Cleaning leather holsters?

This is a discussion on Cleaning leather holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a few used leather holsters and am wondering if there is anything I can use to clean them up and not damage the ...

Thread: Cleaning leather holsters?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Cleaning leather holsters?

I bought a few used leather holsters and am wondering if there is anything I can use to clean them up and not damage the leather? Is it OK to keep occasionally cleaning my holsters after a sweaty day or two?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I clean mine with a leather cleaning cream. It gets the gunkies off and keeps the leather from drying out.
    Some of the leather conditioners and cleaners leave an oily shiny look that I don't like.
    Check with a boot shop or saddle shop for some you like and see how much nicer that holster will look.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I'm sure a holster maker would cringe but

IF its just dusty a damp (wrung out completely) washcloth wipe down. If it real dirty a dab of saddle soap does the leather good. I figure its good enough for my saddle for the last 10 years holster will be fine.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    IF its just dusty a damp (wrung out completely) washcloth wipe down. If it real dirty a dab of saddle soap does the leather good.
    After wiping with a damp cloth, make sure you allow the holster to completely dry in front of a fan or moving air. NEVER use any type of oil or petroleum product on a holster.

Personally, I wipe the dust off mine with a slightly moistened cloth and allow to air dry. If the interior is dusty, I blow it out with compressed air.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

1943 - 2009
    This is the advice given by Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc. on their web site:

What can I do to maintain the appearance of my new leather?

Nothing much needs to be done other than an occasional waxing to help maintain appearance. That applies to items with the smooth-out finish only! Rough out finishes such as on our SS-2 and Summer Special holsters, should be left as is except for maybe an occasional wipe down with a damp cloth.

Do not use silicone, oil, or any leather conditioning product that advertises itself as an aid to help soften leather.

Angelus has a product we use called Lustre Cream and it is available in both cordovan and black. Fiebings, Carnauba wax is also a good protectorate for smooth leather, but will oxidize on the leather surface if not used or buffed occasionally.

One product we recommend wholeheartedly is Renaissance Wax. Renaissance can be purchased direct from the above link, or you can purchase it directly through us. It is the only product we have found that will not permanently discolor our tan colored finish and it works great on black and cordovan finishes as well! You can even use it on metal and wood. We generally stock the small, 65ml tin for resale, as we found that a little bit goes a long way.
    Milt Sparks Holsters

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    You definitely don't want to use any leather conditioners or oils. No offense Rugergirl, but it's strongly advised against to use them. Saying you use "creams", doesn't necessarily recommend a specific product, so I can't discredit what you use.

Damp cloth for cleaning, let dry. Kiwi or similar cake wax for polishing.

Most holsters are molded stiff, which is how they were intended. Anything introduced to the leather that softens/moistens may take away from the rigidity and retention of your holster.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Damp cloth then...Obenaufs. Obenauf's Leather Care Products. You will not be sorry I use it on ALL my leather form my 200+ dollar Danner boots to my leather holsters wallets and belts. Get their White Jaguar cleaner then a light coat of Heavy Duty LP paste. After the paste...use a blow dryer to melt in the wax to the lather and stitching.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Don't want to highjack but what if they have a little mold on them. I have one that got stuffed in a bag and put in the cellar and it has a fine layer on a couple spots? I'm blaming the wife for this one.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Don't want to highjack but what if they have a little mold on them. I have one that got stuffed in a bag and put in the cellar and it has a fine layer on a couple spots? I'm blaming the wife for this one.
    I'd probably toss them??

Maybe a little bleach/water solution to kill the mold. Let em dry and wax them.

Most likely, it has penetrated the leather, though. They're probably toast.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Nate is right on both accounts.

If you know the make of the holster, you can check there site for care options. Dry or slightly damp cloth works best for mine.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Damp cloth and allow to air dry. NO BLOW DRYERS, NO OVEN, NO MICROWAVE. This may sound silly, but it is done.
    Saddle soap is good for maintenance. I use Galco Leather Conditioner as well. Galco recommends Hard Bar glycerin, saddle soap, Apple conditioner or Galco Leather Conditioner.
    IWB will need more conditioning than belt holsters due to sweat.
    Life is for the living, sleep is for the dead.

Lexol.....avalible at all saddle shops , will clean and condition without darkening or softening leather. I have been using it for 30+ years on saddles and custom holsters with no adverse effects. FYI....even Galco recomended Lexol untill they came up with their own brand conditioner.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bellino View Post
    Lexol.....avalible at all saddle shops , will clean and condition without darkening or softening leather. I have been using it for 30+ years on saddles and custom holsters with no adverse effects. FYI....even Galco recomended Lexol untill they came up with their own brand conditioner.
    We still recommend Lexol. Basically any condition that doesn't soften the leather.
    Life is for the living, sleep is for the dead.

Links