? about UGB canute

? about UGB canute

This is a discussion on ? about UGB canute within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to order a canute for sig 230. I want to be able to draw and reholster one handed. Is that what the extra charge ...

Thread: ? about UGB canute

? about UGB canute

Going to order a canute for sig 230. I want to be able to draw and reholster one handed. Is that what the extra charge for reinforcement is for? What is the reinforcement?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Many holster makers will have an added charge for reinforcing the mouth of the holster for easy reholstering. Some will add an extra layer of leather to the mouth or may add a spring steel band that aids in keeping the mouth open. I've seen Nate's work and he does a good job.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Anybody have one without reinforcement and how do you like it? Thank's guys

VIP Member
    I have 4 UGB holsters, you really don't need to have a reinforced version. It stays open just fine.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    My first UBG Canute was for my XD40. It was not reinforced, and I wear my belt so tight that I did have issues on occasion when reholstering one-handed. When I ordered my Canute for my XDM, I got it with reinforcement - and as far as I'm concerned, it was well worth it. If you don't have anything to keep your belt up (i.e. you suffer from Hank Hill syndrome, diminished glutes) and have to really crank down on it, get the reinforcement.

Another question, for IWB is Snap on loops like the canute or clips like the striker better and why. Sorry for the ignorance but this will be 1st carry.

I ordered a canute as well from Nate and I am getting the reinforced mouth, for the extra money it's worth not having a custom made holster and not being able to re-holster my gun. I have heard too many good things about UBG to not take the advise that if you are going to wear it at all with the gun out you need the reinforcement to keep it from collapsing or ruining a good holster. Even if the gun is out for a short time it can get compressed enough to damage it if the belt or pants are tight enough.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I've got several Canutes, which I bought before he even offered reinforcement, and I was very satisfied with them until I got some IWB holsters with reinforcement. Now I realize that the reinforced mouth is a must have for me because I wear my belt tight. For me, it has made a drastic improvement in reholstering the gun easilty.

I don't trust clips and have always used leather loops, either with snaps or solid. I've seen too many clip holsters come out with the gun when drawing. On the other hand, with a double clip set up like the Striker it's probably a lot less likely, and many users report good results with the Striker and similar dual clip models. But I'll stick with loops.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    I too have a "Canute" on order with the reinforced mouth... I was billed a week ago so I hope that means it coming soon!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Ordered mine today with reinforcement, now for the agonizing wait. Thank's for the help deciding.

Sponsored Links