Glock 19 options

Glock 19 options

This is a discussion on Glock 19 options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've settled on a glock 19 as my first gun. I like the size and feel a lot, it was pretty much love at ...

Thread: Glock 19 options

Glock 19 options

So I've settled on a glock 19 as my first gun. I like the size and feel a lot, it was pretty much love at first sight. Unfortunately with the sudden surge in gun sales, buying a glock has been all but impossible. So I've started to acquire my holsters first. I really like the blackhawk serpa holsters. Since the glock's safeties are not external, I want a holster that makes sure that the trigger guard is covered at all times.

Because of that I'm mostly limited to OWB holsters and shoulder holsters. (If I want the serpa style release) Recently my holster came in, and I tried it on, and I can't for the life of me figure out how I am going to conceal it. I don't know if I have the wrong clothing, though I do have some oversized jackets and sweatshirts, or if concealing a serpa holster is just unrealistic.

The serpa holster I have is the level 3 retention where there is a bail that holds the rear end of the slide in place. I don't think that it adds much length to the holster, though I think it may add signifigant thickness though I have not been able to compare it to a level 2 rig with a weapon in it yet.

I'm a fairly big guy 210 at 5'7" board shoulders and not carrying too much of a spare tire. But when i tried the shoulder holster on I get noticeable printing from the front and back, and I if I bend down, or twist it's really obvious that something isn't right. I also have a hard time adjusting the rig so that on a draw I'm not chasing it around my back. When I reach my strong side shoulder pulls the holster further around my back, which make it hard to reach. At a minimum it isn't a natural motion.

So, now I'm not sure what to try next. I'm open to new holsters, though I have a preference for something with a serpa like security. I'm also open to different clothing ideas, and tips on how to wear a shoulder holster as I really don't know how high or low on my body i is suppose to sit.

I plan to do a fair amount of walking with it in a city, and the last thing I need is for the gun to come loose or ride up cause I'm jogging across a cross walk or something.

Thanks in advance for the help. I know that this is probably a pretty common question, but most people are comfortable carrying a weapon in a holster that doesn't have any active retention features, so some of the more common recommendations aren't quiet what I'm looking for. Thanks for you time

Actually any quality holster you buy nowadays has the trigge covered. You are not stuck to OWB. The SERPA is not meant as a hideout holster. I carry my Glock 23, (same gun in .40) IWB in a HBE COMIII. Before it was a Don Hume PCCH. Search the MegaHolster LInk here and you will find much more what you are looking for. Defensive Carry Holster Links
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I conceal carry a G22 in a Gould and Goodrich OWB 3 slot pancake holster that covers the trigger, and pulls my sidearm tight to my side without endangering draw.

As jwhite stated SERPA's are not geared towards concealment, most of my LEO friends to include my brother all use the SERPA, but they OC with thier badge.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Any quality kydex or leather holster is going to be fine with respect to covering the trigger and having enough retention. You don't need a duty type holster, which isn't designed for concealed carry anyway.

Use a IWB/OWB holster designed from the start for concealed carry.

I currently am using a comp-tac CTAC for my G19 and I can conceal it with nothing more than a T-shirt. I also have holsters from side armor and Milt sparks and they all function fine with the only difference being different levels of how comfortable they are on me.

If I wanted to carry OWB I would use a basic leather pancake or a kydex belt/paddle holster but I would then need some type of cover garment. I use to carry OWB at times with a basic fleece vest cover garment which worked well but I personally prefer IWB.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I'd have a look at some quality IWB's. The CrossBreed Supertuck is one of the most popular, and (with the combat cut) is ideal for the 19 IMHO. Another I am planning to get for my 19 is the Raven Phantom which can be worn either IWB or OWB based on different attachments. Been reading great reviews of this holster.

If you like leather, the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 is one of the best IWB holsters in the world (I have them for my 1911's, not for the Glocks yet). And the Galco Miami Classic works great with the 19 for a shoulder holster.

All of the above and plenty more cover the trigger guard and are perfectly safe, provided you use proper caution in holstering (keep finger OUT of trigger guard, and insure nothing such as clothing snags trigger).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

This my carry yes it is a IWB it is from K&D holsters
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I also use a DeSantis when I carry OWB

I carry a Glock 19 in a D.M. Bullard IWB tuckable holster. The trigger is completly covered.

I guess i got nervous when i read a review where the reviewer said that he was wearing the holster at home, and ended up chasing his dog for some reason, and felt the gun start to move in the holster. Since I planned to be carrying in a city, reaching for the weapon for any reason other than its intended made me nervous. Are there holsters above that have particularly good retention?

Also, is there a way to conceal a serpa holster? or is it just too much? Are there types or cuts of clothing that are good for, or have been designed for concealed carry?

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    opalias,

I have carried in a Serpa holster, and concealed a pistol (USPc, slightly bigger than a Glock 19). However, I could only do it under heavy clothing, and even then, it printed fairly badly. If you were wearing a heavy jacket or something it might be doable, but forget carry during the summer months.

That being said, I'd recommend a leather pancake from one of the custom holster makers on the board. I have a Brommeland Def-Con V for my Glock 19, and it's rock solid stable. The gun never moves around at all. K&D seems to get fairly good reviews, and there are others listed on the site.

---Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I have a Agent 711 T.B. from Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods. OWB holster. works for me.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Check out the Blackhawk model from Pure Kustom. It allows IWB and OWB and does a great job at both.

Pure Kustom Holsters main page
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by opalias View Post
    I guess i got nervous when i read a review where the reviewer said that he was wearing the holster at home, and ended up chasing his dog for some reason, and felt the gun start to move in the holster. Since I planned to be carrying in a city, reaching for the weapon for any reason other than its intended made me nervous. Are there holsters above that have particularly good retention?

Also, is there a way to conceal a serpa holster? or is it just too much? Are there types or cuts of clothing that are good for, or have been designed for concealed carry?
    You could use an all kydex holster, like something from Comp-tac or other quality makers, that have adjustable retention. I can screw down my CTAC to the point that I have to give myself a wedgie to get the gun out.

OR

You could also go with a leather holster with a thumb break/strap. Takes a little more training but that gun isn't going to just fall out of the holster. Also, be very careful when reholstering. No one has ever won a gun fight reholstering their gun fast, take it slow.

Lots of custom leather holster makers will add a thumb break/strap to their models or you can buy something that all ready is designed with it on.

Plastic is always good IMO.

Sponsored Links