Ordered a Smart Carry holster Today

This is a discussion on Ordered a Smart Carry holster Today within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a Smart Carry holster for my Glock 26 today. I wanted a holster that I can use during the warmer months down here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered a Smart Carry holster Today

Ordered a Smart Carry holster Today

I ordered a Smart Carry holster for my Glock 26 today. I wanted a holster that I can use during the warmer months down here in Florida. You know March through November!

I was thinking that this should be good for those trips out with the dog at 3 am, under the bathrobe. And for those days when all I want to wear is some gym shorts or lightweight cotton pants.

I'm experimenting with my clothing to try and fit in with people around me a little bit better. Jeans, t-shirt and a cover shirt are a bit much when the temps get close to 100. That's my normal attire if its below 85 degrees.

I had considered a smaller lighter carry gun but decided against it. I'm too fond of my Glock.

How do you hot weather folks carry and what do you normally wear on those fry an egg on the sidewalk days?

2. Remove Ads

SmartCarry holsters are very convenient and, in many cases, practical. Depending on my attire and activity in the summer, I either carry IWB tuckable or SC, and usually carry a BUG in an ankle holster when wearing casual pants. If I'm wearing cargo shorts I would put my BUG in a Mika pocket holster.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I have been thinking about the Smart Carry myself. Make sure you come back and give us an update on how you like it when it comes in.
    I am looking for something that is deep conceal for carrying at work where I don't want to take any chances on getting made.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

My SmartCarry will ship this week.

I placed the order online at 2:35 PM on Sunday March 8th.
    At 2:39 I got an email thanking me for creating an account.
    At 2:43 I got an order confirmation email.
    At 5:47 I got an email saying my order would be shipped this week.

This is a good beginning! I will let you all know when it arrives.

I Smartcarry my M&P40c during the summer months. I wear pleated shorts with a deep inseam. Have the weapon ride low as possible, the muzzle touching the inseam crotch area. Your sweet spot may differ, Smartcarry is not for everyone. I give it a big thumbs up!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Ron
    When the weather heats up I wear shorts and a t shirt. I can conceal my Kimber Ultra Carry in a Little Bear OWB holster, with the T shirt being a bit loose fitting.

I would think that an IWB holster would conceal your Glock with no problem.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I've been carrying my Glock 27 in a Smart Carry for 6 months. It took me about a Couple of weeks to get Comfortable with it, I carried with an empty Chamber to get Comfortable with it because I was afraid of it going off near the family jewels. The Trigger is well protected, Now I'm able to carry with Chamber loaded and I am able to be armed at all times. I personally like my MTAC, because the draw is quicker, but the Smart Carry allows me to carry when I need deep concealment, it allows me to be armed and ready at all times.

I have Milt Sparks,H.B.E.,K&D,Side Gaurd,Galco,Gould Goodrich,Desantis,Black Hawk.Don Hume,IWB,and OWB Holsters,im in Tennessee,so yo can wear either way,meaning if you dare,..but I got mine in the mail,last Friday,it was in the 70s,here in TN. all weekend,worked in the yard,mowing grass,raking leaves,taking the tarp,off my camper and trailer,on my knees bending all weekend,and it worked great,all I had to wear was my cargo shorts,no belt,a tank top shirt,and was loving it no, holster.....Dont get me wrong,If I was going out some where with geans or dress clothes on id wear a holster,on my belt,but running around ,with shorts,working in yard,walking ect. and in the winter I wear aa lot of sweat pants,Jogging pants,whatever you want to call them,.They are comfey loose fitting ,no belt just a draw string,So I plan on using it in summer ,and all year around,it depends on what im wearing.It just gives you another option.Took a few hours to get use to it,but by the second day,I forgot I was wearing it.Oh yeah,I was carring a Glock 27 which is sub compact,fit perfict,extra -mag on left,gun on right....dont knock it till you try it I work outside in the summertime,so it will help protect my gun from sweat and my expensive holsters from sweat,then you can just throw it the laudry,and let it dry naturaly not to harm the material or elastic,its all in the instructions that come with it...I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am going to mine this summer ill be weaing mine every weekday,Holster at night.... One by day....The other by night.

i'm a floridian born here and lived here most of my life. quit wearing shorts in elementary school. i guess that makes me an odd ball it'll be 90+ out and i'll have jeans and a t-shirt on. hot as hell but i always seem to cut up my legs when i wear shorts so i only wear them doing yard work and even then not always. been carrying for almost 3 years now and i still carry iwb for my p345 and xd 45. maybe with the new belt i've got coming i can try something not a iwb but so far haven't liked the way they "flop" around, granted they are cheapo holsters. regardless of what i wear i'm always going to be hot anything over 80 is hot for me so i just wear jeans. i somehow seem to keep cleaner that way

I've been using my SmartCarry for about a year. If you wear jeans alot with it, keep an eye where the grip rubs against them. I've had to put some iron-on patches inside my jeans so the grip doesn't rub a hole in them.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by georgewain View Post
    My SmartCarry will ship this week.

