment at holsters.org, it explains alot about the different parts of the cow's hide.

I am sure the leather Tim will send will be great!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    That is a class act right there. That is one of the reasons this is my favorite forum...everybody tries to take care of each other. Very Cool.
    I agree, Thats the way it should be
    and it also helps when comes time to decide on who to place an order with.
    We take care of our own.
    I Like it
    Last edited by Craiger; February 25th, 2009 at 01:05 AM.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

I just had to post back on this thread after receiving the package from Tim @ TT Gun Leather.

I was amazed at the box when I got it and I can't thank Tim enough for his generosity. Just proves once again at how much we look after our own.

Please keep Tim in mind if you are looking for a new holster, because if his work is anywhere near his generosity, I am quite sure you will be pleased. (And his work looks incredible IMHO)

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

Administrator

Thumbs up

That was super decent of him to do that.
    And yes, you are correct that he is producing some incredibly fine holsters.
    He has got some beautiful holster PICS in his gallery. http://www.ttgunleather.com/id68.html
    Folks should take a look.
    It's worth the time spent to check out his fine craftsmanship.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links