On the belt outside the waist band Kydex for Glock 23

This is a discussion on On the belt outside the waist band Kydex for Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recommendations on quality manufacturers of Kydex outside the waist band holsters? I have seen the video on You Tube of a Kydex holster being literally ...

Thread: On the belt outside the waist band Kydex for Glock 23

Recommendations on quality manufacturers of Kydex outside the waist band holsters? I have seen the video on You Tube of a Kydex holster being literally ripped off some ones belt. It is my understanding that the holster was a Fobus and that it has inferior rivets and that is why it was easy to remove. Any suggestions and comments? Regards

VIP Member
    I hadn't seen this video before, good as a heads up. I have several Fobus paddle holsters.

YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    This has come up before (kind of) on DC with regard to Serpa holsters. The Fobus and the video are brought up. It seems the Fobus problem was with earlier models.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...c-holster.html
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Fobus is NOT Kydex, it's injection molded plastic and the video on youtube is considerably OLD. The new fobus gear will not do that.

Also, Kydex is much stronger than plastic by far. My favorite is Raven Concealment. Comp-Tac is also good, but for OWB the concealment aspect will be more difficult due to the way their holsters tend to stick out from the belt line.

There are others, and you'll have to shop around.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Fobus is plastic, not kydex as per their website. Uncle Mike is injection molded kydex, not thermoformed kydex. When they liquify the kydex for the injection machines, the liquification ruins some of the better qualities of kydex, leaving it brittle.

The best kydex holsters are therefore thermoformed kydex, made by craftsman such as Dan Hillsman, RM Kydex, an others.

Kydex has excellent speed of presentation and is very compact, making for an excellent concealment holster. Of course, leather is a few millimeters thicker at both sides but you don't have as much worry about breakage.

You will not have any problem with someone breaking off your kydex holsters.
    In fact, IMO, the Fobus video is largely hokey in that would you just stand there while someone ran up to you and ripped off your holster?
    If CC then how would anyone even know it was there?

I had a friend whom I asked to rip my Fobus off and he gave a jerk and failed. I do not believe that with one in good shape it is all that easily broken. I have been using Fobus paddle holsters for at least 10 years with no problems except I had to work with one for a G26 to get it loose enough to accept the gun. Newer models with an adjustment screw take care of that.

I use them at the range, and often carry my 642 in one. I use one for my P3AT, and don't even have a leather holster for it.

I am not saying that Fobus is equal to Comp-tac for instance, but it is a satisfactory holster for carrying your gun if you like a paddle and OWB. It has gotten a bad rap, and I will not argue with anyone who says he has had a bad experience with Fobus. However, I have not, and recommend the Fobus paddle to someone whose budget is tight, and needs a holster. Yes, I am willing to stake my life on it, and do almost daily since I carry the P3AT more than any of my guns.

Regards,
    Jerry

kpw
    Comp-Tac makes some nice stuff. Their belt holster is made from one piece. Not easy to break. JSholsters makes a very nice paddle. Worth the extra money over Fobus. Blade-Tech is pretty good as well.

Look at FIST. Their stuff looks nice and they have a short wait itme with reasonable prices.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I ordered the Comp Tac OWB adjustable cant deluxe. The Kydex holster will come with the belt mount and a paddle mount. We'll see how it works. I ordered a gun belt from Beltman in NC. I like the looks of the straight up and down OWB kydex but I want the ability to cant the Glock 23 to suit my comfort and minimize printing. Thanks for all the inputs

Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Links