Printing - How much is OK?

This is a discussion on Printing - How much is OK? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am I going to have to get used to the fact that there will be times when my gun prints? It seems that no matter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing - How much is OK?

Printing - How much is OK?

Am I going to have to get used to the fact that there will be times when my gun prints? It seems that no matter what I use for a holster, there are times (e.g. bending over to tie a shoe) when I print.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

2. Remove Ads

I believe that you will have to get accustomed to the fact that you will sometimes print. I also believe that there are many things that you can do to greatly reduce the frequency. Using your example of shoe tying, I'd kneel or raise my foot to a slightly elevated position (seat of a chair for example) to help reduce bend and therefore the "print".
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    People don't notice. Once, my fiance and I had a conversation with a girl open carrying and my fiance never saw the revolver on the girls hip.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I also think that most people don't notice the printing. There are so many people walking around these days with cell phones on their belts that cause a bulge that people are used to it and don't really pay attention.

When I notice someone carrying, it's usually because they are pulling on their cover garment to make sure their weapon can't be seen or pulling up their pants because of the weight of their firearm.
    NRA life member.

Looking for a weapon print is not even on the sheep's radar, don't worry about it unless you're wearing spand-x.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I'm waiting to get asked, "what's that?" and tell them it's the hard case for my colostomy bag and then just keep on going. No doubt it would stop most people from asking further questions. My luck, the person would be familiar with the proceedure and raise the BS flag.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Legally OK or real world OK?
    It happens. Most folks wont notice.
    Here in Texas they define concealed (OC is prohibited here) as the weapon not being identifiable by casual observation. So I can have a bump under my shirt and that is OK. Having a bump that looks like a pistol could be a problem.

And Tinkerin, I carry my colostomy bag in a black leather fanny pack!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I'm waiting to get asked, "what's that?" and tell them it's the hard case for my colostomy bag and then just keep on going. No doubt it would stop most people from asking further questions. My luck, the person would be familiar with the proceedure and raise the BS flag.
    I think the correct answer would be:

"It's an adrenalin pump"

LOL

Seriously, people dont notice.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

There is no reason 'to print'...plan ahead.

It shouldn't be a big deal, but if you're not careful, you may run into the only cop in the state who dislikes CCW'ers.

Stay armed...conceal carefully...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can see the pump printing but the handguns

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    I think the correct answer would be:

"It's an adrenalin pump"

LOL

Seriously, people dont notice.
    That would work for me and it is completely true
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

I think the most pertinent question is how much printing are YOU comfortable with. The fact that you are asking questions suggests that you are searching for agreement or consensus on how much is acceptable from the community. I don't think there is such a consensus to be had. I would contest that the only important factor is are you comfortable w/ occasionally printing?

I would tend to agree with Retsupp99 and to a certain extent Martial Archer. There is no reason to print IF you plan ahead. Wardrobe changes and different methodology of actions are needed to be effective for most people. We've all made a choice to carry for a myriad number of reasons, but it's not like most people can continue wearing whatever they want and conceal effectively. I haven't had to change my wardrobe much to carry concealed, but I never wore a lot of shorts or tight t-shirts, there are definitely clothes that I have that are less effective for concealed carry, so I don't wear those as often. As addressed earlier, kneeling to tie one's shoes drastically reduced printing.

Keep in mind that the standard of "concealed" does vary from state to state, some people have more to worry about than others.

I also tend not to buy into the logic that you don't have to worry about it b/c the sheeple don't notice. Sheeple as a generalization won't notice, but if you're blatantly printing you would have to be asleep or a moron to not notice. The point I would make though is that IT'S NOT THE SHEEPLE YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT, IT'S THE WOLVES!!! I for one don't want to be noticed and targeted because it's obvious that I'm a threat to the person who is up to no good.

Just be comfortable w/ your own level. If you are okay w/ the occasional print, roll with it. You'll be more comfortable in general and less likely to fidget and make it obvious to everyone who might have a vested interest either good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    Am I going to have to get used to the fact that there will be times when my gun prints? It seems that no matter what I use for a holster, there are times (e.g. bending over to tie a shoe) when I print.
    The goal is: No Printing

With that said, sometimes it happens, but you can do things to minimize the number of times it happens.

Using a good quality Holster and Belt will help. So will learning to "dress around the gun". You may have to make some clothing changes/alterations now that you are carrying a concealed weapon.

As far as the bending over part, don't do that. It's harder on your back and it's so much easier to tell you have a gun. You should bend down at the knees. I always squat, it's easier on my back.

I was at a party with about thirty people. All of these people know how to spot a gun, as they were all feds. I was wearing my trusty rusty 4" N-Frame Revolver in a Matt Del Fatti OWB Holster with just a one size too large Polo Shirt over it. If you think I got "made" you would be wrong. BTW, I did "telegraph" once. My wife spotted it when I squatted down to pick a drink up off the floor. She said it was "just a little ripple in your shirt".

After the party I talked with some people that were there. None of them had any idea I was carrying a gun and were even more amazed at what I was carrying. There are things you can do to minimize the "printing". Some of us have been doing them so long that it's become ingrained in to our behavior and we don't even think about it anymore.

NO PRINTING

Biker

That's how I should've worded it:

Originally posted by Biker RN
    The goal is: No Printing

With that said, sometimes it happens, but you can do things to minimize the number of times it happens.
    Right on Biker, words to live by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links