Has anyone tried this?

This is a discussion on Has anyone tried this? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've gotten the ball rolling towards getting my HCP, in TN it's not a CCW, however I do plan on keeping it concealed. Anyway, I've ...

Thread: Has anyone tried this?

Has anyone tried this?

I've gotten the ball rolling towards getting my HCP, in TN it's not a CCW, however I do plan on keeping it concealed. Anyway, I've been considering the many different holster/ carrying options, IWB, OWB, Shoulder etc. My strong side is my right side and one option that I am considering but have not heard too much about is using a LH IWB holster just inside of my right hip (between rt. hip and rt. side). That would seem, at least "on paper", to be a pretty comfortable as well as very concealed postion of carry. Has anyone explored this option? If so, I'd appreciate some input. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure I understand you correctly but what you describe would seem to me to be a butt forward carry on the right hand side of a right handed person. Wouldn't that involve a complicated movement in order to draw the gun? Butt forward is how a crossdraw is carried and in my experience is difficult to conceal.

Right hip and right side?

Are you saying between 4'clock and 3'clock?

If I understand what you're saying, you're talking about a "palm out" IWB carry. You would use a LH holster to reverse the direction the gun butt is pointing, so that when you draw you have to put your hand between the gun and your body and your palm is facing out away from your body.

I've seen a lot of old timers carrying that way, as well as casual or new users, but you won't see much mention of it on the forums or with experienced users because it's against the official "rules" of correct safe usage. Unless you practice your draw and train yourself extensively, it's very likely that you would sweep yourself when drawing the gun, particularly when in a hurry or excited. This makes it a no-no to most people, but like I said I've seen lots of guys carry this way without giving it any thought. There's lots of practices, like SOB carry, that many consider improper or unsafe yet others like just fine.

If this is not what you're talking about, then sorry I can't help you.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

yes you are understanding what I'm talking about. It just seems to me that there is a point when "reaching back" along your strong side in this case, my right side, that "butt fwd" seems that it would feel more comfortable to me. I would like to use SOB holster however. I am not a "skinny" man and reaching back to SOB requires more effort than I feel comfortable in exercising, especially in an emergency. So, I'm considering this other idea.

Unless you practice your draw and train yourself extensively, it's very likely that you would sweep yourself when drawing the gun, particularly when in a hurry or excited.
    That is a very good point.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnonry View Post
    Unless you practice your draw and train yourself extensively, it's very likely that you would sweep yourself when drawing the gun, particularly when in a hurry or excited.
    That is a very good point.
    If you feel more comfortable with the cavalry (palm out) draw, give it a try. I don't nec. agree with the statement about "sweeping", though admittedly, I've not tried this draw other than SOB (7:30ish, myself being a lefty). For my use SOB, sweeping is a non issue, with a quick, smooth, natural feeling draw that maintains proper muzzle discipline.

I'd imagine your described method of carry would have similar mechanics and would require only slightly more of a bend at the elbow at the top of the arc to be just as safe. A bit of practice should develop muscle memory of the correct draw to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Here is a link to my post describing the draw sequence in SOB carry... click here.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Links