IDPA holsters?

IDPA holsters?

This is a discussion on IDPA holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never tried any IDPA but have been giving it some thought. My choices for a gun are probably not that great but it's what ...

Thread: IDPA holsters?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

IDPA holsters?

I've never tried any IDPA but have been giving it some thought. My choices for a gun are probably not that great but it's what I have now:
    -Kahr PM9
    -Glock G29SF

I was thinking about picking up a G19/34 or CZ 75B but before I start getting into this, what's a good holster to use? I guess while I'm at it, what about a mag holster also? Should I lean towards kydex for quicker draw/reholstering? I already have an assortment of IWB and pocket holsters which I'm assuming aren't good.

Thanks for any input.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    My opinion on this is that if you are joining IDPA. for sharpening your shooting skills. Try to get a holster that you can use in the real world. CCW type holsters or open carry holsters that if you do carry would be the same that you would use in competition.

I don't think you can use a IWB holster.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    You can use any IWB in IDPA. OWB holsters have restrictions, like how far away from the belt they can be, how much of the gun they cover, etc. I would shoot with your regular carry rig. IDPA shoots from concealment.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by arby238 View Post
    I don't think you can use a IWB holster.
    yes you can.
    the stipulation is that you must have it located behind the 90 degree mark of your hip.
    Inside, outside eather way. If it is an outside the wastband, then there can not be a gap between the holster and you. It MUST be a consealed setup. a speed holster is not legal.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I agree with Pure Kustom. I shoot IDPA and I have an IWB Comp-Tac Minataur holster. Go with your normal concealed carry rig. Get some practice and see what it is about. You don't need anything special. You just cannot have anything that points backward toward the other shooters or that you sweep yourself with when deploying or re-holstering.

Here is a link to the PDF IDPA rulebook.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies everyone,

I already have a MTAC with bodies for both the G29SF and PM9. It's not the holster that I use the most but maybe this would be my best option. My other IWB options outside of the MTAC are:
    PM9: VMII, Dakota Defender and Split Decision
    G29SF: Split Decision

I'm not looking to break any records but just to have fun and get some good practice. The PM9 is my EDC so maybe I'll start there.

Thanks again.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    You will have a blast, I just stared doing IDPA. I did my 3rd match yesterday (Saturday), I have been using an OWB holster as do most of the people at the matches I have been to.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I realize the PM9 is your EDC I think you will have a a better time shooting the Glock based on the magazine capacity. You can have up to 10 rounds in each magazine and carry a total of 3 magazines.

while you can certainly shoot IDPA from an IWB holster and if that is what you use on a daily basis more power to you.
    The vast majority of IDPA shooters use a belt holster usually Kydex.

Mike

Links