Question for EMT's or Doctors/Nurses - Page 3

Question for EMT's or Doctors/Nurses

This is a discussion on Question for EMT's or Doctors/Nurses within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; P95, Good link to the collision. It reminds all us on 2 wheels of what can happen. I believe it was a gal who was ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question for EMT's or Doctors/Nurses

some last comments

P95, Good link to the collision. It reminds all us on 2 wheels of what can happen. I believe it was a gal who was on the bike, and quite an accomplished rider. The original link w/ comments from the gal on the motorcycle. http://socalsportbikes.info/xmb/view...d=34948&page=1

SSKC / ExSoldier - there are predominantly 2 types of MC injuries that can be mitigated to an extent w/ safety gear. impact and abrasion.

abrasion - sliding on the pavement in an involuntarily dismount of the motorcycle. This is when the skin gets turned into hamburger as friction between asphalt and human skin slows and eventually stops the motion of the rider. Safety gear to combat abrasion includes - kevlar, leather and some man-made materials.

impact - when your body first contacts w/ something hard, e.g., pavement, other vehicle, part of your own MC. Safety gear to combat imact is some type of body armor and helmets for the ole brain bucket. For body armor, CE is a rating that has more cache in terms of testing and protective capabilities. The armor spreads the force over a larger area and minimizes damage to your person.

If you are worrying about your gun causing injury, I would say it would be impact injury and not abrasion injury. That is why I gave a web link to CE armor you could put between your body and the gun. And I have that armor. It is not bulky at all!! If you go the route to protect your body from your carry piece on a fall, please choose impact armor, and try to get a CE rated armor padding.

In all honesty, sliding down the asphalt, your gun/holster combo would be more than adequate to combat abrasion. At the very least, all your other abrasion riding gear would have given way long before a metal slide on a gun gave way.

ExSoldier - I'm going to be a little forward (apologies if I offend you) and say ... make your dream a reality. Get the bike, get some MSF training and safety gear, and ride the heck out of it. There are many deals on the 1500 goldwings (since the 1800 came out). If it really is a dream/longing of yours, just do it.

I'm not a doctor or in the medical field. I am a rider and a certified MSF instructor (rider coach) in the commonwealth of PA. I do think/plan/implement on things to manage risk.

Lastly, I am seriously itching to get my bike out. I'm having withdrawls. Can't wait until the salt is washed off the road.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    This is a great question and I agree there are probably no good answers. That being said, I feel I might contribute something here. I'm a nurse, I ride a cruiser style cycle almost daily, I carry at all times, and I was recently in a minor collision. If I'm going to work, I carry in a fanny pack at 10 o'clock. If I'm out for fun or other errands, I carry strong side in an IWB holster. The trunk of the body will take a bad hit usually only in a bad spill. Most damage is to arms, legs and of course, the head if unprotected. Therefore, I think normal waist carry or shoulder rig is as safe as anything.
    When I had my collision (I rear-ended a SUV that stopped short in front of me) fortunately I was just starting to accelerate and wasn't going fast. I pitched over the handlebars and smacked into the back of the SUV. Since I was going to work, I had the fanny pack on. It wasn't even close to being hit.
    As an interesting aside, when the police responded to the accident, two officers were at the site, I spoke at length to them and noone paid the slightest attention to the fanny pack.

Thumbs up GoldWing 1800's rule

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner
    ExSoldier - I'm going to be a little forward (apologies if I offend you) and say ... make your dream a reality. Get the bike, get some MSF training and safety gear, and ride the heck out of it. There are many deals on the 1500 goldwings (since the 1800 came out). If it really is a dream/longing of yours, just do it.

I'm not a doctor or in the medical field. I am a rider and a certified MSF instructor (rider coach) in the commonwealth of PA. I do think/plan/implement on things to manage risk.

Lastly, I am seriously itching to get my bike out. I'm having withdrawls. Can't wait until the salt is washed off the road.
    I'm not offended! I've got my safe rider certification and it's on my reg D/L too. I was #1 in my class. Although honestly, the written exam is very poorly written. Any professional educator (like myself) could figure out the answers by the wording of the question. Also, previous questions alluded answers to subsequent questions. But it would take an educator who routinely creates exams to dope it out.

My dream ride IS the GoldWing 1800 and it'll have to wait just a little while. There are other priorities....

Well, why don't you move to South Florida? We can ride 24/7/365 ... except during a hurricane.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

oldgunner and exsoldier - I'm getting real jealous now. Sitting with snow and salted roads.

ex - I just may have to move down. My sister-in-law lived in Hollywood, FL but moved north to Tampa. My wife would love to move next to her twin. It would probably be too far north of Miami area.

Have fun on your extended riding season

oldgunner and exsoldier - I'm getting real jealous now. Sitting with snow and salted roads.

ex - I just may have to move down. My sister-in-law lived in Hollywood, FL but moved north to Tampa. My wife would love to move next to her twin. It would probably be too far north of Miami area.

