Shrink a Mag pouch?

Shrink a Mag pouch?

This is a discussion on Shrink a Mag pouch? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have this Alessi (RIP Lou) .45 single mag pouch that does not hold the magazine in firmly. It is a new pouch. I bought ...

Shrink a Mag pouch?

I have this Alessi (RIP Lou) .45 single mag pouch that does not hold the magazine in firmly. It is a new pouch. I bought it and planned to carry it with my EDC sometimes in memory of Lou.

But it does not hold the magazine in tight as I would like for it too. If you turn it over the magazine drops out easily and I would prefer it held it firmly as I am afraid it might not retain it well as it stands.

So I need to shrink it a tad. Since I have a SS magazine I could use it to form it if I was to wet the inside with water.

But what would any of you suggest? Water? And then placement of the magazine to retain form?

Administrator
    "If you turn it over the magazine drops out easily"

Yep, that is too loose.

You could try soaking in really hot water and then hitting it with a hot hair blow dryer for a while. Handle it carefully.
    Then let it dry naturally WITHOUT a magazine inserted.
    That is the normal way to shrink vegetable tanned leather.

Or you could buy a tube of BARGE contact cement (search Ebay) and use that to cement a strip of leather inside - you'll need to bevel it at the top so that your mag does not catch on it when you're inserting it. That will tighten it up also.
    They use Barge contact cement to cement soles onto shoes. It holds like crazy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Will do. Thanks QK.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    I would get it wet and let it air dry. Force drying can damage the leather. Especially with heat close to 140 degrees.

Let it completely dry before you put the magazine back in.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I have this Alessi (RIP Lou) .45 single mag pouch that does not hold the magazine in firmly. It is a new pouch. I bought it and planned to carry it with my EDC sometimes in memory of Lou.

But it does not hold the magazine in tight as I would like for it too. If you turn it over the magazine drops out easily and I would prefer it held it firmly as I am afraid it might not retain it well as it stands.

So I need to shrink it a tad. Since I have a SS magazine I could use it to form it if I was to wet the inside with water.

But what would any of you suggest? Water? And then placement of the magazine to retain form?
    I buy my mag holders off the shelf at my local supplyer of Gould Goodrich Products,I have a black and a brown one for Single stack 45 acp mags,and ,same for double stacked,40 cal.,an double stacked 9mm, will fit same mag holder,so I have black and Brown holsters,I have a mag holder for that cal,and color,they are $27.95 each.You can get clip on or belt loop on back. The thing that makes these great is that they all have a renention screw on the mag holder you can adjust to how tight you want the mags to hold,and they come with a extra screw and a bigger washer if neeeded, for even more adjustment if needed,they work great.I love the clip on myself, but its not like the rest of them the metal clip,its more of a stubbled rubber,that wont hut your belt or fingers,or acratch anththing it touches,they are really nice,I use a BK/BR for my 2, 45acp single stacked mags,and 2 for my double stacked 9mm,and 40 cal. They work great,ill post pics next.Just mix and match like your wife does with her shoes to match her purse.

Those things are THICK!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    I would get it wet and let it air dry. Force drying can damage the leather. Especially with heat close to 140 degrees.

Let it completely dry before you put the magazine back in.
    Will do.

I think I might put a light spring clamp on it to sort of mash it in so it dries a bit more pinched through the middle too. This should hold it better if it has a bit more narrowness to its middle.

Administrator
    Agree w/ Pure Kustom
    If you warm it up - don't cook it.

I think I might put a light spring clamp on it to sort of mash it in so it dries a bit more pinched through the middle too. This should hold it better if it has a bit more narrowness to its middle.

That should help also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have been known to put a strip of moleskin down in a mag pouch to tighten it up. That way, it was easy to adjust how much, and I could pick exactly where I needed it to tighten.
    Obviously, I am not a threat to the holster makers out there....
    What Would Gumby Do?

Links