Fact Check needed; black leather...

This is a discussion on Fact Check needed; black leather... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need a fact check guys. Was told today but a holster maker that black isn't a good idea for IWB because sweat penetrates the leather ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fact Check needed; black leather...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Fact Check needed; black leather...

Need a fact check guys. Was told today but a holster maker that black isn't a good idea for IWB because sweat penetrates the leather and will begin to cause deterioration in it after a while. They also mentioned that the sweat can cause the black dye to stain clothing. For this particular get'up I'm planning, I'd been thinking of of a black rig, so what do you think, does this sound right? Any of you having problems with black leather holsters worn IWB? They also said that a plain oil finish protects the leather from sweat.

If I end up getting this SA Micro, I'd probably try to get the dark version that's done up in Army Kote and I just think it would look sharp in black leather.

Thanks
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

I've heard that yes they will bleed but ive never bought a black holster. But if its made right i wouldn't imagine it would

Kevin or Gary or Eric should be able to answer this for ya they make the holsters.

I am not an expert nor a holster maker but I don't believe that. I've enjoyed fine leather sheaths that carry IWB for years before I was even old enough to have CCW interests and I inevitably order them in black. I've never experienced such a problem.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    I would guess with someone who did not know how to process the coloring of the leather you could have problems.

I have never heard or read of this type of problem from any of the major leather craftmen. Like Milt Sparks... Gary Brommeland... Rafter "S" This is just a few of the ones I have seen.

I've got a Del Fatti IWB, black. I wear a cotton t-shirt between the holster and my skin. I have not noted any deterioration of the holster nor any dye problems.

SSKC

In the ten-plus years I have been making holsters I have never had a complaint of dye bleed-off in any color. If this were a problem with black holsters wouldn't it also be a problem with the edges of black belts? When I first started making holsters, my In-Cognito was my only IWB that I offered and I only made it with the light buff-colored suede backing that I now offer as an option on the Deluxe version of this holster. Reason being I was new to this and testing the waters so to speak, and was concerned about dye-bleed off until I had experimented some myself. If quality dyes and finishing techniques are used, this should not be an issue regardless of color. None of us would be in business very long if we were having to buy customers new shirts, Levi's, and Dockers with every order.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Hi Guys!
    IF a good quality dye is used, AND the holster is dyed and finished properly, you should not ever experience any bleed.

Administrator

Addition

I know some amateur leathercrafters would have trouble getting a deep, rich, black finish on leather & they would sometimes do a final finish of BLACK shoe polish & that will bleed and for sure rub off.
    I have never heard of it happening with modern professionally crafted holsters.
    I know (years ago) some Safariland black holsters WOULD bleed & fade a bit after they got wet & the highlights on their basket weave pattern would get lighter. Just FYI
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Gary knows the answer to this far better than the rest of us. Improperly dyed leather will stain clothing. Buy quality and this won't be an issue.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Thanks for the input. I'm a bit puzzled though becasue this came from a source that I believe is a high end holster maker known to many on this board. I don't want to bad mouth anyone though so I'll let it go at that and maybe talk to them again.

Thanks all

Gideon

I've had a few black rigs and so far none of them have bled out. I think the key is to buy from an experienced leather craftsman. If black dye were such a problem Gary Brommeland would've been strung up somewhere long ago ... it's the only color he chooses to work with. That should tell you something about it's durability when it's done correctly.
    Jack

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Gary and Mark nailed it...............

Look at it this way...dye is dye. Color has nothing or very little to do with it. We all use similar finishing techniques and have similar results. I havent had a holster bleed off in years.

Different dyes may be used in the process of finding one that we like...admittedly, some are better than others. But the process usually takes care of any problems you will encounter before they can happen.

Shoot well
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I spoke to somebody in Sam Andrews shop yesterday on a nearly identical issue. Asked him about an IWB holster in CORDAVAN rather than balck and he made a similar comment that being a DYE if it gets sweaty it might bleed thru. But there was never a mention of leather breakdown which I think is a non-issue. Personally I have only one IWB that is leather and it's a McDaniels II from Sam. http://www.andrewsleather.com All my other stuff that is IWB is always a Kydex from Blade-Tec. I find their IWBs to be the most comfortable. Blade-Tec offers the best retention and the smoothest draw. IMHO.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Leather

If there are any problems with any holster that has been made by any holster maker that is a member of this forum then contact him through Private Mail or E~Mail & have the issue resolved.

Leather is a variable product (it was once a living thing) ~ leather tanning processes vary ~ it IS (of course) always possible that a particular leather hide would not accept dye properly perhaps due to an idiosyncratic problem at the tannery that the maker/end user would have absolutely no control over. It is also possible that there could have been a problem with a particular dye lot.
    Our CombatCarry.com holster makers use the FINEST QUALITY hides available in the U.S. ~ I know that for a sure fact.

It is also always possible for there to be a problem with the leather or dye that would not show up until the rig was actually worn or in use.

ATTENTION: Do not make a private problem with any individual holster PUBLIC on the forum UNTIL you have given that maker a fair chance to rectify the problem and make it right.
    That is only fair. Our holster makers are great people...if they were not...they would be gone off the forum by now.
    The MOST that any holster maker on this forum can do is is "right a wrong" with a holster.

If...you don't allow them the opportunity to examine the holster FIRST & correct the problem ~ then any post that bad mouths a forum holster maker will be deleted.
    That is also a fair policy.
    If your friend is having a problem with his holster bleeding dye then tell him not to sit at home and get upset about it. Tell him to contact the maker.
    Leather holster makers are some of the greatest people in the world. You will get a "fair shake" if the problem is legitimate and not due to user abuse.

QKShooter made a good point - leather is inconsistant as can be, and we are all human. Mistakes certainly can be made by anyone (myself included) and giving the guy who made it a chance to make things right is only fair.
    We discontinued our Cordovan option (it was a beautiful burgundy red color) because we did have some bleed with it, and no matter what I did, I could not prevent it. I used the same brand dye as our Black, but got WAY different results from it.
    We're in the final testing stages with a med brown color, but will not release it until I am absolutely sure about the bleed issue. The bottom line is that leather is a b**ch to work with, because of all the variables involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links