I placed the order online at 2:35 PM on Sunday March 8th.
    At 2:39 I got an email thanking me for creating an account.
    At 2:43 I got an order confirmation email.
    At 5:47 I got an email saying my order would be shipped this week.

This is a good beginning! I will let you all know when it arrives.
    You will find the product a good one and Charlie a good guy to deal with. You know you have 60 day to decide if you like it.

As mentioned above by others, it also took me several weeks to work out satisfactory solutions to all carry situations; sitting, standing, squatting, bending, being a couch potato, roughhousing with the grand kids, etc. as well as transitioning between them. The only carry situation that I was never satisfied with is driving, so I added a ClipDraw so that I could holster at 10:00 while driving.

The SmartCarry is my EDC for a full sized M&P 45 with a companion 14-round extended magazine. I wear it with everything; jeans, slacks, suit pants, dockers, ... The only two clothing items I cannot vouch for are cargo pants and shorts. Don't own either.

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

SmartCarry is a great holster...great concealment...comfortable. Charlie is a great guy...former Marine. Blackjack is correct - use some iron on's on the inside of your pants so the hammer doesn't wear out the fabric. Solved my "problem" with the next largest size holster for my P345...no problems since that time. Still having problems carrying my CZ RAMI 2075 comfortably - probably due to carrying too much weight around the middle. I'm squaring that away now...the P345 conceals much more comfortably than the RAMI, if you can imagine such a thing!
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

George, I have a "Thunder Wear" which I believe is roughly comparable to the "Smart Carry". I never could get it to not print.

Changed trousers, still printed. Wore the holster higher, so the grip was just behind my belt. Reduced the printing, but whenever I sat the gun would pop above the belt. That just wouldn't do. Frustrated, I tossed the dreadful thing back into the holster drawer. Then, a couple of months ago, I tried it again, this time wearing it low. No, lower. Lower, still. Finally, the G-27 was at genital level. The bbl of my G-27 was at the top (maybe a little below the top) of my left trouser leg.

And the gun disappeared.

Then I tried drawing and dryfiring (using that "blinking" laser devise that is so useful for these things) and found that, after a bit of practice, I could draw and "fire" in about one second, plus or minus.

The pouch holster immediately became my favorite, and, with a little experimentation, it will likely become yours. Deep concealment with only a bit slower draw stroke. Splendid, splendid holster.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Luv mine... and getting it low is the key. I see people write, "yer gonna shoot yerself in the crotch with that thing" on boards all the time. If so, you are wearing it WAY too high. You gotta wear it low, like a codpiece... in front of and covering "the boys"... in the event of an AD, you should be bleeding from the knee, not the nads....

Here's something else I love about the SmartCarry... when you are just puttering around the house, pull it outside your pants and swing it over to the 3:00 position (or 9:00, for the lefties). So very, very comfortable outside the pants... I have a full size Sig 220 hanging off my hip right now.

You hear people say that their holster is so comfortable they forget they are armed... that never happens with me, with OWB, an MTAC IWB, or the SmartCarry... I am always aware of my gun.

But swing that baby around to 3-4 o'clock outside the pants, and I really do forget it around the house...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Finally got to the computer. It's been a hectic week and I didn't want to put up a hurried post.

First off, my SmartCarry arrived on Wednesday. That is fantastic! I only live about an hour north of Largo, where they are made. Even considering how close I am, I was still impressed with the fast delivery.

First impressions are quite favorable. This is quality manufacturing. Well made, quality materials and excellent sewing. Everything looks perfect.

My first tryout was under my bathrobe. This was what I was looking for. Held the gun secure and was totally hidden from view.

Then I put on some lounge pants. You know, basically lightweight cotton pajama bottoms. This worked out great. The pants are real comfortable but if you put anything in the pockets they will fall down. Another success! Ha! My pants stayed up!

Today I tried it out with my jeans. My wife said that she couldn't see anything. This may take a bit off getting used to, but I think this will work out. I'll keep it on all day today. I don't know how long it will take me to get used to it but I'm going for it.

I 've got a good feeling about the SmartCarry. Quite comfortable.

Definitely a low rider! I probably would not have worn it low enough on my own. I can't see how you can shoot yourself in the family jewels if you put it on correctly.

On a whim I stuck my S&W J frame in it and was amazed at how it felt like I wasn't even carrying.

Thanks for all the advise. I'll let you know when I get totally used to it. Or if anything happens that changes my current opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links