Advice on holster choice

Advice on holster choice

This is a discussion on Advice on holster choice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just traded for a Glock 19, now I just need to get a couple of nice holsters. Here's what I am looking at currently: D.M. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice on holster choice

Just traded for a Glock 19, now I just need to get a couple of nice holsters.

Here's what I am looking at currently:

D.M. Bullards Dual Carry

Sideguard's Double Loop or Double Clip

AKJ Concealco IWB

D.M. Bullard says he can have it out in 10 days, Conclealco is a couple weeks out for their expedited line, I don't know about Sideguard at this point (I have an email in to him).

Any recommendations?

I just ordered a custom leather OWB/IWB from Dave at Little Bear Holsters. His lead time is 14-21 days and from the looks of his pictures, it is nice work. I won't have my hands on my G19 Holster for a couple of weeks, but I am sure others can vouch for Dave's work.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I can vouch for D.M. Bullard on quality and quick shipping. Planning to buy more of his stuff. You might want to take a look at some sponsors here too. Lots of decent choices with pretty good turn around. Pure Kustom has some great looking leather (haven't got any yet, but I'll be ordering some soon!).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Holsters are a very individual thing. We can tell you that we like x or y but then you might buy it and hate the thing. Now there are some names that come up routinely that are liked by many but even those people have customers that just can't make their product work. It's a unique combination of personal preference, physical build, weapon, clothing, work, etc. That's why we all seem to end up with a collection sooner or later.

Having said all that my choices any more, for me, are running to K&D and Andrews Leather although I keep trying to convince myself to get a Sparks Axiom on order.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Holsters are a very individual thing. We can tell you that we like x or y but then you might buy it and hate the thing. Now there are some names that come up routinely that are liked by many but even those people have customers that just can't make their product work. It's a unique combination of personal preference, physical build, weapon, clothing, work, etc. That's why we all seem to end up with a collection sooner or later.

Having said all that my choices any more, for me, are running to K&D and Andrews Leather although I keep trying to convince myself to get a Sparks Axiom on order.
    I agree, except my favorites are Nossar, Brommeland, and Sparks.

I recently received an Axiom. You might as well order it now, as you won't get it sooner if you order later.

Regards,
    Jerry

Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

I really like the Galco summer comfort IWB holster. I also have a few belt holsters from Safariland and those are great quality as well. I carry a G27 most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jensen47770 View Post
    I just ordered a custom leather OWB/IWB from Dave at Little Bear Holsters. His lead time is 14-21 days and from the looks of his pictures, it is nice work. I won't have my hands on my G19 Holster for a couple of weeks, but I am sure others can vouch for Dave's work.
    +1 on little Bear Holsters! I visited Dave at his shop today, and he does great work at a great price. Good guy too...Dave and George
    are straight up guys. I ordered my holster,belt, mag holder and holder for my Surefire today!

Jim
    HK45C

Side Guard will likely be 4-6 weeks unless he has it already made. I could be wrong though. Either way The Side Guard stuff is worth the wait.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Can't speak for others but I sure do love my SideGuard Double Snap.

Quote Originally Posted by jensen47770 View Post
    Dave's stuff is great. Sure people say that this or that is better, but you know what...? Every great manufacturer started small and with short lead times I will go with Dave first if he can make what I need/want. Also, his prices are very reasonable compared to some. Maybe you get what you pay for, but I think you get more than you pay for from Little Bear. I have one of his holsters for a 1911 and one order in to him for my G19.

When I get the holster for my G19 which will be saddle Tan with Black shark trim and matching mag holder, I will post some pictures up (of course after I give it a proper inspection and check). One thing I learned about Dave is he stands by his work and if you're not happy he will make it right. Recently I had a holster and mag pouch, same as mentioned above, sent to me with a slight problem with the dye. It didn't take well to the leather. It wasn't his fault, the dye just was no good and he had to trash it. To make a long story short I called him up and explained what happened and asked him what he would like me to do. He was extremely upset, and I could tell that he wanted to make me happy and in the end, he did. That's all you can ask for in a company/owner. That they care about your satisfaction.

Anyhow, I should have the G19 holster in a couple weeks or so. I'll post up some pictures for you to view and see if it's something you'd be interested in yourself.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

As has been said, holsters are a very individual thing. There is no "Best holster." That said, a few observations: I like Kydex for IWB and leather for OWB. Get a good belt designed for carry; in many ways this is more important than the holster. I don't like "One size fits many," holsters, and most dual position holsters to me seem like most compromises, not quite right in any position. I would recommend a proven design by a maker who has been in business for a while. I like sweat shields, (AKA flab tabs). Expect to end up with a box of holsters that looked promising but didn't quite work out for you. Pick an area of your body and try to concentrate your carry options there. If you carry all over, (Ankle, shoulder, crossdraw, etc.), you may have to spend a split second remembering what holster you wore that day...

My preference is Blade tech for IWB, esp. the Nano. I don't really have a favorite for OWB at the moment, though I do have a Tucker on order I can't wait to get.

Wow, no one has recommended an MTAC or a Crossbreed yet? I love my MTAC for my Glock 19, can't even tell it's there most of the time. +1 on a good gun belt, I had issues with sagging before I bought my Beltman.

I just bought an XD gear OWB holster that I love. It's small and my S&W fits pretty well in it considering it's made for a different model weapon

Thanks guys.

To answer a few questions/comments:

I have been carrying for about 6 years, with a XD9c in a C-Tac, which I recently sold , and a Bersa .380 in a shirt tucker. While I liked the kydex holsters, I am not fond of the company, and I want something a bit more comfortable.

In the end, with a bit of research, I decided to go with a DM Bullard, so I will see how it ends up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links