Nah on a 'Wing; Tampa is a day trip. Seriously. But you really want to stay away from Tampa for several reasons. It's got the highest racial tension of nearly any city its size in the entire south. Lots of conflict there. Also having SOCOM make it's HQ there is bad for picking terror targets. Special Operations Command. But worst of all...folks who live in Miami are called Miamians. But if you live in Tampa? TAMPONS.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    sojourner - Not to instill any jealousy - but got bike out yesterday and rode in to town - 64 !!

Freak temps I know.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    sojourner - Not to instill any jealousy - but got bike out yesterday and rode in to town - 64 !!

Freak temps I know.
    Talk about freak temps, It was about to hit 70* here yesterday at 12:30 and by 3:30 the temp droped more than 40* was raining and then hailed golf ball size head beaters for about 15 minutes and was like 22* degrees over night.

Me and the weather around here

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

It's official, I'm jealous of all of you out on the bikes and in good weather. Actually, I'm happy you could make it out. Just wish i could.

The cold weather doesn't bother me too much, it's the darn salt from the snow removal trucks.

ex - I didn't know Tampa was that bad. I've only been from the airport, to the sister-in-laws house to some restaurants. That's an eye opener.

OK, to keep this gun related - P95 how did you carry on your ride?

Assistant Administrator
    P95 how did you carry on your ride?
    I think I may have mentioned earlier in the thread - but my carry is unchanged - just the 3-3.30 OWB.

I have considered other options and may in fact this summer see how the SIG sits in my Bianchi X-15 - but overall I expect it'll stay same old usual!!

I am very aware of traumas possible - I have ridden probably equivalent of four times round world, and seen some wrecks and their results but - I try and ride very defensively, even more when Mrs P95 is on back - and so attempt to avoid trouble. I know it may find me but if a certain time and day have my name listed there'll not be much I can do about it.

Meantime, I want my carry to be where I expect it - on body so not gonna be forgotten and where my hand goes instinctively.
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar

There are other choices in the Bay Area besides Tampa. I rarely go to Tampa, I don't much like it. However, I'm in Pinellas County (Largo) and while it's getting crowded, the area is nice to live in. I ride daily.

But what about....

If you are planing on carrying in a shoulder rig and you are (like myself) a right handed shooter. Now while during everyday, non-riding use I would then cary strong side IWB or OWB. However, if you are on a bike then if in the VERY odd circumstance that you need to access you weapon while riding, do you not need to think about throttle control? Hell, even just going strong side in or out you would have to work around that. So would I not want to think about a shoulder rig (for comfort I have found) but set up for left handed cary? Thoughts.

Assistant Administrator
    Mr Clean - this handed aspect has crossed several minds but, I realize more I think on it - the odds of trying to retrieve, fire and stay safe while on the move, is so remote that I dismiss it!

My weak hand shooting will never match my strong hand - and contemplating anything useful while mobile does not make for a pretty picture

Much more likely both hands will be fully utilized in the control of the bike, either to accelerate the hell away from trouble - or stop fast as possible - then if needed, engaging a threat.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I realize more I think on it - the odds of trying to retrieve, fire and stay safe while on the move, is so remote that I dismiss it!
    My thoughts exactly. If I'm carrying concealed on a motorcycle, it's more for "when I get where I'm going" than for protection en route. If you're drawing with your right hand, you lose your throttle and front brake. If you draw with your left hand, you lose your clutch (sure, find neutral as you try to pull your weapon!). Not to mention clearing often heavy riding gear.

I'd say your best defense on a bike would be to ride defensively - which we should be doing already. Seems to me that the techniques taught for avoiding accidents on the road are also generally tactically sound - always leave room in front during stops, always leave yourself an escape route, scan the road/roadside far ahead, be aware of your surroundings, etc.
    Last edited by Kahrma; February 18th, 2006 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahrma
    My thoughts exactly. If I'm carrying concealed on a motorcycle, it's more for "when I get where I'm going" than for protection en route. If you're drawing with your right hand, you lose your throttle and front brake. If you draw with your left hand, you lose your clutch (sure, find neutral as you try to pull your weapon!). Not to mention clearing often heavy riding gear.

I'd say your best defense on a bike would be to ride defensively - which we should be doing already. Seems to me that the techniques taught for avoiding accidents on the road are also generally tactically sound - always leave room in front during stops, always leave yourself an escape route, scan the road/roadside far ahead, be aware of your surroundings, etc.
    +1. Ride defensively, GTHO of bad situations with both hands and then think of SD.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

The last few posts are what I had in mind when I initially asked my question. I prefer "on body" carry and was looking for a way to safely carry while riding so as to be properly equipped at my destination.

SSKC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links