SmartCarry Question

This is a discussion on SmartCarry Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I've seen the answer to this before, but there are hundreds results for a smartcarry search. The grip of my Glock 19 is ...

Thread: SmartCarry Question

SmartCarry Question

I know I've seen the answer to this before, but there are hundreds results for a smartcarry search. The grip of my Glock 19 is rubbing a hole in my jeans where it rubs, how do I stop this?

2. Remove Ads

I've never had that problem, but I presume that you can reinforce the inside of the jeans by placing a piece of denim or other strong fabric on the area where the grip rubs the jeans.

Another suggestion is to carry your gun a little lower, if you can. Good luck.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Oh man, could I get banned for what I'm thinking!!!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    You could try to reposition, soften any sharp edges that rub, try a larger size jeans, or ask Charlie of Smartcarry. He carries a 5" 1911 and will have all the answers.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    ...I presume that you can reinforce the inside of the jeans by placing a piece of denim or other strong fabric on the area where the grip rubs the jeans.

Another suggestion is to carry your gun a little lower, if you can. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    You could try to reposition, soften any sharp edges that rub, try a larger size jeans
    All good answers.

As far as reinforcing your pants, iron-on patches placed on the inside can help. I even used duct tape once when I was in a rush and found the grip of my gun was printing badly (thin dress pants that were too tight).

There is another option that may help. I'm assuming the grip is wearing a hole in your jeans between the zipper and the front pocket on your strong side. When I first started wearing the SmartCarry, I wore pants that weren't as loose as what I wear now. What helped with reducing the grip presentation and wear was to position the gun where the grip bump was closer to the zipper line, rather than toward my dominant hand side. This can be done in at least 3 ways:

• Reposition the SmartCarry away from your dominant hand a few inches (I've never tried this, so I don't know if the SC would stay in that position).
    • Use a non-dominant-hand SmartCarry (an expensive option if it doesn't work, unless you return it).
    • Use a dual-holster SC and insert the gun in the holster farthest from your dominant hand, grip still positioned as normal. I have used this method and it helped.

The SC isn't for everyone, and probably a dual-holster SC won't be comfortable for all SC users, either. However, I wear a dual-holster one every day with 2 guns, and it only feels wrong when I don't have it on.

One last thing: I prefer larger holsters since it's my opinion they hold the grip in toward the body slightly better. For example, Charlie (the SC owner) recommended a medium holster for my XD-45c, but I purchased the large since I was at the time considering a larger gun. The large SC works great. It even holds my BUG, an SP-101, just fine. Yes, it swallows the gun, but not the grip. Presentation is still possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Oh man, could I get banned for what I'm thinking!!!
    I have a smartcarry and a G23. It can be done but it's pushin it. In my opinion the G23/19 is just too long and heavy, but the smart carry would be excellent for a smaller BUG/NPE carry. I'm 6'2" 225# so I'm not a little dude. Even though the gun doesn't show (it tends to hang a bit low) when standing, when sitting it sometimes looks like I'm packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I have a smartcarry and a G23. It can be done but it's pushin it. In my opinion the G23/19 is just too long and heavy, but the smart carry would be excellent for a smaller BUG/NPE carry. I'm 6'2" 225# so I'm not a little dude. Even though the gun doesn't show (it tends to hang a bit low) when standing, when sitting it sometimes looks like I'm packing.
    No joke, the wife thinks I look better in tighter fitting, straight cut, Levis instead of the carpenters I used to wear. The barrel of the Glock 19 certainly doesn't leave much to the imagination sometimes.

Grady is right. Iron on patches is the way to go.

I carry a G26 in my SmartCarry. Even my wife can't tell.

I don't have a G19 but I do have some G19 mags. I'll stick one in and give it a whirl.

Use iron-on twill on to match the pants, place it on the side of the wear (generally the right side). You can find it at any crafts store. Another option is to convert to the next larger size holster. I also sewed on a piece of leather to make a shroud cover for the hammer. I've given serious thought to a hammerless such as the SR9 or a Glock, but with the current gun prices and the economy, I can't do it!
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    You would be surprised what you can conceal in an area of the body where polite society seldom looks. Also, as the SmartCarry wears in, it begins to fold between the pistol and the spare magazine, thus making the grip less predominant in poking through my pants.

EDC: M&P 45fs with Procyon Light plus 14-round spare magazine plus some last ditch stuff in the pocket.

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I tried putting a G19 mag in my 26 and wearing it around. If I were to do this all the time I would have to put the iron on patches on my jeans. The G26 grip definately pushes out much less. I'm not sure this is because of the holster/ gun setup but it may be from my not so slim anymore body type.

This subject brings up a question I have been considering lately. I have found a "generic" version of a "SmartCarry" bellyband holster for my Glock 26.

Is is worth it to buy the real "SmartCarry" or buy the "generic" version of the bellyband holster.

I have a sense from reading these replies that I will most likely go with the genuine "bellyband" holster. I don't want to buy some cheap imitation when I can spend the right money for a quality SmartCarry holster.

The one thing I've learned so far is that you get what you pay for in the end. I have one of each for IWB/OWB carry. Each of these holsters are very comfortable. I don't regret spending money on a quality holster. It is money well spent!
    Last edited by Pikachu711; March 29th, 2009 at 09:27 AM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    This subject brings up a question I have been considering lately. I have found a "generic" version of a "SmartCarry" bellyband holster for my Glock 26.

Is is worth it to buy the real "SmartCarry" or buy the "generic" version of the bellyband holster.

I have a sense from reading these replies that I will most likely go with the genuine "bellyband" holster. I don't want to buy some cheap imitation when I can spend the right money for a quality SmartCarry holster.
    I'm not sure I fully understand your post. Are you using the terms "bellyband" and "SmartCarry" interchangeably? They are quite different. If I misunderstood your post, just ignore this, but here are some websites for both:

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

A couple bellybands:

Galco Belly Band Holster
    Belly Band Holster

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    The one thing I've learned so far is that you get what you pay for in the end. I have one of each for IWB/OWB carry. Each of these holsters are very comfortable. I don't regret spending money on a quality holster. It is money well spent!
    Agreed.

Links