Backpacking

Backpacking

This is a discussion on Backpacking within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone carry while backpacking? I have a USP Compact and a Model 60 that I'm deciding between, but also trying to figure out a good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking

Backpacking

Anyone carry while backpacking? I have a USP Compact and a Model 60 that I'm deciding between, but also trying to figure out a good way to carry on the trail.

Thanks for any help!

depends on the weather, I sometimes use the cargo pockets for my 27 or just use a owb holster.

My pack has little pockets around the waist belt that fit the glock perfectly.

VIP Member
    I love backpacking, and I prefer to OC while backpacking, that would be my recomendation, if it's legal where you are. Your normal carry method wouldn't be a bad idea either, it is what you are used to.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Pocket carry my 642 J-frame, when out backpacking it's all about the weight!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    OC, pocket carry, & OWB under cover garment depending on location I'm hiking at.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I do both off-trail wilderness hiking (totally solo), and normal 'trail walking' usually with the wife.

For the trail walking I carry what I always carry, the same way I always carry it.

For the off-trail deep-woods hiking I carry the biggest thing I have, which unfortunately is only a .357 I doubt that it will stop a bear.

As I've said here many times, I've come across small pot farms while deep-woods hiking and that's my biggest concern. Then bears, then the usual types one has to guard against.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I've OC'd in a military style rig before while backpacking, haven't gone in a long time.

You might want to have a look at the Wilderness Safe Packer, it's a versatile case/holster that was actually designed for use by armed professionals while carrying packs. I've got one and use it for various car carry/night uses (with it's available sling I can have the Desert Warrior with mounted light and spare mag on me in a second, and even keep as a back up to the lighted 870 Remington).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I haven't carried while backpacking yet, but I was trying to think about how to do this before as well. I was thinking a drop leg style holster might work well. OWB carry might be difficult with a good bit of gear on.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Senior Moderator
    I carry a Taurus 605
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    You could wear one of those really tacticool chest or thigh holsters!

Seriously though.... ankle carry may be a good option.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

There was a great feature on this very thing on The Best Defense with Michael bane the other night. They were featuring full size revolovers in crossdraws to stay out of the way of pack starps and what not. plus the Big revos usually have bigger rounds and are more rugged in general. Checkout downrange.tv they probably have video there.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If I'm hiking in bear or mtn lion country I want to carry a large revolver. The largest revolver I currently own is a GP100 357 Mag. This gun carrys well in my Camelbak Goblin.

I have not yet carried while backpacking.. but what I carry would depend heavily on who I was with, and what I wanted to protect myself from! I have little fear of the animals that you would encounter near where I live, however the two legged predators scare me. So I would not carry looking to be able to defend my self from a bear, but would probably go for light, (air weight j-frame).

just a little side note that goes with this subject...those of you that carry while in backcountry (especially with bear and boar), do you think something like 9mm hst is sufficient, or do you opt for a larger caliber. Obviously a 45 would likely be better for this situation, but would the 9mm suffice?
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

For me, while in bear country, it's 12 gauge, .44mag or .357mag.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links